K
Quote:
Originally posted by Antonio Wright:
Quote:
Originally posted by Krafty:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by StreetConcepts:
[b] Anyone can go to a dealer and write a check for a fast car but it's the enthusiast that takes a car he/she loves and takes it to the next level.
Well said and I couldn't agree more.[/b]
Well the big question is. How far are you willing to take it to the next lesson and is it WORTH it.[/b]
It's never "worth" it to put money into a car, no matter what make or model it may be. It's not an investment in any way, shape, or form. Mind you, your car could potentially win some money and the like doing the show circuit, but it's not exactly a profitable business scheme considering the amount of competition and the unlikelhood of being a consistent winner.

The only qualifying factor that makes a car "worth" it is if it makes you happy to spend the time and money on your hobby. Because really, that is all modding a car is, a hobby...one that a few of us may take a little too seriously wink

Personally, I've spent a decent amount of money on this car and am in the process of spending more. I know for a fact it is not a smart financial move from the objective viewpoint, but my view isn't objective. I love modding cars, and right now, especially my SVT. It is a ***** of a car that has more problems than you can shake a stick at, but I love it for that very reason. You have to work hard to make this car work and progress, but when it's working there isn't a car in it's relative price range that I would exchange it for.

When it all comes down to it, I wouldn't care if this care blue-booked for one penny...I'd still put money into it because I like this car and I like modding it. Stupid and irrational in a sense, but I only spend what I can afford...so it's a controlled irrationality :p

Ryan

Latest Mod: Mirko Splitter
B
OP Offline
B
I realized there are people who want to have nice cars and will spend the money to make it one by modifying a CHEAPER car and making it behave like a very expensive one. and the other person who just goes out there and buys a vette because he first off has the money up front to buy one and rather not spend the time nor effort to build one similar.

See I can't complain I pay a measly 250.00 a month for my SVT and 75.00 dollars insurance with speeding tickets.

I save monthly with lower notes and insurance and have a huge variety off used parts for my car since we share parts from three different cars.

A cobra or vette is very expensive to mantain once warranty goes. I can get engines for less than 1000.00 bucks not them.

I also do all my work on my car not worrying if I will mess up a 50,000 dollar car.

I will agree there are some people who go beyond there budget and get frustrated but if you keep the car for a while and pay it off you will have alot more money to buy aftermarket parts.

I enjoy mostly having a car looks good all the time and will be fast as hell while paying insurance on a family car and should be paying the same amount as a sports car.

I think there will be people who think of dollars before enjoyment.

99 SVT #198
Blk/blue
Grizzly clutch
Phantom Grips
K&N open
Resonator removed
BAT 22mm
15.4 @89mph
S
S
I think it's entirely up to the individual to decide if it's worth it to turbo the 'Tour or not. I love high technology engines, and I see turbocharging as being far ahead of supercharging.

If I had the money, I'd probably trade my 'Tour in for a 03 Cobra, but that's just me. If I had enough $$ to get a 03 Cobra, fix the paint on my 'Tour and turbo it, I'd keep it just for laughs. Like I said before, it would make a hell of a sleeper (at the track), and besides, I wouldn't mind getting into autocrossing at all. As it stands, I have neither the time nor the $$ for any of the above, so this is all just a pipe dream for me...

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by BurritaSVT:

A cobra or vette is very expensive to mantain once warranty goes. I can get engines for less than 1000.00 bucks not them.

I also do all my work on my car not worrying if I will mess up a 50,000 dollar car.

First, a Cobra or Vette is not going to be any more expensive to maintain that your turbo'd Tour/Cougar. Quite the opposite, as you now have to watch the go pedal in order to avoid grenading your entire driveline. The aftermarket for the Mustang (read: Cobra) is likely the largest in existance, which means parts are plentiful and cheap compared to the sometimes custom parts that have to be made for our cars so that they can handle the elevated power levels. Likely same for the Corvette.

I'll also wager that the majority of Mustang/Cobra owners work on their own cars, can't say the same for the Vette boys.

Last, a Mustang or Vette is much easier to work on, especially if you have big hands. There just isn't as much room under the hood of a 'Tour/Cougar, which makes everything that much more of a PITA.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCo:
The point is it has been done before.
AMEN!!
Thanks loco for pointing that out. smile

Nick
2000 Malibu LS
Mods: K&N, Jet-PCM
Lowered with Eibach's and on 18's,Clear Sidemarkers,Tinted all around, badgeless
Retired Vehicles: 98 Contour
D
D
Craig. You nailed it on the head.

This topic is NON-enthusiasts arguing with true Enthusiasts saying that modifications are not worth it because you never get back what you put in the cars. (Well duh! That's not why we do it! Driving it is the payback!)

To put it bluntly and honestly. THEY JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND. It's been my signature quote forever. Some people just do not understand the enthusiast's mind and NEVER will. It is their loss, not ours... No use arguing with a brick wall... They'll never get it...

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Craig. You nailed it on the head.

This topic is NON-enthusiasts arguing with true Enthusiasts saying that modifications are not worth it because you never get back what you put in the cars. (Well duh! That's not why we do it! Driving it is the payback!)

To put it bluntly and honestly. THEY JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND. It's been my signature quote forever. Some people just do not understand the enthusiast's mind and NEVER will. It is their loss, not ours... No use arguing with a brick wall... They'll never get it...
...and you are the know it all authority on who is or is not an enthusiast? Please... :rolleyes:

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Quote:
[b]Craig. You nailed it on the head.

...and you are the know it all authority on who is or is not an enthusiast? Please... :rolleyes: [/b]
apperently more than you are, i dont always agree with demon.. but if anyone on this site could be called an enthusiast its demon

95 SE Champagne Mettalic
True Dual exhaust with X pipe and Redline mufflers
KKM Tru Rev intake
H&R Springs/KYB struts
Apex-i S-AFC
65mm Throttle Body
17" Ace Spades
4 Pt Racing Harness
Window Tint all around
New Engine @ 117k kilometers
G-Tech: 15.6 @ 91.5 MPH

"you officially kick ass"
quote from awed CEG'er after i chopped my hood and threw on scoops

RIP 98 SVT silverfrost *nov 4 2001*
S
S
Never said he wasn't, but who died and appointed him God?

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by S\V/T 'Kris':
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman333:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Craig. You nailed it on the head.

...and you are the know it all authority on who is or is not an enthusiast? Please... :rolleyes: [/b]
apperently more than you are, i dont always agree with demon.. but if anyone on this site could be called an enthusiast its demon[/b]
What proof of this do you have? Please share! confused

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard