Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
ancosta Offline OP
OP Offline
A
OK so my dash is rising up at the cowl area, and the defroster vent is disloged. I want a new dash, not some half-arsed glue and rivet fix.

Can those who have gone to get the recall work done relay their experiences, negative or postitive? Is there a threshold where they will replace vs. repair? Is there any way to encourage the dash to meet such criteria? How about supply of (tan) dashboards to replace my fault item?

Thanks in advance...!

Andrew
99 SVT
D
D
Andrew,

the decision to repair, or replace seems to vary with the dealer you take it to.

My personal experience was that mine was replaced right off the bat. From the experiences of others (several thread exist on this subject), it's been about 50/50 which was done.

I would personally fight for the replacement. Judging by other's experience, it's well worth the fight.

Good luck,
David

2000 SVT #669
Wimpy Stock stuff
K
K
to replace or not.it has to be lifting more than 3 inches.just tear it up

E
E
Thanks Kenny! I really don't have problem with my dash... I have about a 1/10 inch rise way over at the pass side at the defrost vent but the hassle of taking my aftermarket CD out (I messed with the wires taking out the stock amp) and I have the steering wheel moved 2" closer to the dash. I don't know if that would create a hassle to take out the dash? But I am NOT interested in moving it back (can do) and then restoring the 2"!! It ia a really big PITA with laying upside down over the door sill. What is with this "glue and rivet"? I haven't gone in yet and wonder if it is worth geting the slight raised part glued down?

One beat'99 Tropic Green SVT
T
T
My 99 SE is at the dealer right now for the dash board recall and a list of other failures. The service write up person told me that my dash fit the criteria for replacement.The dealer has to take a couple of measurements at certian places to determine if it lifted enough to replace. In the beginning, Ford let the dealers replace every one affected. I guess the problem is bigger than Ford expected, that caused the new rule changes and measurements to be taken. My replacement dash is on back order. No date when the replacement will be available. I let my dash warp until I had enough other problems to warrant a trip to the dealer.

99 SE Sport..ATX
SVT exhaust
SVT zip tube and air cleaner assembly
Tinted windows
17" Cougar Zn Wheels
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by tucker:
[QB...The dealer has to take a couple of measurements at certian places to determine if it lifted enough to replace.[/QB]

Does anybody have any idea where these measurements occur?

My dash is coming unglued at the edge of the defroster vent, passenger side. It is probably only 1/2" off the surface, but stretches quite a ways along the vent. The dash also rattles in the middle, which can be stopped if I press down on it.

| Aaron | 1999 SVT E1 | silver | 147 of 2760
| If you want to throw away your license in about a week, this is the car for the job | car and driver
G
G
I'd be interested too, if anyone knows. My defroster vent has popped up on the passenger side and won't click back down. The dash is lifted about 1/2" at the center, tapering off to the right (the left side seems okay). I haven't called the dealer yet because I can't spare the car right now. BTW, does anyone know if they have to remove the windshield to do the repair? Just wondering...

2000 Contour SE Sport T-Red MTX, Mystique rear dome light, Blau Florida cd.
A
A
I agree having it jury rigged is not good, but having it replaced is no picnic either.

I am on my 3rd dash, the first two warped back after about 10 months. This means that Ford has kept buying crappy dashes from the supplier. Once vehicle is out of warranty you are on your own.

I have to July 2002 till my warranty runs out. Am hoping that my latest dash finally fixed the root cause, or that I can at least warp the one I have now and get a fourth dash.

If my dash (#3 or 4) fails within 2 years of warranty expire, I am going to raise holy heck. Replacing crappy parts with more crap is hardly a recipe for quality

Well, my experiance with this is that I brought it in to get the brake recall and dashboard recall. My warpage is across the whole dash along the windshield, but it is only 'curled up' about 1/4 inch. I am getting a new dash because they said that they tried the fix kit, but it would not fix the warpage at the two ends of the dash... As to this 3 inch thing that everyone is talking about, is it 3 inches side to side, or 3 inches 'up' the windshield??? im only just curious, cause my dash is on order! hope my $.02 helps!
-Nick

"My family hauler can kick your family hauler's @SS!"
~~~~1999 Contour SE Sport~~~~
-KKM True Rev
-Custom cat back Flowmaster exhaust
-All Cat's fixed.
-SHO Shop Off-Road Y-pipe
-Many other Mod's done...
A
ancosta Offline OP
OP Offline
A
??? This is a *recall* item, so the warranty period should not be an issue, no? How long does a recall-based repair item remain under warranty; that is, for how long do they grandfather the recall from the time of the fix, as to ensure it doesn't re-occur once it is fixed?

Quote:
Originally posted by agtabby:

I have to July 2002 till my warranty runs out. Am hoping that my latest dash finally fixed the root cause, or that I can at least warp the one I have now and get a fourth dash.

Andrew
99 SVT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard