Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
heya Guys and gals.. here's a question for you all... how difficult is it to replace the primary catalytic converters?
These are the converters that are supposedly in the lower manifold... Is it hard, easy, what?
I was quoted a $1,440 price tag on the piece of crud, and want to know if I can just do it at home.. Do I need special tools?
According to the guy at the dealership (as my car is still under warranty, I brought it there when the "Check Engine" light went on), bumber to bumper warrantys do not cover this.. is he full of it or not?

I look forward to hearing from you all, and appologize for my incoherent typing... I'm a bit in shock at the prices he quoted me...

Cheers,
Tom

1998 E0 Contour SVT #2478/6535 B.O.D. Wed, 07/16/97 P.O.D. 09/14/97 Black/Midnight Blue Mods: - Diablo Chip (RJL1) - Ultrawhite headlights, Sylvania 885 foglights - Panasonic CD-DF801U, Autotek 4160 amp, Neo 35 MP3, Lanzar NEO8 and VX572's
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Isn't emission equipment covered under warranty, I thought it was actually covered longer than the 3/36.

Try this link http://www.ford.com/en/ourServices/shoppingAdvice/warrantiesAndExtendedServicePlans/warranties.htm

So your exhaust manifold cats are bad? or your main cat in the factory Y-pipe location.

Either way, its not too hard of a fix.

If its in your manifold it is a tough job getting to the rear cyliner bank manifold but can be done. Worst part is breaking the bolts free. Guys who are running gutted cats in there manifolds have pulled em off and those who have installed Headers have all had to pull em off. There should be a how to on making MIL eliminators to keep you CEL code off.

If its your main Cat in Y-pipe, you can replace the cat with on from the www.summitracing.com catalog or replace the entire Y with one from SHO shop, BAT , or Performance Fords.

Hope it helps.

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
There isa way to kill the mil.... let me see if I can find the site.... It was for mustangs, but all OBDII systems work the same. I will post here if I can find it.

I found it... here is the link, BTW, I can make these for people for a nominal charge, if your not electronically inclined. Shipping would be minimal, as the assembly is VERY small.

MIL KILL

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Last edited by 99MercMystLS25; 08/21/02 09:18 AM.

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
M
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
M
I got a CE light for a bad cat just before the 50k barrier. I needed a new cat. I got it replaced FREE under warranty. There is no way that you'll have to pay for that if you're under the warranty. Either go to another service guy, or go to another ford dealer. He's full of crap!

Shawn Mims 98 Silver SVT 180k miles #1859 15% tint(rear 3) 35%(side 2) Sony cd-rw/mp3 player
S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
I made the rediculous error of not taking my Diablo Chip out of the car before taking it in...
They said that the chip voided the warrantee.. REgardless, I'm just going to take the precats out, and put in eliminators...

Cheers,
Tom

--------- 1998 E0 Contour SVT #2478/6535 B.O.D. Wed, 07/16/97 P.O.D. 09/14/97 Black/Midnight Blue
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
Well, they are full of it, the law says they cannot void the warranty for installing aftermarket parts, that would be a monopoly. I suggest you take the chip out when you do have it serviced, it will make it less hasslesome, but Aftermarket parts DO NOT VOID THE WARRANTY. I would go to another dealer or raise hell with that one, tell them to show you where it says that in the warranty that 'no aftermarket parts can be installed'. Dont let them BS you, they are just trying to get out of doing the work to your car.

Here is some food for thought:
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act still protects consumers. It is the dealers responsibility to PROVE in a court of law that any change you make to your car is the EXACT cause of the failure in question. The law is
on the side of the consumer and protects us; it does not protect the
manufacturer. We donā??t have to prove our modification was not at fault, they have to prove that it was at fault. That is very hard for them to do and they know
it. This is why dealerships resort to scare tactics in some cases hoping that the consumer will blink and not modify their cars.

Last edited by 99MercMystLS25; 08/23/02 01:08 AM.

Metal Thunder Dragon, AKA Matthew Blakeley Electronics Tech '99 Mercury Mystique LS - Loaded '96 Ford Explorer Sport - Standard '90 Ford Taurus L - Rusting silently in the back Iraq-Land of the lost!
C
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
C
I think I remember emissions related items being covered for like 7 years. I had my gas tank replace last year under that stipulation.

Moderated by  Fmr12B_dup1, path914 

Link Copied to Clipboard