Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Administrator
Administrator
C
There is a TSB out that has a title of something like "Cam Timing Marks are Wrong"

I would be willing to bet you are a victim of this. The TSB also tells the builder where the correct mark is supposed to be. I think Terry can help with this as well.

-Chris Hightower-
-Hightower Performance Products, LLC

(Oo.«xx».oO)
o xxxxxxxxx o
S
OP Offline
S
warmonger

The email you previously sent regarding the dealer's scenario was spot on. Having said that, I will be towing the Contour from Bankston to John Eagle within the week. Long story, but the service manager at Bankston indicated that even if the motor in the Contour was good when it arrived at Bankston and his mechanics re-installed the timing gear incorrectly and damaged the motor, Bankston could not be held responsible because the 2.5L/3.0L is a hybrid motor. He also stated that if he had known about it, he would have never authorized his shop to help me out. He also, if you can believe this one, indicated that I had broken the law by switching to a larger (non stock) motor thereby altering the emmisions on the vehicle. I must say, he offered this last tidbit after I explained my intentions in no uncertain terms so he may have been under a little duress. :-)

Anyhow, the guys at Eagle will be more than happy to pull the front cover off the motor to check the timing and of course share what they find. If Bankston did miss the timing by a link on the back timing chain, as I suspect, I will pursue the issue in court to recoup the money I will have to pay Bankston to release the car. If not, back to the drawing board. I will be happy to share the results when they are available.

For the record, the 3.0L head gaskets were used. cool

B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Sixpipes:
warmonger

The email you previously sent regarding the dealer's scenario was spot on. Having said that, I will be towing the Contour from Bankston to John Eagle within the week. Long story, but the service manager at Bankston indicated that even if the motor in the Contour was good when it arrived at Bankston and his mechanics re-installed the timing gear incorrectly and damaged the motor, Bankston could not be held responsible because the 2.5L/3.0L is a hybrid motor. He also stated that if he had known about it, he would have never authorized his shop to help me out. He also, if you can believe this one, indicated that I had broken the law by switching to a larger (non stock) motor thereby altering the emmisions on the vehicle. I must say, he offered this last tidbit after I explained my intentions in no uncertain terms so he may have been under a little duress. :-)

Anyhow, the guys at Eagle will be more than happy to pull the front cover off the motor to check the timing and of course share what they find. If Bankston did miss the timing by a link on the back timing chain, as I suspect, I will pursue the issue in court to recoup the money I will have to pay Bankston to release the car. If not, back to the drawing board. I will be happy to share the results when they are available.

For the record, the 3.0L head gaskets were used. cool

Hummmmmm, service manager not knowing what's going on in his own shop? Sounds like easy prey for recouping funds to me. Motor swaps are not illegal as long as the emissions from both engines are similar in operation and are left in operating condition. The car must also pass the more demanding of the two vehicles emissions testing the last I read... get a lawyer... get the TSB on the timing chains printed out... get copies of your bills from both shops when completed... That little video would help too as would some video of the properly running (hopefully) car after the next shop takes a stab at it. If they still try to blame it on a "stock vs. hybrid motor, use us good running 3 liters as a reference of people that know what they're doing and know that had they read the Ford TSB's on your Contour that they would be in this mess.

Willing to testify...

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
W
W
I figured as much though that really sucks.

If I were you, I'd have someone just time the motor and try to run it. If you bent any valves, you'll know as it will run bad or kinda funny, but probably make no more noise. Most likely it will be fine since the metal that the valves are made of is much tougher and harder than the aluminum pistons, and they are likely to break before bending. They are probably made of Bainite or something equivalent. This is opposed to older motors where the valves were made of slightly more ductile steel and were capable of bending easier. If it had hit hard enough to break a valve you'd know it. This also implies that the timing isn't off by too much, so the 'little kiss marks' in the pistons won't do much.

My theory, time it and run it if it sounds fine. Then you aren't out the money. If it breaks later, then you are out the same money you originally would have spent.

Good luck.

warmonger

You can call me anything you like as long as it's nice.(all lies accepted)
99 Silver Frost SVT. #226 of 2760
Engine: 3.0 power!
Unique Stuff: Sunroof control module (#1 of 9)
Car Audio: Loaded and loud!
Check them out at
http://home.earthlink.net/~twilson1726
S
OP Offline
S
Today's update:

I was told by John Eagle that I was sold a bad engine or the engine was damaged when it was built (is that even possible?). The timing apparently checked out OK and the engine compression was fine.

I don't have the time or inclination to go through this whole process again. Is there anyone in the Dallas area that does this kind of work? John Eagle agrees with Bankston. They will not put a 3.0L motor in the car. It must be a 2.5L motor. They quoted $5,300. :-)

The floor is now opened for suggestions up to and including pushing the thing off a cliff.

W
W
I stick with what I said earlier. They can't know the timing is right without a degree wheel. They probably just don't want to get involved with a problem car. Most shops are afraid of the fallout attached to it.
Man, If you bring it to Tucson, I'll fix it for you. Just grab a rental truck, or your own since you're a texan smile and a tow dolly and bring the damn thing out here. I will fix it on my weekends over the period of about a month.

I've already done one swap, and I can do another. The good part is, I have some 3L heads here already that are brand new, and I have a perfectly good SVT block. One way or another, you'll have some choices.
If you are interested, email me with all the details of the car like the year, heads used, cams used, year of 3L block used, etc.
While I'm at it, we might try some good performance tricks.

warmonger

Check them out at
W
W
I have to warn you, if I do the job, it may take me more than a month. I just found out that my reserve unit is changing its status. We will be doing even more weekend exercises. If you don't care about speed, then email me. If you do, then good luck finding someone close.

warmonger

Check them out at
T
T
Well I'm not a huge car expert, but from that sound I would guess that it is either bad timing in some form, or poor lubrication.

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
S
OP Offline
S
warmonger

I may take you up on your offer. John Eagle says there is a lower end problem. I don't know how that is possible, but that's 2 out of 2. 951 miles from Dallas to Tucson. Wish there was someone closer. I'll email you after I talk to the mechanic tomorrow. Evidently there is not a Ford dealership that will authorize a 2.5L/3.0L engine swap. $5,300 for a new 2.5L motor. :-(

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bnoon_dup1, PA 3L SVT_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard