Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#45018 08/15/01 04:46 AM
N
N
Quote:
Originally posted by steener:
All have had their idiosyncrasies, but I've never had a gearbox behave the way my SVT's did.
The simple fact the problem was solved should indicate the difficulty belonged to the car, not the driver.

I agree 100 percent with Steener. I've had 5 other domestic, euro, and japanese imports with MTX's and the SVT's is the only one I ever had to baby this way. There are times when I've parked the SVT in reverse and start up, and I can feel the clutch shuddering and trying to move the car while I've got the clutch pedal to the floor. That isn't right, and I want to pursue a new clutch while I'm under warranty.

Steener, would you mind posting the name and # of the service mgr. for your dealer that replaced your clutch? My SVT was built in 2/99 and appears to be one of those with the reluctant clutch. TIA, Ned M.

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

99 SVT Contour
93 RX-7 R1
#45019 08/15/01 05:19 AM
N
N
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned M:
Steener, would you mind posting the name and # of the service mgr. for your dealer that replaced your clutch? My SVT was built in 2/99 and appears to be one of those with the reluctant clutch. TIA, Ned M.

Never mind, I found it in your previous post; thanks!

Tranny Situation

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

99 SVT Contour
93 RX-7 R1
#45020 08/15/01 05:38 AM
J
J
change the tranny oil. Use AMS OIL synthetic ATF with the for friction modifier and all your problems will go away. I had the "sticky shifter" syndrome and I put in AMS OIL synthetic ATF with ford friction modifier and all the problems dissapeared.

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412
#45021 08/15/01 12:53 PM
G
G
Quote:
Not to start a big feud here...

The simple fact the problem was solved should indicate the difficulty belonged to the car, not the driver.

Fair enough... I've only actually owned two MTX's, driven probably ten different ones, haven't ever torn down an MTX-75. The testimonials above suggests the root of the problem is the clutch??? Hmmm... I have trouble seeing how an incompletely disengaged clutch would prevent one from pushing the lever into gear without some backlash in the lever. Somebody convince me!

I'd be curious to know (but will leave for someone else to do smile ) where else Ford has used the MTX-75 and whether those vehicles have exhibited similar symptoms.

//> //> //> //> //>
Garrick
Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
She's stock. Why mess with a good thing? laugh
#45022 08/15/01 01:33 PM
S
S
Good points, Garrick. I believe the Mondeo uses the MTX-75, and in looking through the forums on their site, I don't see anything like the Contour tranny problems. If I recall, Terry Haines has suggested the difference is that Mondeo trannies are manufactured in Germany; ours are made in the good ole USA, where, apparently, tolerances are a little more liberal.

As for why there's not a "backlash" on the shifter when trying to push it into first or reverse: beats the heck outta me.

Also, I don't think the clutch is the culprit in every situation, but for the "first-reverse lockout" thing, it is something I think should be considered, especially if, like Ned M and I (in this thread), and some others have experienced, you occasionally get that "shudder" when you start the car in gear.

The general notchy feeling seems to be par for the course with these transmissions, and certainly the "cocktail" has helped smooth that out for me.

FWIW.

Craig
99SVT black/tan
2725 of 2760
#45023 08/15/01 01:42 PM
M
M
Yep, here in Manual land, sticky first and reverse are always reckoned to be clutch drag.

The Mondeo does it a bit, you just need to adjust the clutch cable properly, Ahh, you have a hydrualic clutch, I have a cable, could that be a difference.

Mind you if you think the Mondeo is notchy you should try a Rover

Mad Mole
Visit Mad Moles Mondeo Madness
2L Zetec, Cams, Stage 2 head, Valve work, Powerflow, Unichip, AEM Ram, K&N, Ecotek, 75mm Lower etc.
192 BHP, Faster than a speeding Duratec!
#45024 08/15/01 05:56 PM
G
G
Quote:
Also, I don't think the clutch is the culprit in every situation, but for the "first-reverse lockout" thing, it is something I think should be considered, especially if, like Ned M and I (in this thread), and some others have experienced, you occasionally get that "shudder" when you start the car in gear.

Hmmm... I've had the occasional "shudder" at warm startup, and I was concerned it was the engine, say some strange vapor lock-type phenomenon. I never noticed a correlation b/t the shudder and whether the shift lever was in gear... I'll pay attention to that from here on out!

Garrick

//> //> //> //> //>
Garrick
Silver E0, #3895 of 6535, built 10/2/97
She's stock. Why mess with a good thing? laugh
#45025 08/15/01 06:04 PM
C
C
if there is a TSB for it and my car is under warranty they should do the "cocktail" for free right?

Proud former owner of.....
'99 svt - silver/blue - #2555 of 2760

Proud new owner of...
'02 BMW 330i
#45026 08/16/01 06:37 PM
D
D
All,

I know for a fact that a TSB has been issues on the MTX-75 from Ford. The TSB instructs to use the same fluid "cocktail" mentioned on this thread. As a matter of fact, the TSB specificaly recommends using Mobil-1 synthetic ATF.

So far with 11.7k miles on mine, shifting has never been a problem. However, I do get a real heavy clutch pedal after driving 10-15 miles at highways speeds without shifting (but not always). This problems is quite elusive to duplicate.

Later,
David

2000 SVT #669
Wimpy Stock stuff
#45027 08/16/01 07:07 PM
D
D
"if I recall, Terry Haines has suggested the difference is that Mondeo trannies are manufactured in Germany; ours are made in the good ole USA, where, apparently, tolerances are a little more liberal"

Actually what I'm pretty sure he said was that ALL MTX75s are made in Germany (which I know to be a fact - we have no US factory) but they are rebuilt in the US. Germany makes the best gearboxes in the world. Problems with replacements (which are typically rebuilt) are very frequent. The clutch is a German Sacs (one of the best brands in the world). The MTX75 in many US cars goes >150K with no problems. Euro Mondeos = no problems. US Focus MTX75 = no problems. More problems late 99, and 00 in the US with the trannies. Now, the Mondeo uses the same tranny/clutch but the transaxle/engine is ASSEMBLED & INSTALLED in Belgium I believe. Focus is built at another factory & being the new star, QC is higher than US Contour. It is possible that the problem relates to some improper assembly/installation in the US, especially later as QC seems to have dropped. Perhaps assembly & installation has some critical steps. This is my hypothesis. Then, recurrent tranny failures are secondary to the US rebuilt ones (Terry has a great pic of one of these).

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard