Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
Lets hear it for the Twinkies! Sure they're an "Abberation" but being the third best team in their League isn't too bad. (So there division sucks but look they're only 17 games ahead of the White Sox!) I would like to see the Twins vs the Cards, brings back memories of '87!

96 Contour GL
2.5 ATX
02 Mazda Protege LX
2.0 MTX
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by bacoSVT:
Red Sox!!!

umm..yeah. :rolleyes:
curse of the Bambino, go Yankees!!!
no, i'm not on the bandwagon either, i've liked them since the days of donnie baseball (Don Mattingly)

98 Black SVT
It's all coming, soon!
S
S
I'd just be happy to see my Expos finish above .500 and maybe, just maybe, stay in Montreal.

They might just actually have a winning season, but will they stay in Montreal?

They are only 1 game below .500 right now...stay tuned, kids.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red
Production #4794 of 6535
Build date: 2/25/1998
Mods completed:
- Pre '97 sail panels
Mods planned:
- K & N Air Filter
- Side marker lights
D
D
the problem with the Expos isn't with the team they have fielded, it is with the utter lack of fan support.

S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by dnewma04:
the problem with the Expos isn't with the team they have fielded, it is with the utter lack of fan support.
It's a vicious cycle in Montreal - when you look at the year the team was having in 1994, the games were very well attended.

Then - a player's strike. All the good players became free agents, and the team had to let them go.

Then - surprise! The next year, they fall towards the basement. Fans stay away.

Then - wow, imagine that! No money to retain the good players in the subsequent years when they became free agents!

Then - well, would you look here! Fans stay away because the team sucks. No revenues.

Of course, then you have Loria come in, buy the team, and then make a colossal cluster-f**k of any revenue-generating activities - not only do they not have any TV broadcasting presence this year, but they don't even have a local radio broadcasting agreement!

I think Loria and his GM Samson's incompetence was completely intentional, with an eye towards buying the Expos on the cheap, sabotaging any change at the team's success, and then moving the team to another city and then selling the team at an enormous profit. Why else would you get rid of Felipe Alou, who has done an amazing job with the talent he has been given every year? With the talent present on the team each opening day, I would argue that the Expos have almost been overachievers the past few years.

Of course, they're the farm team for the rest of the major leagues, but what can you do about that?

If the team could find a little bit of traction, I would wager that some fans would return to watching the game.

1998 E1 SVT - Toreador Red
Production #4794 of 6535
Build date: 2/25/1998
Mods completed:
- Pre '97 sail panels
Mods planned:
- K & N Air Filter
- Side marker lights
D
D
I used to follow their team up until 94 time frame. Even then, 20-25k was a good turnout for a game. That is low for a team in contention or leading the division at that point. Only the Mets, Padres and Pirates were lower.

The Expos have been the best minor league team for the last 15 years. They bring up talent and lose it to other teams who can pay up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard