Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Why exactly dos it 'suck'?

Only problem people have had with it is the cam sprocket failures......

Ryan Trollin!
G
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
G
I own a V8, and it's definitely not slow.

and where did you read that Yamaha had no part in the production of the 3.4 V8? I'd like to read it also.

Karen aim: Mynx xoxo 2003 Nissan Maxima SE previously owned: 99 Taurus SHO "I drive a Ford Taurus S-H-O... and let me just say, that's a pretty sweet ride." - Conan O'brien
N
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
N
Posted in the Forced Induction forum by kerrychin:

The article from Road & Track says:

"Take the engine, another Ford/Yamaha joint effort that's a marvel of compactness and refinement. The steel-sleeved aluminum powerplant is space efficient out of necessity because, according to product design engineer Ted L. Byers, the V-8 had to be designed to fit the Taurus' V-6-size bay without changing any sheet metal. It's based on the Duratec 2.5-liter V-6 and shares its bore (82.4 mm), stroke (79.5 mm) and bore spacing, as well as its pistons and connecting rods. For extra rigidity, a stressed aluminum oil pan bolts to the underside of a girdle that supports the crankshaft's main bearings and forms the lower part of the block "Everything from the head gaskets down is Ford," beams Byers."

Kerry

So, sounds to me like Yamaha did the heads, and maybe the intake (?) as well, but Ford designed everything else.

Shawn Clone Jezabel- 1999 SE Sport V6 MTX- Severly wounded, comatose Silver frost/Black Exterior-Midnight Blue Interior The Firecracker- 1995 Mystique LS V6 MTX stock and backfiring like a rifle shot I have 3 loves, my God, Brittany, and my Car.
D
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
D
Yes, Yamaha did the heads..IIRC the blocks were shipped to Yamaha for final assembly.

Interesting thing is that Yamaha screwed up the cam sporcket design...

And what Yamahammer has made 500 HP N/A??? Per SHO-shop website, a 3.2 with the full boltons/headwork/hottest stage 4 cams is around 235 FWHP. Thats a long way off....

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760) "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard (as posted by Jato)
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
IIRC it was a 3.6L s/ced version?? I know Nick can't remember his last name is around 450ish, don't remember if that is wheel or crank tho....they are up there.....

Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Yes, Yamaha did the heads..IIRC the blocks were shipped to Yamaha for final assembly.

Interesting thing is that Yamaha screwed up the cam sporcket design...

And what Yamahammer has made 500 HP N/A??? Per SHO-shop website, a 3.2 with the full boltons/headwork/hottest stage 4 cams is around 235 FWHP. Thats a long way off....

Ryan Trollin!
A
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by tboner:
The last gen SHO had a 3.4L V8, tis true.

I do believe the LS and T-Bird have a 3.9L V8, but who's counting.

TB

sorry, your right, I got confused ,I always get the V8 mixed up with the 3.8 V6

91' civic sedan.iceman CAI
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
I know the V6 motor can make more than 235hp at the wheels... easy. SHOShop has superchargers that say it'll add alot more than that. As for the V8 I know yamaha did not put together the V8's that's why Ford stopped useing the V6, to save shipping costs. I don't know for sure about the heads but I was told my a owner of a 98 that when he had to have the heads replaced it took weeks for the parts to come in, and he said they were from Ford?. I find it hard to believe that the intake was designed by Yamaha since it work completly different than the V6 intakes (Which is an amazing set-up). And why do I think the V8 sucked?, I work at a dealership and get to talk to different people from dealerships all around Texas and I hear of more things going wrong with the V8 than the V6's. (I still would like to see a V8 SHO with 300,000+ miles with no rebuild, or one that runs perfect after 160,000 miles with no rebuild). I have out ran every 96-99 SHO I've gone against, rather I was in my stock SHO or the one with mods. In my opinion the 3.0l V6 Yamaha SHO motor is one of the best V6 motors ever made. It's reliable and powerfull.

Dustin
1993 Taurus SHO MTX
1994 Taurus SHO ATX

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
believe what you may.......

Originally posted by Levand16:
I know the V6 motor can make more than 235hp at the wheels... easy. SHOShop has superchargers that say it'll add alot more than that. As for the V8 I know yamaha did not put together the V8's that's why Ford stopped useing the V6, to save shipping costs. I don't know for sure about the heads but I was told my a owner of a 98 that when he had to have the heads replaced it took weeks for the parts to come in, and he said they were from Ford?. I find it hard to believe that the intake was designed by Yamaha since it work completly different than the V6 intakes (Which is an amazing set-up). And why do I think the V8 sucked?, I work at a dealership and get to talk to different people from dealerships all around Texas and I hear of more things going wrong with the V8 than the V6's. (I still would like to see a V8 SHO with 300,000+ miles with no rebuild, or one that runs perfect after 160,000 miles with no rebuild). I have out ran every 96-99 SHO I've gone against, rather I was in my stock SHO or the one with mods. In my opinion the 3.0l V6 Yamaha SHO motor is one of the best V6 motors ever made. It's reliable and powerfull.

Dustin
1993 Taurus SHO MTX
1994 Taurus SHO ATX

Ryan Trollin!
L
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
L
believe what I may? I bet my SHO is pushing close to 200hp at the wheels with a cold air intake and the exhast. I've seen stock V6's dyno with 192-193hp at the wheels.

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
and your point???

I'm not talking about the Yamaha, we are talking V8....

Originally posted by Levand16:
believe what I may? I bet my SHO is pushing close to 200hp at the wheels with a cold air intake and the exhast. I've seen stock V6's dyno with 192-193hp at the wheels.

Ryan Trollin!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard