Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
The Engine can only be taken out from below correct?

Silver 98 SVT Contour E0
#4124 (Currently on Life Support)
Built 11/97 Bought 1/98
Eibach Pro Kit \ Koni \ Niche Pultec 17"x7.5 \ Yokohama Parada 215/17/40 \ Shaved Wheel wells / Brembo-KVR Cross Drilled Rotors / KVR Carbon Fibre Brake Pads / Aeroquip SS Brake Lines \ 21mm Rear Progress Tech. (Powder Coated Black) \ Superchips Auto Meter Pro Shift Light \ Extrude Honed \ Stripped Resonater Street Scene Free Flow Exhaust \ Injen Technology Prototype CAI \ Weapon R filter \ Hose Techniques Red Kit \ Folia Tec Red Caliper Paint \ MOMO (shift knob, pedals, seat belt pads) \ Clarion, Sounstream, Kicker \ Optima Red Top Battery \ SVT Emblem Mods
Jet Hot Coatings (25-30% Cooler) on Upper Intake Manifold, Sho Shop Y-Pipe, Cat, and CAI
"Come Out...Come Out Where Ever You Are"
http://www.geocities.com/speeddemons19
P
P
I am 90% sure that it can only be taken out from below.

-Colter
My Car
J
J
Nope, your both wrong. The engine and tranny can be taken out from above.

2001 Mercury Cougar
Aerogear WideBody Kit, Aerogear Carbon Fiber Hood
3.0 Hybrid 251hp and 229tq at the front wheels
Eibach springs, Koni Stuts, Aussie Bar, ST200 R Strut bar, OMP front Strut bar, 19" RPM's 235/35-19 Nitto 555's
All Alpine System - IVA-C801, DHA-s680, NVE-N852A, TCS-V430A, TMX-R705, TME-M580 x2, PXA-H900, MRD-M500 x2, MRV-f540 x2, SPS-0829, SPX-F17t, SPX-17m x2, SWR-1021D x4, RUX-4280
http://www.geocities.com/socal_neco/jimmy.htm
P
P
It can be, especially if you take it out piece by piece (bnoon?). Given the ability to lift the car off the subframe, it is much easier to drop it from below.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
S
S
It can be taken out the top without disassembly and with the transmission still attached. It's tight but it can be done. If you have the means, out the bottom is the way it was designed to come out.

Curtis
Dead 98 Black SVT
M
M
much more fun to take it out from the top. Me and j-lab got mine out from the top with trans in 4hrs. that was with beer and lunch break

Micah

97 Lx 3.0 MTX
lighten flywheel,udp's,kkm,no cat,true dual,svt tb,80mm maf,19lb injectors,S-afc,svt ground effects, 18's w/ yoko 215/40/18,front/rear strut braces,eibachs,egr gasket mod,

15.2@94 with 2 people in the car and a bad 1st gear wanna race?

micah_trudell@hotmail.com
B
B
If you have a way to do it safely, out the bottom is the way to go. Out the top is almost as easy though, requiring not much more time at all. More time from out the top comes mostly from having to disassemble the strut assemblies to be able to pull the axles from the tranny. Not difficult, just a bit more time involved. wink

FWIW, do not separate the engine/trans to get it out the top. The clearance is much more difficult to clear the clutch assembly past the trans than it is to pull the entire engine/trans combo and separate it outside of the vehicle. My first time I had the engin torn down to short block, lifted it out by hand to save money on renting a cherry picker. Wrong thing to do, but hey, I leanred from it! laugh

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
S
S
I dropped everything to the floor so I wouldn't have to mess with the struts/springs etc. I lowered the hole dang thing, subframe/engine/trans/struts/springs all attached. Then slid it from underneath and then removed the trans from the subframe/engine, then engine, left subframe sitting on floor with the strus/springs still attached. Just have to make the car little higher to make room for it all to slide out but it wasn't that hard. Especially for someone like me who has NEVER done anything like that before.

Are you needing to do this?

Simon W. Las Vegas.
96 SE V6 MTX Tereador Red (1st Blown Engine, better be the last!)
1999 SVT Engine
SVT Exhaust w/custom DTM Tips and optimized Y-pipe and no Res (thanks to Po-Jay!). LSD Quaife(thanks to Terry!), SCA CAI w/KKM, Grizzly clutch, FMS 9mm wires, Airknights custom short shifter.

"You can only get more rice at one time by ordering Chinese" - Davo7SVT
"it's only nuts and bolts" - Terry Haines
"Drive it like you stole it" - Me!
S
OP Offline
S
Yup pulling it out for the 3.0 Swap

Silver 98 SVT Contour E0
#4124 (Currently on Life Support)
Built 11/97 Bought 1/98
Eibach Pro Kit \ Koni \ Niche Pultec 17"x7.5 \ Yokohama Parada 215/17/40 \ Shaved Wheel wells / Brembo-KVR Cross Drilled Rotors / KVR Carbon Fibre Brake Pads / Aeroquip SS Brake Lines \ 21mm Rear Progress Tech. (Powder Coated Black) \ Superchips Auto Meter Pro Shift Light \ Extrude Honed \ Stripped Resonater Street Scene Free Flow Exhaust \ Injen Technology Prototype CAI \ Weapon R filter \ Hose Techniques Red Kit \ Folia Tec Red Caliper Paint \ MOMO (shift knob, pedals, seat belt pads) \ Clarion, Sounstream, Kicker \ Optima Red Top Battery \ SVT Emblem Mods
Jet Hot Coatings (25-30% Cooler) on Upper Intake Manifold, Sho Shop Y-Pipe, Cat, and CAI
"Come Out...Come Out Where Ever You Are"
http://www.geocities.com/speeddemons19

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard