Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#44541 06/26/01 05:38 PM
J
JonS Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I know I read something about this somewhere previously, and I thought what I read indicated that Ford had put out a TSB that explained how to fix it, but...

Almost since I've owned my car (4 months now) and with only a couple thousand miles on it, when I start the engine (2.5L) after it has sat overnight, there is a brief sound of the lifters clacking. It's like there isn't any oil on them until just after starting.

It only lasts just a quick second, and then no more clack. Will this damage the lifters over time? Just wondering. I've only got 11,000 miles on it now, and it does it nearly every time when it has sat overnight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2000 SE Sport
ATX
Navy Blue, Gray
B
B
What your hearing is not lifters. The Duratec 6 has a timing chain pretensioner that uses oil pressure to take up the slack on the timing chain. In those few brief seconds until the oil pressure comes up the timing chain rattles on the cover. Most Duratec's do it. Don't worry too much about it. I have almost 100,000km on my car and it hasn't broken yet. If you want to try, you can ask the dealership to perform the TSB work, but they will have to keep your car overnight to witness the issue directly.

2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V
Vibrant Blue - fully loaded
M
M
I don't mean to frighten you, JonS, but I would worry about it....

Let me explain. My previous Contour was a 95 V6 MTX that started to clack a little after sitting overnight. I ignored the problem. Then I began to hear a fluttering noise, kinda like talking into a spinning fan, around 2500-3500 rpm. I assumed this was some sort of lash adjuster (aka lifter) trouble but was unable to find any evidence of this with the valve covers off. So I ignored it.

Anyway, about 4 months later (65k miles total) that fluttering sound got a lot worse, became more metallic, and the engine stopped running. I subsequently found out that the real problem all along was the timing chain tensioner, which is known to have a leaky check valve that bleeds down over night. So, while I ignored the problem, the tensioner lost its ability to, er, tension. Then the chain chewed up the tensioner's guide block etc and the rest was catastrophic history. Result: new engine and hole in wallet.

I have no idea what the cost of the preventative tensioner replacement is (prolly similar to the cost of replacing the chains themselves, not cheap).

I'd ask the dealer about the TSB, and keep an ear out for any other sounds that pop up.

-Kurt

-Kurt

"I'm a little sceptical of that internet thing. After all, what's it got besides information?"
-DB, 1/97
J
JonS Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm a little out of my league here, as my mechanical abilities stop shortly after changing the oil filter (which is no easy task on the Duratec!).

Anyhow, I hate my dealership. They've never given me anything but the run-around. Kurt - is your experience related to what Blue Streak was talking about? How common is this engine destruction? I haven't heard any of the fluttering noise you've described, and I can't imagine getting my dealer to actually check something like that.

What is the TSB? Is it worth the hassle of having them do whatever it indicates? confused confused confused

2000 SE Sport
ATX
Navy Blue, Gray
M
M
JonS,

My experience is exactly what BlueStreak was talking about....with the twist of catastrophic failure in the end. I don't have any idea regarding frequency of total engine failure, as I only know that in my case it got really ugly.

Don't like your dealer? Might be time to try another. And is any of this work worth the hassle? Absolutely. Keep in mind your car is practically new. I personally couldn't bear to have 11k on the clock and noise like that every morning.

Good luck with this....

-Kurt

-Kurt

"I'm a little sceptical of that internet thing. After all, what's it got besides information?"
-DB, 1/97
T
T
My dealership tried to claim that because I
have the SVT 2.5L that the TSB doesn't apply
to my car, and they can't do the work. :p

T.

W
W
There may be hope here. I had this problem and had to replace my engine. When I went to the local ford dealer to get a clutch and and oil filter, the parts guy told me that there was a new motorcraft oil filter with a silicon valve that maintains the oil pressure. Since the tensioners are held in place by oil pressure and the clacking sound occurs when the oil pressure drops overnight, this oil filter is supposed to supplement the original seals that keep the pressure up.

Try getting the filter from your local Ford dealer and installing it before you go and spend the money on the TSB. If it works, it will save you mucho $. So far, my new engine (used actually, with 60k miles on it) is rattle-free on startup.

Good luck!
Geoff

T
T
Nothing maintains the oil pressure overnight,the valve in the filter just stops the filter draining so that at least a 'slug' of oil is ready to be pumped.The tensioners are located at the END of the main oil gallery and get pressure after the crank but before the cams.If the lash is too bad have it changed or you could 'jump the sprocket' with the chain and hit a valve because the timing is off.NEVER rev the motor at startup until the o/p gage has 'kicked' and shown pressure.The early Duratecs did wear out the chain guide rails very quickly, the plastic material was changed on later engines.Regards TAH ,Haines Motor Sports Inc

V6 MTX
'Don't p**s up my back then tell me it's raining!!!"
'Its only nuts & bolts!'
'If I build it,fix it,upgrade it or modify it...MAYBE they will come....!
Haines Motor Sports Inc,
Dealer for 'Quaife America' & 'Autotech Sport Tuning'
SOLE USA Dealer for the American Axle 'AUSSIE BAR'...
Get a Turbo for you Zetec from HMS Inc...by 'The Demon' ...www.DemonDynamics.co.uk
..don't talk about it DO IT !!!
R
R
Geoff(WGHarper),

Very interesting point Geoff. I have been watching with interest in reference to this timing chain issue. I too have this "Problem" with my 2.5L, although from what I keep hearing, many are saying it's not actually anything that can manifest itself into something terrible. Anyway, based on your comment about the oil filter with the silicone valve, you may have a very valid point. I never take my car to Ford for oil changes therefore no Ford filter. I phoned Ford and asked about the silicone valve and was told that Ford has been using that in their filters for the last 30 years.... Ya whatever. My next filter will be a Ford filter ($9.00 Canadian), and we'll see if it makes a difference. Something tells me that Ford would say they had a built in flux-capacitor with a heffer-rod if in their filters if they thought it was going to get you off their back.... I'm just sayin.

95 Contour LX
Approximately 120,000miles
2.5 MTX
Red
W
W
Thanks for the technical insight Terry. The parts guy may have just wanted to turn me into a return customer. wink

One of my timing chains BROKE at 75mph in the mountains of Virginia on Christmas Eve last year. It then gathered around the crank sprocket and locked it up solid. You can imagine the drama!

I would encourage anyone with this problem to not ignore it, whatever you decide to do.

Geoff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard