Print Thread
J
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
J
Hey Guys,

Im in the states and interested in buying a certain SVT for sale in your area

I was wondering if anyone knew what it would take for me to get the car to the states in terms of title transfer, legalities, all that crap the govt. makes us deal with.

Much thanks!

H
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
H
I think most of the info you need will be US requirements since you will want to insure and plate vehicle in order to drive it back. This site will give you our Ontario resident requirements:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.htm

Not being a resident you will not of course be able to register a vehicle as either fit or unfit, nor will you be able to get trip permit.

If your state has safety and emission test requirements they may not be able to be done here since normally the testers have to be locally licenced.

Alternate is of course to have unlicenced car transported to your state. A neighbour of mine recently shipped a car to Oregon and had one shipped from California. If you wish I can get the name of the car carrier he used.

p.s. Here is our Federal government requirements re importing, I'm sure USA will have something less stringent.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html

98 Mystique LS v6 atx 163,000km 97 Contour LX v6 atx 163,000km
R
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
R
I actually did a bit of research on that topic awhile ago while I was trying to sell a car. This is a bit of information geared more towards the seller but it might give you an idea.

The Vehicle must be taken to a canadian dealership with the name and address of the buyer so they can perform tests on it. These tests are so the seller can recieve a certificate that enables them to sell it into the states.
Cost(Aprox 100-150$CDN)

Duty in the amount of 2.5% of the selling price or the book value, which ever is highest. SURPRISE!
Cost=2.5% of the vehicle's value

I think there may be a third item but i'm not sure, this information was given to me by cutoms at the houlton, me border.

The bottom line is...I doubt the seller will pay for these things so the expenses will come out of your pocket most likely. So you'll have to spend a little extra, but if it's a good car I say go for it! Just remember, you might be stuck with a bill for the certificate tests only to find out the thing can't be sold into the states .

Hope it's a help, good luck on getting an SVT

Alec

'95 GL Zetec ATX PM Me for pre-98 parts, my parts car must go!
K
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
K
Just think, your speedo will say that you can go 240!

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760, DMD 98 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Tiptronic, 30V -- SOLD! 91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus Victoria, BC, Canada

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard