Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Direct cam on valve action - no rocker arms

Does that mean it does not have springs either? Cause from my limited understanding, no springs = no valve float which is ideal with turbos and other high speed applications. If my thinking on this is right that would mean the LS is the most chargeable of the bunch. Am I right on this or do I need a good cuffing?

Scott
96 SE, MTX, BAT 22mm rear anti-sway bar, BAT springs and Spax struts
96 Caprice, 9C1
Rayon is made of wood!!!
K
K
Quote:
Originally posted by gamiller:

i'm too ignorant to know what could be done with an LS motor that could not be done with a Taurus motor. if nobody enlightens me as to why to go with a motor that requires 3x more effort to make it fit, then i have little incentive to choose it, don't i?
Point well taken. A quick breakdown:

LS/Jag:
-direct acting buckets: cams sit directly above valves, leaving less wear parts in the valvetrain...making it a much better candidate for highly tuned engines (read:increased redline).

-jag heads can be fitted to the LS block, so you can do a Jag swap in steps...buy the LS long block and run that setup for a while, then when more wrecked jags show up, upgrade the engine to jag specs.

-soon, Jaguar will be targeting the BMW M3 and will be making a high performance X-Type...quite possibly using the 3.0 Duratec as the base engine, most likely with a S/C....which will then fit your car.

Those are just a few of the options that the Jag/LS Duratec offers, basically it is a more tunable engine if you are looking to make a serious buildup on your cdw-27 platform.

If high horsepower or a high redline aren't in your plans, Dan Nixon is right, a Taurus 3L will give you what you need without the added expense of the Jag/LS.

If you have any more questions let me know!

Regards,

Ryan

Latest Mod: Mirko Splitter
G
OP Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Krafty:
If high horsepower or a high redline aren't in your plans, Dan Nixon is right, a Taurus 3L will give you what you need without the added expense of the Jag/LS.
ahhhh. thanks, krafty!

1999 Cougar V6 MTX
Newbie, but learning...
D
D
Quote:
210-229 FWHP (250 to 270 crank HP) and 7500 RPM from the lowly Taurus/SVT hybrid aint bad.
Can you do Jag heads on a Taurus block??
Did they ever put forged rods or trimetalbearings in the Jag, now that may be worth some expense

PS....Also note that the "low tech" SVT 2.5 edges out the Jag 2.5 power wise (200 vs 194) and matches the 3L jag in specific output (.80). In your face Jaguar :p :p Go YANKS! Now I'm asking for it..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
T
T
Out of step Dan...rembember the Duratec is/was a 'European' design...'in your face Dearborn..! laugh

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
H
H
LOL- its not even a Ford Design!

'98 SVT #2253
Currently DEAD!
Cobra Paradise
J
J
Doesn't the Jag have more torque though? If so, chalk up another point for the Jaguar.

'99 SVT Contour
1298 of 2760
G
G
Where can you buy these CDs?
Is there just one Ford Shop Manual? Where can I get the Contour version.

Thanks, forgive my ignorance.

G
OP Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni:
Where can you buy these CDs?
Ebay. Check your PMs for more info.

1999 Cougar V6 MTX
Newbie, but learning...
G
OP Offline
G
"If there is any good news here, there are rumors circulating that the next Cougar will go back to rear drive, on the Lincoln LS platform, around 2004-05. Right now the LS chassis also hosts the Jaguar S, and the soon-to-be-released Thunderbird and next-generation Mustang. That means by the time the new Cat comes out (if it does), there will be a minimum of four kick-ass cars on that platform with plenty of high-performance parts available."

well, now, that provides another good reason: OEM & aftermarket support!

1999 Cougar V6 MTX
Newbie, but learning...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard