Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Run a 3.0L?
Id like to buy the 3.0L but wasnt sure if I first needed to buy Apexi or Greddy computer components.

Silver 98 SVT Contour E0
#4124 (Currently on Life Support)
Built 11/97 Bought 1/98
Eibach Pro Kit \ Koni \ Niche Pultec 17"x7.5 \ Yokohama Parada 215/17/40 \ Shaved Wheel wells / Brembo-KVR Cross Drilled Rotors / KVR Carbon Fibre Brake Pads / Aeroquip SS Brake Lines \ 21mm Rear Progress Tech. (Powder Coated Black) \ Superchips Auto Meter Pro Shift Light \ Extrude Honed \ Stripped Resonater Street Scene Free Flow Exhaust \ Injen Technology Prototype CAI \ Weapon R filter \ Hose Techniques Red Kit \ Folia Tec Red Caliper Paint \ MOMO (shift knob, pedals, seat belt pads) \ Clarion, Sounstream, Kicker \ Optima Red Top Battery \ SVT Emblem Mods
Jet Hot Coatings (25-30% Cooler) on Upper Intake Manifold, Sho Shop Y-Pipe, Cat, and CAI
"Come Out...Come Out Where Ever You Are"
http://www.geocities.com/speeddemons19
T
T
I wonder if it's time for someone to post a new FAQ on the 3L?

1998 SE ATX
Dual exhaust
Body conversion
Nakamichi CD-40z HU
Sound by Crystal Mobile
Powered by a/d/s M860 AMP
My Ride
S
OP Offline
S
Sorry I know this question and the "how much $" has been asked many times.
Ive gone through alot of searches, my engine just died, i have no car, i get a ride back & forth to work now plus pick up my daughter three days in the middle of the week. Im trying to learn as much as I possibly can as well as find out how Im going to pay for a new engine vs. upgrading to 3.0L
Im weighing my options as well as looking for someone to pull out my engine and install all at once and as soon as possible.
Thanks for letting me vent. smile

Silver 98 SVT Contour E0
#4124 (Currently on Life Support)
Built 11/97 Bought 1/98
Eibach Pro Kit \ Koni \ Niche Pultec 17"x7.5 \ Yokohama Parada 215/17/40 \ Shaved Wheel wells / Brembo-KVR Cross Drilled Rotors / KVR Carbon Fibre Brake Pads / Aeroquip SS Brake Lines \ 21mm Rear Progress Tech. (Powder Coated Black) \ Superchips Auto Meter Pro Shift Light \ Extrude Honed \ Stripped Resonater Street Scene Free Flow Exhaust \ Injen Technology Prototype CAI \ Weapon R filter \ Hose Techniques Red Kit \ Folia Tec Red Caliper Paint \ MOMO (shift knob, pedals, seat belt pads) \ Clarion, Sounstream, Kicker \ Optima Red Top Battery \ SVT Emblem Mods
Jet Hot Coatings (25-30% Cooler) on Upper Intake Manifold, Sho Shop Y-Pipe, Cat, and CAI
"Come Out...Come Out Where Ever You Are"
http://www.geocities.com/speeddemons19
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed Demons:
Run a 3.0L?
Id like to buy the 3.0L but wasnt sure if I first needed to buy Apexi or Greddy computer components.
from what i've read, you'll want either an SAFC and piggy-back chip combo or the Greddy to tune the new motor.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX
Newbie, but learning...
W
W
You don't NEED any safc or emanage to tune the motor if you use the stock maf, injectors and svt pcm. It works as is. I learned that the hard way. It is nice to be able to tune the motor for those extra components that usually find their way on the car.

warmonger

You can call me anything you like as long as it's nice.(all lies accepted)
99 Silver Frost SVT. #226 of 2760
Engine: 3.0 power!
Unique Stuff: Sunroof control module (#1 of 9)
Car Audio: Loaded and loud!
Check them out at
http://home.earthlink.net/~twilson1726
P
P
FWIW, my A/F ratio was horrible (way lean at WOT) without the S-AFC on the stock injectors and PCM. Yeah, it ran. Just having the S-AFC gave me 12 fwhp/15 ft-lbs with the 19s (and I ran out of injector above 6000 RPM). Haven't dyno'ed with the 24's yet.

That said, I'm dealing with a detonation problem in high gear (when it's hot outside) that I suspect has to do with the load calculation by the PCM, which is the biggest problem with using a "MAF tricker" and a larger set of injectors. I don't think the S-AFC is the only cause, but one piece of that puzzle.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
W
W
There you have it, two separate projects with two separate outcomes. As far as the air fuel ratio, I had good AF ratio with the stock injectors and stock maf on my dyno runs of 214 and 217 HP. Even at high RPM, the fuel ratio was as low as 11.5:1. DavidZ ran stock pcm, maf, and injectors and his AF was good as well(according to my conversations with him).
PA3L , I really think your car is a 'special' case.

Once I had the emanage installed, I was able to record some real-time data about the car with the emanage recording feature.
With all my modification except the 70mm TB, but including the 24# injectors, the injector duty cyle never rose above 70% at full throttle and 6700 rpm.
The emanage software has beatiful real time analysis features and it has really come in handy.
Bottom line, you should put your engine together with the stock components and then go and measure it yourself before doing any hard driving. Then you will know if you need to spend the extra dollars.

warmonger

You can call me anything you like as long as it's nice.(all lies accepted)
99 Silver Frost SVT. #226 of 2760
Engine: 3.0 power!
Unique Stuff: Sunroof control module (#1 of 9)
Car Audio: Loaded and loud!
Check them out at
http://home.earthlink.net/~twilson1726
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger:
Bottom line, you should put your engine together with the stock components and then go and measure it yourself before doing any hard driving. Then you will know if you need to spend the extra dollars.
That right there is the best advice you can get on this matter. A project like this will be unique for every setup, and there are always going to be more "things" you can do. Until the new motor fires, you have no way of prioritizing those things until you get a little analysis done. All you can do at this point is research other people's experiences and decide what you know you'll need up front.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard