Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Yesterday, I drove for about 4 hours with the AC on full blast (it was low on freon and not blowing out very cold air). When I hit traffic, and was just crawling along, the car would die. Usually, I could start it right back up again but twice, I was left stranded in the middle of a very busy interstate (I295 in NJ)for 10 to 15 minutes. The temp gauge never rose above normal. Very scary.

Anyone have any idea on what might be wrong? The local Ford mechanic is stumped and my warranty expires in less than 1000 miles.

E
E
i've had a similar problemsd after installing my kkm ,and once a hose going from my air intake 2 head came loose

97 gsxr lotsa good stuff 4 sale
95 talon tsi awd turbo loaded sold
95 se 2.5 mtx loaded (fragile handle with care)2 motors 3 trannies
custom y with hi flo cat,custom dynomax exhaust,upper cat mod
superchip,udp,bat\kkm,proflow maf,ford 9mm wires,svt throttle body,svt intake manifold ,custom kevlar clutch,16 pd. flywheel,svt motor mounts ,svt gauges,eibachs\h&r,omp strut brace,dark chrome 16" rials with 225/50 dunlops,cwazy amounts of audio
A
A
I know this seems to be my standard answer, but it sounds like the problem is related to the air intake system. If the IAC is not working properly, at any temperature, the car may stall. More than likely, though it is either the Intake Air Temperature sensor or something else in the throttle body.

Hope it helps.

97 Moonlight Blue Tour GL 2.0L
Kenwood Audio
Everything else is stock.
JUST TURNED 100K Miles
Has it ever cut out for a second while driving along? confused

J
J
1. was it hot as HE-- out that day?
(it is possible for it to be so hot outside that the A/C works poorly)
2. I notice a similar problem, but I do not stall my revs drop to about 500RPM then come back up after a second(I may be because I have stock intake)
3.you may have a dirty EGR
4. like stated above your IAT sensor may be wacky
5. That thingy (3/4'' diameter, 1.5" long silver colored doo dad) bolted to the intake manifold near the throttle body. This thing is an electricly powered valve controlled by the computer. It is what the computer uses to control RPM like a idle, warm up, etc.
It may also be wacky.

hope this helps somehow
smile smile

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412
OP Offline
It was about 90 degrees when my Contour started stallng. It only stalled in stop and go traffic. At constant speeds of 20MPH and up, I had no problem.

Maybe you had a bad tank of gas like I did? But it'll not be the case if your car doesn't die smoothly. When I had the problem, the car would just die all the sudden like I turn the key off. Try some fuel treatment from NAPA (use the max number of bottles they said).

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet
J
J
I had the same problem with my ford taurus... turns out i needed a new timing belt. hope this info helps.

99 Ford Contour SE
2 12" kenwood subs,1000W kenwood amp, Pioneer Head dehp7300, RF 5" Components (f), pioneer 6x8, Dynamat, K&N filter, aftermarket foglamps, side markers
M
M
This was a symptom in my '96 SE, leading up to a fuel injector rail failure and replacement under the emissions warrenty. Eventually, you should see a CEL. Dog your dealer b/f the warrenty croaks. Good luck.

M. Man
RIP '96 SE -- this car's troubles don't belong to me
'01 Eternal Blue Pearl Accord EX Manual
R
R
96redSE5spd,
How many miles and is it a Zetec or Duratec?
There's a TSB out there for the VCT system on Zetecs being overadvanced or overretarded, causing idle problems, but I'm not sure if VCT was on the Zetecs in 1996.

It could be the Idle air valve, EGR stuck open, MAF, TP or IAT sensor. But those would all light the CEL if sooner or later.

Contiques up to '98 had the fuel rail close to the lower intake manifold with side-port injectors which had a habit of vaporizing fuel in the rail in hot conditions. If your fuel pump is starting to go away (higher mileage) it might not keep the fuel pressure up high enough to keep it from vaporizing at idle. This would be compounded by the A/C compressor running constantly on a low charge and drawing a lot of current. Or the fuel pressure regulator could be faulty, too. Make sure the FPR vacuum line is secure.

Rob Weiss
'99 Mystique, 2.5L, MTX,Black/Tan, 37K miles
SVT Air Intake & Throttle Hang Plug
Build Date: December 14, 1998
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard