Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Steve Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have read many posts stating that moosing occurs in the winter. Mine only happens in the summer. Is there a reason for that? Why does my car sometimes idle rough and stall when moosing occurs?

R
R
Funny, mine only happens when its cooler out. I don't drive it in the winter, but on spring or fall mornings when the air is "crisper" is when my car makes moose calls :rolleyes:...

Rick Barnes
Zexel Torsen Inc

'66 Ranchero
'72 Yamaha R5C
'84 EXP Turbo Coupe
'88 Mazda 323GTX
'99 Contour SVT
'02 Ranger FX4
J
J
My car mooses all the time - at least at lower speeds, and especially in first gear. I was concerned something was wrong with the transmission, but the dealership told me it was normal. It doesn't seem to affect the performance at all, but it sure is annoying!

2000 SE Sport
ATX
Navy Blue, Gray
G
G
Mine's definitely a cool weather moose. Really bad when it's below 40 - gotta do the TH fix. I took it out when the weather got warm again.

Greg
99 SVT Tropic/Tan
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by GMATT:
Mine's definitely a cool weather moose. Really bad when it's below 40 - gotta do the TH fix. I took it out when the weather got warm again.

Oddly enough, mine does it more at higher altitude, and when it's warm. It's almost always when I'm rev-matching on a downshift. Revving again will make it "go away" almost immediately - so it's definately IAC related.

Annoying, but not sure I want to fix it as I'm probably trading it in for a Prius (much better gas mileage). I'll miss the performance, but not the thirst for premium in Orange County.

-Rick
'99 SVT - 44700 miles.

'99 SVT Silver Frost, 44k miles
Stock except for the stereo.
L
L
My moose started up real bad in the last week or so and it is about -5 to -10 here. Fix is $186 at the Ford dealer.

C
C
My moose was only in the summer and only in 2001. I killed it with the TH fix. Have you done that yet? It's a 15 minute job and the part costs about $0.15.

Cason Grover
Houston
Silver E0

R
R
Here's an idea for anyone with moose on the stock SVT airbox...
It solved my problem but I maybe I was special.
Ford design on the SVT intake box was kinda difficult for me...the little tab would never go in the plastic slot at the bottom and even when it did...the bottom wouldnt sit flush.
So what i did is shave off the part which stuck out on the accordian tube protruding outward(not on the box!)
Then i drilled a hole in the tab on the box. Theres a space under the accordian tube which I ran a bolt with a washer on it through...this goes through the hole i drilled on the airbox I then secured everything with a nut and tightened it up. Slipped back in the boot(mine was ripped).
I put a large flat head screw clamp(like the one holding the intake tube to the TB) over the boot and cranked it down tight so it was air tight around the box. Haven't heard Mr moose since then! Juust a suggestion.

Originally posted by 99SESPORT:
First off, if somebody is grabbing your nuts, your gonna do everything you can to get him off...
And sitting there telling him politely

"Please let go of my nuts, sir?"

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard