Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46052 10/17/01 11:14 PM
D
D Davis Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I know, I know. This has been mentioned before, but I have a new twist (I think).

I'm assuming most of you probably know what I mean by "foggy headlamps"...the lenses aren't clear anymore. They appear to have a film on them that, so far, I have found no way to remove.

Well, Sunday I washed the 'tour and noticed that when I kept the lenses wet, they were clear as a bell! I don't understand the chemistry behind what causes this, but thought it may help lead to a solution.

Just to settle any confusion that may arise:

1) The foggy areas aren't smooth to the touch. The closest thing I can equate it to is oxidized paint.

2) I have tried a few different solutions to no avail: elbow-grease, rubbing compound and (believe it or not) toothpaste.

3) This has only been noticeable for six months or so.

If the "clear when wet" symptom gives anyone any ideas as to what it may be and how to remove it, I would be extremely grateful. Someone mentioned to me wet-sanding might work, but I'm not sure how to do that or if special tools are required, etc.

Thanks in advance.

125.2 FWHP - 126.5 FWTQ
SVT exhaust (#4 of 9) - B&M FPR - Custom CAI - bnoon optimized TB #1 & 2 (beat that!!)
Black '98.5 SE Zetec MTX
Best quote seen in a chat - "Jinx 12345678910 you owe me a naked picture of yourself!"
Z
Z
I noticed that too!

I have the same problem, and am debating just picking up some new headlights.

- Zack

1995 Contour LX
2.5L V6 MTX
150,000 miles and still going strong
PIAA 510's (Finally I can see again!)

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it." George W. Bush
B
B
I'm Also lost with this and need help.. I have Xenon's and at night time, one is yellow and one is blue... mad

1996 Ford Contour GL
K&N FilterCharger
Changed most interior lights to blue
Installed Xenons in high/low beams
GTS Blackout Headlight Covers
FLOWMASTER Series 3
NGK Sparkplugs
WindowShield Washer Lights
No Rez
Custom Intake
Clifford Sabre 2 Alarm System
Removed Ding Guards
B
B
what about a heat gun, not sure but it is a thought

00' SVT #915
Silver Frost
Done some stuff
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
D
D Davis Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Quote:
Originally posted by bigd:
what about a heat gun, not sure but it is a thought

Afraid ya lost me there...explain, please

125.2 FWHP - 126.5 FWTQ
SVT exhaust (#4 of 9) - B&M FPR - Custom CAI - bnoon optimized TB #1 & 2 (beat that!!)
Black '98.5 SE Zetec MTX
Best quote seen in a chat - "Jinx 12345678910 you owe me a naked picture of yourself!"
J
J
I used Meguiar's #17 and #10, and it made a *huge* difference - my lamps are much clearer and brighter now (maybe not perfect, but much better. Perhaps more elbow grease would help things, but I got them "good enough" and stopped).

joel
'96 Contour SE ATX
Metallic champagne
Replaced headend radio
Added 6-cd changer
Standard high-beam bulbs used in the low-beam lights
ATX rebuilt at 102K
Otherwise stock.
B
B
sorry i was thinking of scratched lenses.
for the yellowish coating what about goof off, that stuff seams to take most anything off with out harming plastic

00' SVT #915
Silver Frost
Done some stuff
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
R
R
Check out my post here... Nebaukanezzer Headlight Fogging Fix How-TO...Maybe? *Wink wink Lance*

The yellowish fogginess you see is actually small hairline cracks all over the outer layer of plastic on the lamp...most likely caused by heat from the bulbs and constant heating and cooling of the lens.

Originally posted by 99SESPORT:
First off, if somebody is grabbing your nuts, your gonna do everything you can to get him off...
And sitting there telling him politely

"Please let go of my nuts, sir?"
D
D Davis Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the input, everyone. If I still have the car next week, I'll try the wet-sanding approach wink

125.2 FWHP - 126.5 FWTQ
Black '98.5 SE Zetec MTX
Hope you haven't got around to wet-sand yet:- It'll ruin the Lexan for sure! I use compound from 3M "Plastic polish" and a 4 inch loose cotton buff in the ol' hand drill. Run no higher than 1200 - 1500 rpm to avoid meltdown (and throwing the polish all over the car, yourself and anything else within 10 feet!). Used it on my ol Bronco II (1989) and cleaned up its big flat headlamp lenses too.
Ed

'95 Mystique LS -leather, power, Duratech, Auto frown -the wife has to drive it too!) -'89 Baby Bronc 4x4 V6, -'84 Honda Shadow

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard