Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Ok, just got my OBD-II scanner this weekend from Alex (http://www.obd-2.com). Works great, and love the tool.

I just have a question as to what exactly I'm getting readings for. In looking at the DATA section, I see the following codes:

$00 - PID SUP($01-$20) - ?
$01 - OBD STAT - ?
$03 - SYS STAT - ?
$04 - LOAD - ?
$05 - ECT - Engine Coolant Temp
$06 - SHRT FT 1 - ?
$07 - LONG FT 1 - ?
$08 - SHRT FT 2 - ?
$09 - LONG FT 2 - ?
$0C - RPM - Engine RPMs
$0D - MPH - Speed
$0E - IAT - Intake Air Temp
$10 - MAF - ?
$11 - TPS - ?
$13 - 02SLOC - ?
$14 - 02S SHRT FT 11 - ?
$15 - 02S SHRT FT 12 - ?
$18 - 02S SHRT FT 21 - ?
$19 - 02S SHRT FT 12 - ?
$1C - OBD - ?

Can anyone help with the ?'s?

Also, on the Status page, it claims that I have a "MISFIRE", and no catalyst? Huh?

MISFIRE: YES
Catalyst: NO

Am I understanding the tool correctly?

Also, any further tips on how to use the software would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ryan W.
1998 T-Red SVT E0 #634 (KKM, A6 Side Markers, +more)
CEG Registry - Austin/Cedar Park, Texas
ryanwood94 on AOL Instant Messenger
G
G
You have to have the software interrogate the PCM for the values listed in the DATA section. Did you click the SEND button on the DATA screen first?

The STATUS page shows whether various tests have been completed. YES simply means yes, the test is complete. The Catalyst test takes longest to complete, so I'd guess you reset your PCM within the past couple of weeks.

Also, some things work differently depending on whether the engine is running. Just keep playing with the tool... It's fun! laugh

Now, a question of my own... It seems our PCM's don't support advanced O2 sensor functions. Basically, I can't get any data from the "O2" screen. Can anyone corroborate this?

//> //> //> //> //>
Garrick
Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
She's stock. Why mess with a good thing? laugh
B
B
Ryan Wood SVT wrote:
Ok, just got my OBD-II scanner this weekend from Alex (http://www.obd-2.com). Works great, and love the tool.

I just have a question as to what exactly I'm getting readings for. In looking at the DATA section, I see the following codes:
  Click on each one, and look near the bottom of the window for a more detailed explanation.

{I do hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address.  Remove the string ?HatesSpam? from the email address ?BobHatesSpam@blaylock.to? to email me.  No advertisements.  Spammers will be dealt with very harshly!}
-------
Moonlight Blue 1996 Mercury Mystique GS , Zetec engine, ATX.  No mods. (Well, OK, one mod.  Before I got rid of my previous car, a 1994 Tempo, I swapped radios.  I liked the Tempo's radio better.  That counts as a mod, doesn't it?  I also kept one of my Tempo's wheels to use as a spare.  I hate those stupid ?compact? spares that come with modern cars.  Does this count as a mod?  If so, I guess I have two mods.  Replaced burned/melted blower switch and connector on 19 February 2002 with a 1P3T toggle switch from Marvac and a Molex connector from Rat Shack; I guess this now makes three mods.)
B
B
garrick wrote:
Now, a question of my own... It seems our PCM's don't support advanced O2 sensor functions. Basically, I can't get any data from the "O2" screen. Can anyone corroborate this?
  That matches my experience.

{I do hate spam, but that isn't really part of my email address.  Remove the string ?HatesSpam? from the email address ?BobHatesSpam@blaylock.to? to email me.  No advertisements.  Spammers will be dealt with very harshly!}
-------
Moonlight Blue 1996 Mercury Mystique GS , Zetec engine, ATX.  No mods. (Well, OK, one mod.  Before I got rid of my previous car, a 1994 Tempo, I swapped radios.  I liked the Tempo's radio better.  That counts as a mod, doesn't it?  I also kept one of my Tempo's wheels to use as a spare.  I hate those stupid ?compact? spares that come with modern cars.  Does this count as a mod?  If so, I guess I have two mods.  Replaced burned/melted blower switch and connector on 19 February 2002 with a 1P3T toggle switch from Marvac and a Molex connector from Rat Shack; I guess this now makes three mods.)
P
P
I too get a no support message when I try to analyze the O2 separately. It appears that in my case, I can only get the Current PCM data and some of the non-continously monitored tests, this means no enhance analysis either???. This might be true for all contours except 99 and up. Not sure, I requested some explanation from Alex last night to be sure. Based on what he replies, I will post.

1996 Contour LX V6-2.5L 60K Miles
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by garrick:

Did you download the Ford data file for the software from the web site? If not, you need to do this to get the O2 readings and a bunch of other stuff. If you already have, then you need to get the Ford data reading going, which are started separately from the SEND command on DATA screen. I forgot which menu item it was, and I don't have the software in front of me to check as I'm at work right now. But I think it was the 2nd or 3rd menu item from the right, titled "Advanced" or something like that. Go there, it will open a new window, and you can click send to get the data. Then it will return the values from the 02 Sensors in real time, which you can also plot on the graph. Works well - its just not the easiest software in the world to use. Definitely written by an engineer. wink

'96 Contour SE, black / opal grey, MTX, every option, KKM intake, resonator removed, Flowmaster Series 40 DeltaFlow, GoodYear Eagle HP's, 115k miles, new paint 7/01. Driven cross-country 4 times.

'70 Corvette Stingray Coupe, Cortez Silver, 454 bored to 462, Muncie M21, too many mods to list, lots of fun. 335 rwhp / 365 rwtq

'02 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue / Black, every option. Stock for now...
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by garrick:

Also, some things work differently depending on whether the engine is running. Just keep playing with the tool...

Mine won't connect (or disconnects) if the engine is not running. Are you able to get data with the key in the ON position but with the engine not running?

Paul Dippel
93 SHO MTX
99 SVT Contour
68 Mustang Convertible
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/alfa/971/
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete2001:
I too get a no support message when I try to analyze the O2 separately. It appears that in my case, I can only get the Current PCM data and some of the non-continously monitored tests, this means no enhance analysis either???. This might be true for all contours except 99 and up. Not sure, I requested some explanation from Alex last night to be sure. Based on what he replies, I will post.

That matches my experience both on my '97 Contour and a friend's '01 F-150. I'm eager to see what Mr. Pepper has to say.
T.

'97 Contour SE 2.5 MTX

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard