Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
J
I worked at the plant in Windsor, ON that made the blocks and heads for the Duratec. Their blowing? You don't say?!?! That's what happens when their made of aluminum that was always needing adjustments chemically. And, what's worse, when some 18-year old student is in charge!

C
Coors Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by svtnos:
well im offiially in the list... they told me my motorhas to be replaced and that they need to see recites (sp?) of oil changes... im not sure where they all are frown

If you had it serviced at a shop or many shops. Most of them keep records of your car. You can go back and have them print out your maintenance record with them. That is how I recovered mine. Good luck.

Chad
-----------------
http://www.1dzine.com
jetski@mindless.com
98.5 SVT ? KKM Tru Rev ? Glasspack instead of resonator ? Dyno Max Super Turbo Muffler w/Brospeed 3.5" Rolled tips ? Brembo/KVR Cross Drilled Cadnium Front Rotors and KVR Carbon Brake Pads ? Blown Engine Replaced @ 41K
S
S
thing is i bought my own oil and had ford do the work a couple times while i did it myself the other times...

99 svt contour
-its fast. period.
91 mustang gt
-its faster. period.
86 Buick Grand National
- its way faster, double period!
C
Coors Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Quote:
thing is i bought my own oil and had ford do the work a couple times while i did it myself the other times...

Not sure how that would work then. I would come up with whatever receipts you can and just explain to them that you do your own oil changes.

Chad
-----------------
http://www.1dzine.com
jetski@mindless.com
98.5 SVT ? KKM Tru Rev ? Glasspack instead of resonator ? Dyno Max Super Turbo Muffler w/Brospeed 3.5" Rolled tips ? Brembo/KVR Cross Drilled Cadnium Front Rotors and KVR Carbon Brake Pads ? Blown Engine Replaced @ 41K
M
M
I keep a gas book on my cars which I write in where I replace parts/performance parts/oil changes ect...

I would get receipts of you oil changes, I would get receipts of Oil you have bought. See if you Credit Card or Bank who you used can get you the dates you baught the supplies so you can show them that you did get oil and change....

My dad had a extened warrenty on his Grand Marque and he changed the oil 3 times in the car. The car developed a rod knock at 72,000 miles. The dealer said if he can show prof of 5 oil changes that they would replace the motor! Duhhh, Since my dad got the Taurus in 96 with 0 miles he has changed the oil regularly... It has now 93,000 miles on her and is running strong!

Quote:

Merlin

281hp 324tq
Timing 14' FP 36,24lbs,190lph,75Maf,65tb,cobra upper&lower,B303, GT-40 Crate with X al heads, Mac shorties, Off Road H,2chamber Flow's dumped, Tokico 5wys, Hotichkis Ctrl Arms, Alum Drive shaft, 3.73, Sub Frame,Steeda Tri-Ax, 94 Seats Drivers side powered.
L
L
Svtnos, what's the update on your situation? Ford isn't going to help me.

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by jpb1977:
I worked at the plant in Windsor, ON that made the blocks and heads for the Duratec. Their blowing? You don't say?!?! That's what happens when their made of aluminum that was always needing adjustments chemically. And, what's worse, when some 18-year old student is in charge!

Could you elaborate more on your comments? I'm very interested in hearing what you have to say. smile confused

S
S
Well, here I am, joining a "blown engine" thread. Recently, I noticed noise in the engine bay that didn't sound good, and it only got worse. I was driving a few days ago on the freeway to get to a service station, and suddenly the noise became terrible. I happened to be approaching an exit, which I took and immediately coasted to a stop. As I did so, the engine died. I was able to restart it almost immediately, but it only ran a few seconds.

I had it towed to the dealer (actually a flat bed truck with winch). My precious SVT is now dead in the shop (local Ford dealer) ... I've been told the engine has gone to lunch, permanently. They don't know precisely what is wrong -- they said it could be a broken connecting rod -- but I was told it isn't worth spending the money to determine the details of what happened, and that a new engine is needed. A factory remanufactured engine, plus labor, will cost several $K. I would hate to spend several $K replacing the engine, when it might be something that could be repaired/replaced for $1K.

What would any of you do in my position ? We've got two babies . . . I've been laid off many months ago, with very lean fill-in income since . . . I'm starting college classes Monday and that cost me a lot of $$$ . . . the engine replacement will cost me roughly 15% of my personal savings . . . I must have my own car for work, school etc. . . . well, you get the idea.

To top it off, this SVT is in beautiful condition in every way aside from the blown engine. I cannot even dream of parting it out or selling it for street value as-is. And I owe roughly $10K or $11K on the loan.

What would you do ? I do technically have money to buy the new engine/installation. Does it make sense to go for it ? Are there other less costly avenues to have this done ? I understand that I cannot legally have an engine from any other year installed (my SVT is a 98). I even looked at eBay for an engine, or SVT being sold as is for parts, but .... nothing.

I can see from the posts that replacing an engine is somewhat routine for a few people out there, but it is far from a routine thing for me. I am obviously too upset to even think about this rationally. Again, what would you do in my shoes ? Thanks for reading, and thanks to anyone with constructive advice and/or some silver lining to a very dark cloud . . . sigh

Dave Gates
a California native in Northern VA
1998.5 Black Contour SVT
Contour SE rear spoiler
Window tint (40%)
Michelin Z 245/50-16s
S
S
I forgot to mention, my car is a black '98 Contour SVT. I have never been racing with it, I baby it a lot, and have it maintained religiously (not sure I could produce all records needed for a freebie engine replacement).
Except for the blown engine or whatever, everything is in beautiful condition, including an almost new set of 245/50-16 Michelins (almost $1,000), midnight blue leather interior, tinted windows ... you can see why it would kill me to even think of parting it out or something. Anyway, thanks again for "listening".

Dave Gates
a California native in Northern VA
1998.5 Black Contour SVT
Contour SE rear spoiler
Window tint (40%)
Michelin Z 245/50-16s
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by stargazer7:

What would any of you do in my position? We've got two babies . . . I've been laid off many months ago, with very lean fill-in income since . . . I'm starting college classes Monday and that cost me a lot of $$$ . . . the engine replacement will cost me roughly 15% of my personal savings . . . I must have my own car for work, school etc. . . . well, you get the idea.

To top it off, this SVT is in beautiful condition in every way aside from the blown engine. I cannot even dream of parting it out or selling it for street value as-is. And I owe roughly $10K or $11K on the loan.

What would you do ? I do technically have money to buy the new engine/installation. Does it make sense to go for it ? Are there other less costly avenues to have this done ? I understand that I cannot legally have an engine from any other year installed (my SVT is a 98). I even looked at eBay for an engine, or SVT being sold as is for parts, but .... nothing.

hang in there! if i were in your shoes, i would replace your blown SVT engine with a lightly-used 2.5L non-SVT Duratec engine. this is the most cost-effective option you have, IMO. heck, maybe one of the folks who have upgraded to a 3.0L will cut you a deal on their old 2.5L.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX
Newbie, but learning...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard