Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
I'm sure that the TSB referred to does not apply to your car. If memory serves me correctly it was on 95 and possibly 96 models. The factory incorporated the improved parts into production long before your car was built. That is why your dealership said that they can't perform the TSB. TSB's are very specific about what year and model they apply to.

A common cause for this clatter on start up is the oil filter. Did the problem start immediately after you changed the oil filter? It is critical that you use a filter with a well designed anti drain back valve. The Ford Motorcraft FL-820S is such a filter. The S on the end of the part number is for the silicon anti drain back valve. It is the same filter inside as the Purolator PerOne.

If the filter has a lesser designed anti drain back valve, it can fail to hold the oil in the filter when the car is parked overnight and you will have clatter on startup until there is enough oil pressure for the timing chain hydraulic tensioners to operate.

Before you do anything else, change the oil filter and the oil. Use the specified 5W30 oil, not something thicker. Then see if your problem went away. It could be as simple as that.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
J
JonS Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Shortly after I first posted this request, I did have my oil changed, and I had it done at the Ford dealership while they were doing some other warranty work.

The clatter stopped. They of course used the Motorcraft filter, so it must be this design worked.

Thanks for the info! smile

2000 SE Sport
ATX
Navy Blue, Gray
F
F
Very informitive post! Details I like details!
The title got my attention, since I own a 89 Probe that my wife dearly loves. I'd replaced the HLA's it runs much better but when the car is started in the morning, clatter for an instant while in garage. (level) Car's been sitting out (porch project)driveway slopes down. No clatter? Maybe a few more ounces of oil is available in the horizontal mounted filter??? I use Motocraft & Purolator. getting the right one but that's a whole other story! Fl-814-Fl-821 Fl-799. PL 24458 works best when they have it, it's same size as the orginal FL-814.
NOW: Duratec ??
All I have is an Chilton's manual it doesn't show this "tensioner". Is it similiar in operation to the "HLA"'s? And while I'm at it, I've been waiting to ask this, Does the 2.5 use HLA's. Is there a maunual out there that shows detail on our engines?
I have access to a Mitchell's at the local library, when they can kept working on their mainframe. What about the dealers/Helms?
Thanks Paul
98 Mystique LS
"Why is there Air?"
Well back to finishing the screened-in porch for my sweetie! The sweetie that cooks those assume meals, keeps my fine middle-age! profile.
:rolleyes:

T
T
The chain tensioners are a 'standard' type piston design light spring with main tension by engine oil pressure from the main oil gallery.The tensioners mount to the block 'metal to metal' no gaskets but with engine off the spring/ratchet gear should hold the chain.

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
S
S
Ok I've been following this thread. Recently I've noticed the same noise happening on my cold start ups. This only started happening AFTER I had changed the oil and used the motorsport filter.
confused confused

I just recently purchased the car, and since there's 53k on it, I put 10-30W into it in on my first oil change (along with the motorcraft filter). There was a mention not to use oil thicker than 5-30W earlier in the thread. Could something this prosaic be causing the tensioners to malfunction on cold start up? And are there any solutions if the oil/filter change doesn't fix the issue? If not, is it serious enough that I should take it immediately to the dealer?

Thanks, Sam

I heed the call of the curb
S
S
Thanks... I changed the oil to 5-30 last night... and what do you know?

NO CLACK ON STARTUP!

Thanks a lot guys! CEG ROCKS!

I heed the call of the curb
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
[QB]This only started happening AFTER I had changed the oil and used the motorsport filter.
/QB]

Dont forget when you do your oil change to fill your oil filter(3/4) with motor oil
before you install it. Because the first
start after an oil change is the worst one
when there is no oil at all everywhere.
Scary isn'it
eek
Ron

95SE,Duratec, Teal,
MTX, Tinted,
50w Halogen Back Up light,
30Watts/8Watts Halogen Stop/Turn Bulbs
Ford's Synt.Gold Tranny Fluid, 4X Toyo FZ4, Mystique Wheels.
KKM Induction, Synthetic Power Steering Fluid,
SVT exhaust.Painted Calliper
Leather Shifter/Hand-Brake Boot
Bigger oil Filter Ford's FL882
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
10W-30 is bad bad bad.Viscosity is the #1 factor in oil.

Yes, this is very true. If the manual says use 5W30, you MUST use 5W30 and nothing heavier. The lighter 5 weight cold allows much better flow during startup. Once its warmed up, its the same 30 weight as 10w30.

I know with the GM 2.8L & 3.4L pushrod V-6's they MUST use 5W30 also, or severe lifter damage can occur with heavier oils.

Do what the manual says, not what others tell you. And the manual says 5w30, and nothing else.

'96 Contour SE, black / opal grey, MTX, every option, KKM intake, resonator removed, Flowmaster Series 40 DeltaFlow, GoodYear Eagle HP's, 115k miles, new paint 7/01. Driven cross-country 4 times.

'70 Corvette Stingray Coupe, Cortez Silver, 454 bored to 462, Muncie M21, too many mods to list, lots of fun. 335 rwhp / 365 rwtq

'02 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue / Black, every option. Stock for now...
T
T
Don't get to comfy with the noise going away.My 99 started this sympton at 4k miles.I use 5W-30 oil and FL-820S filters.The problem is not as noticeable in warm summer months.I have 14k miles on the car now and it still does it every now and then.I talked to a Duratec engineer at Ford.He has heard the engine noise in my car.He is puzzled by it.The dealer has done nothing.It never acts up there.I have the 6 year 100k mile insurance policy on the car.I will get it fixed sooner or later....

99 SE Sport..ATX
SVT exhaust
SVT zip tube and air cleaner assembly
Tinted windows
17" Cougar Zn Wheels
C
C
OK I'll scare you. I've had the same problem for about 6 months now. And this Morning my car went to hell. The clacking just got louder & louder and then she died... She is at the dealership right now and they should let me know Tuesday or Wednesday... but I already know. When they say knew engine. Is it really a knew engine!!??? Or just knew parts on my engine?? confused

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard