Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41654 05/14/02 07:39 AM
C
chris11 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I was wondering if anyone knows of any worthwhile mods for a 1996 Mercury Mystique. Any input would be appreciated, any thoughts on handling, looks, engine, exhaust, whatever. I'm looking to spend around 500 dollars or so, and I'm sure this is probably going to limit things quite a bit... *shrug*

My car is the Merc Mystique LS version, with the 2.5L Duratec/Automatic Transmission.

Thanks,
Chris

#41655 05/14/02 11:00 AM
J
J
Nope,

None of the Contour mods work on the Mystique. Something about the Mercury badge wink

Just kidding, there are all sorts of mods.

I'd say start with the main page at contour.org and look at some of the information already posted about modifications. I do believe costs are posted on many as well.

http://www.contour.org/mods/

Then, come back with a specific question, such as, those of you who did the XYZ mod, did it work for you?, would you do it again?, and so forth.

FWIW, I'm a performance kinda guy and hardly find time to wash my car, so appearance mods are not important to me. But go fast, stop fast and turn fast are.

So the first things I've purchased are wheels and tires, and new brakes. Koni's and Eibachs as well as the AussieBar (an anti-roll bar designed by one of our members) are my next suspension mod. I've also installed a Borla Exhaust.

When all of that is done, then maybe I'll spend the $$$ to get my ride made pretty laugh

Heck, I usually listen to AM radio, so I'm not dumping any $$$ into booming beats.

I'm not cool either smile but that is another story from the off topic boards. But it does help explain why I really don't care about the show aspect of my car.

HTH,

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
#41656 05/23/02 12:58 PM
L
L
I got the same car as yah. I haven't had the $$ to do anything to it yet, other then dropping in a cd player and changing headlight bulbs.
-The headlights are a lot whiter and more powerful and are great. They are sylvannia cool blues. But if you like the bluish look of the new lexus and bmws, then try the xenon bulbs.
-As soon as i round up $100+, im going to drop in a kkm air system. It'll give yah great sound and the tiniest increase in power.
-the cd player and the audio is a personal choice, the dude above me has his opinions. But i say go ahead, put something in that you can enjoy (speakers, subs, whatever floats your boat). Just don't make it obnoxious.
This is your car, have fun with it!

*lebeau*:)

'96 Mystique LS V6: too many miles!
Gettin' started w/:Cool Blues, Sony XPLOD
Future: KKM, Subs, and maybe an SVT!
#41657 05/23/02 06:42 PM
J
J
Pick up someone's SVT rims and exhaust...I got E1 rims with fresh KDWs and an SVT exhaust for $500. I also put in a K&N stock-type air filter, which was about $40. That small combination of parts made a pretty big difference. The car looks a lot better with the new rims and dual pipes, sounds great, corners really well considering I don't have any other suspension mods, and didn't break the bank, so I can more easily justify putting some more $$$ into other mods.

#41658 05/26/02 06:19 PM
T
T
start with the creature comforts first (interior)
car audio, strobes and neon kits. they make ride more enjoyable for you.then work on the engine mods and suspension set ups. work on cosmetics last,if your like me the only thing people usually
see is your tailights.

98 countour SE
white,AT,all power
booming stereo,red under stereo
strobes

tattooed plumber
#41659 05/28/02 07:44 PM
E
E
I've got the same car as you as well.

Change the sound system, cool blue or xenon head lights bulbs, do the fog lamp mod, add splash guards and do some sound proofing. It will feel like a new car. This can all be done for under $1000.00. Do a little at a time. wink

After that... new rims and tires.
That should keep you happy for awhile. :p

Eurythmian laugh

'96 Oxford White Mercury Mystique "Spree"
Equipped with a stock 170hp Duratec 2.5L - V-6, 4 speed ATX
It's a Tubeless Tique!!! ( DFW will understand... )

Purchased NEW @ $18,756.00 on 1/11/97 with 25 miles on the Odometer for the wife.
Now has a little over 57,000 miles on it and it's my ride after getting the wife a 2000 Windstar SEL.
High Beam - Cool Blues in all four Head Lights.
885s in Fogs.
Head Light Switch Wiring Mod ? Can now run with Parks and Fogs together.
Updated the sound system and did sound proofing (What a difference!).

Dad of twins.

I'm such the family man.

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard