OP Offline
C
Quote:
Excursion heads to extinction
News reports say mammoth sport-utility is done

July 31, 2002

BY LAWRENCE ULRICH
DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Ford Motor Co. will stop producing the controversial Excursion sport-utility vehicle following the 2004 model year, according to news reports Tuesday.

As the biggest, burliest SUV sold in the United States -- nearly 19 feet long and weighing about 7,200 pounds -- the Excursion was attacked by social critics who accused Ford of environmental irresponsibility. And its elimination, reported first by WDIV-TV (Channel 4) in Detroit, would end Ford's original plans to create a second-generation model that could sell for the remainder of the decade.

Sara Tatchio, a Ford spokeswoman, said the automaker could not speculate on product plans. Tatchio acknowledged the Excursion made some enemies initially, but said the controversy has largely died down.

"It's extremely well-liked by consumers," Tatchio said. "The Excursion remains in our lineup for 2003, and that's all I can add."

Sales have been somewhat disappointing, down 17 percent through June from a year ago, selling 15,107 units through June.

Taller and longer than even GM's Chevy Suburban, the nine-passenger Excursion delivered about 12 m.p.g. and proved too tall to fit in many garages.

Ford released the Excursion in 1999, when sport-utilities were topping each other for size and room, but it quickly proved that bigger wasn't always better. The lumbering Excursion failed to unseat the Suburban as the sales king among full-size SUVs.

The Excursion stumbled from the start, in part because of a wave of negative publicity from environmental groups such as the Sierra Club.

Even before the Excursion was officially introduced, the Sierra Club ran a contest on its Web site to choose a nickname for the vehicle. The winner was the Ford Valdez, after the Exxon tanker that ran aground in Alaska.

Tuesday night, Carl Pope, the executive director of the Sierra Club, hailed the Excursion's pending demise. "I think this is a sign that the age of dinosaurs is about to come to an end," he said.

The Excursion's introduction came less than a year after William Clay Ford Jr., an avowed environmentalist and great-grandson of the company's founder, became chairman in 1998. Ford found himself in the awkward spot of having to justify the vehicle, which the Sierra Club contended would emit 130 tons of carbon dioxide over its lifetime, compared with 23 tons for a car.

An auto analyst who requested anonymity said the decision took him somewhat by surprise. The Excursion, based on the existing Super-Duty F250 pickup platform, cost Ford very little to design and produce, he said.

While sales are down this year, the roughly $41,000 Excursion delivers $10,000 or more in profits for each sale.

The Excursion is built at Ford's Kentucky Truck Assembly plant in Louisville, alongside the Super-Duty F-Series pickup. Eliminating the Excursion would likely have little effect on the plant's 5,700 hourly workers, analysts said.
I had to laugh at the part about it being $41,000. I saw one when I bought the 'tour and it was almost $50,000. Then again trucks are more expensive in New Mexico.

-Ken V.
psycho_bass@hotmail.com
My Car
D
D
Screw the left wingers. That truck IS popular around here.

Have you ever been to a tree-hugger rally? I swear to God, you will see quite a few ancient Volvo's and Rice-Burners spewing black smoke. How Earth-frendly is that?

I am a sort of enviromentalist. I oppose mountain top removal mining (if ya want the details, PM me). I oppose clear cutting. But DAMN, these far-left wacko's are barking up the wrong tree. That truck actually met LEV standards.

Screw 'em. And screw Ford Jr. There is NO place for him to make a decision based on factional outcry and not demand of consumers. And don't give me any crap about it not being practical and not fitting in a garage. Like an F350 ever fit in someone's garage. :rolleyes:

Doug former owner of a 95 SE MTX
Now driving a Bravada, no more fun in the twisties!
DrGonzo767@aol.com
L
L
Good. They are damn school buses. mad

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCo:
Good. They are damn school buses. mad
You don't get it. There are needs for these trucks. When is the last time you towed a 2-horse trailor? AND took your spouse and three kids with you? AND riding gear? Thats' my girlfriend's sister's family. Just becuase status-seeking soccer Mom's buy these is no reason to hate. Some people have a need for certain products. Again, these seem to be popular around here. I see a couple everyday (and this is not the most populated area, duh!). AND I see a lot of SuperDuty's and F350's. Yuppies buy Lexus SUV's. Others buy Excusrsions and Suburbans. Some people need them. And at $10k profit, they seem to meet the demands of any supply and demand review.

Doug former owner of a 95 SE MTX
Now driving a Bravada, no more fun in the twisties!
DrGonzo767@aol.com
Quote:
Originally posted by DrGonzo:
Quote:
[b]Good. They are damn school buses. mad
You don't get it. There are needs for these trucks. When is the last time you towed a 2-horse trailor? AND took your spouse and three kids with you? AND riding gear? Thats' my girlfriend's sister's family. Just becuase status-seeking soccer Mom's buy these is no reason to hate. Some people have a need for certain products. Again, these seem to be popular around here. I see a couple everyday (and this is not the most populated area, duh!). AND I see a lot of SuperDuty's and F350's. Yuppies buy Lexus SUV's. Others buy Excusrsions and Suburbans. Some people need them. And at $10k profit, they seem to meet the demands of any supply and demand review.[/b]
A need for these trucks? Below you will find the the Ford E Series that can do most everything the Excursion can do, but doesn't get as much respect because it is a van. Below is one priced with ALL the options available for it. It is obviously less than an Excursion. On top of that, you can hold 15 people, or stuff, and haul a two horse trailor. Personally, I have seen very few if any Excursions being used to haul anything but a small mother and a couple of kids. (I did see one with a lift kit and the full four wheel drive package...wow) ANyway, the Excursion was brought out to compete with the Suburban and it failed miserably. (Granted, I would drive one, but it wouldn't be to haul horses).
Quote:
Total MSRP: $39,015.00 (less than the excursion starts at)
click here for Total MSRP explanation
Body Style: E-350 Super Duty Extended
Model Group: XLT

Engine: 7.3L DI Turbo Diesel
Transmission: Electronic 4-Speed Automatic with Overdrive (Diesel)

Packages
- Trailer Towing Package (Class II/III/IV)
- Insulation Package

Power
- 7.3L DI Turbo Diesel
- Electronic 4-Speed Automatic with Overdrive (Diesel)
- 4.10 Axle Ratio, Limited Slip

Exterior
- True Blue Clearcoat Metallic
- 16" Full Sport Wheel Covers
- LT245/75Rx16E BSW All-Season

Interior
- Medium Graphite
- 15-Passenger: Two Front Captain's Chairs; Three 3-Passenger Rear Bench Seats; One 4-Passenger Bench Seat
- Cloth Captain's Chairs
- Power Driver's Seat
- Premium Plus CDX-6 AM/FM Stereo/Clock/6 CD

Options
- High-Capacity Air Conditioning (Front and Rear)
- Dual System Alternator
- Full Function Auxiliary Idle Control
- Chrome Rear Step Bumper
- Power Windows and Door Locks
- Sliding Side Cargo Door
- Full-Length Vinyl Floor Mat
- Privacy Glass
- Engine Block Heater
- Bright Low Mount Recreational Mirrors, LH/RH
- Overhead Console with Temperature, Compass and Storage
- Remote Keyless Entry System/Panic Alarm
- Running Boards
- Speed Control
And that is with all the options...

1999 CONTOUR SE SPORT
2001 HONDA CIVIC LX SEDAN
- 1.7L 5 Spd
- '02 SI RIMS
- Reverse Indiglo Gauges
"Biblical principles work, there are no exceptions."
www.geocities.com/jesusfr7282000
http://www.7thgencivic.com/members_rides/member.cfm?id=5895
L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by DrGonzo:
Quote:
[b]Good. They are damn school buses. mad
You don't get it. There are needs for these trucks. When is the last time you towed a 2-horse trailor? AND took your spouse and three kids with you? AND riding gear? Thats' my girlfriend's sister's family. Just becuase status-seeking soccer Mom's buy these is no reason to hate. Some people have a need for certain products. Again, these seem to be popular around here. I see a couple everyday (and this is not the most populated area, duh!). AND I see a lot of SuperDuty's and F350's. Yuppies buy Lexus SUV's. Others buy Excusrsions and Suburbans. Some people need them. And at $10k profit, they seem to meet the demands of any supply and demand review.[/b]
That is why my dad bought an Expedition. And it is still not as big as the Excursion. wink

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
T
T
Exactly Hector - the Expedition is plenty large for ANY reason you would need an SUV. When the Excursion was introduced I was angered by it, why? Not because I am a "tree-hugger", but because it is a gas guzzling, overweight, ugly people killer on wheels. I cannot believe people would waste thier money on such a peice of dirt of a vehicle. If you NEED to go offroading, or haul heavy loads, either get a superduty extended cab truck or a large SUV like the Expedition or even the still overpriced, oversized Suburban.

98 E0 Silver SVT
KKM - Bassani - MSDS - BAT - ES - Unorthodox - HID - Dyna-batt - Koni - Ground Control - 17" MAS Italy Rodger - Quaife - Fidanza

"Every easy girl I have been with has been either a hosebeast or a headcase" - Pete D
S
S
It's pretty bad when ford came out and admitted that the Expedition is " not safe for the people that ride in or are around it and on the road and it is unhealthy for the enviroment, but it there is a demand for this vehicle so we are going to sell it anyway!!" Maybe not word for word, but darn close to what their press release said. Now THAT makes me almost ashamed to drive a ford (if this car just wasn't so darn much fun!!!!) I really don't remember caused all this to come about, but I remember clearly the press release, this says alot for the NTSB!!!

95 Teal Se 5 spd,duratech, loaded(except moonroof) no mods.
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by CRZYDRVR:
Quote:
Excursion heads to extinction
News reports say mammoth sport-utility is done

July 31, 2002

BY LAWRENCE ULRICH
DETROIT FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Ford Motor Co. will stop producing the controversial Excursion sport-utility vehicle following the 2004 model year, according to news reports Tuesday.

As the biggest, burliest SUV sold in the United States -- nearly 19 feet long and weighing about 7,200 pounds -- the Excursion was attacked by social critics who accused Ford of environmental irresponsibility. And its elimination, reported first by WDIV-TV (Channel 4) in Detroit, would end Ford's original plans to create a second-generation model that could sell for the remainder of the decade.

Sara Tatchio, a Ford spokeswoman, said the automaker could not speculate on product plans. Tatchio acknowledged the Excursion made some enemies initially, but said the controversy has largely died down.

"It's extremely well-liked by consumers," Tatchio said. "The Excursion remains in our lineup for 2003, and that's all I can add."

Sales have been somewhat disappointing, down 17 percent through June from a year ago, selling 15,107 units through June.

Taller and longer than even GM's Chevy Suburban, the nine-passenger Excursion delivered about 12 m.p.g. and proved too tall to fit in many garages.

Ford released the Excursion in 1999, when sport-utilities were topping each other for size and room, but it quickly proved that bigger wasn't always better. The lumbering Excursion failed to unseat the Suburban as the sales king among full-size SUVs.

The Excursion stumbled from the start, in part because of a wave of negative publicity from environmental groups such as the Sierra Club.

Even before the Excursion was officially introduced, the Sierra Club ran a contest on its Web site to choose a nickname for the vehicle. The winner was the Ford Valdez, after the Exxon tanker that ran aground in Alaska.

Tuesday night, Carl Pope, the executive director of the Sierra Club, hailed the Excursion's pending demise. "I think this is a sign that the age of dinosaurs is about to come to an end," he said.

The Excursion's introduction came less than a year after William Clay Ford Jr., an avowed environmentalist and great-grandson of the company's founder, became chairman in 1998. Ford found himself in the awkward spot of having to justify the vehicle, which the Sierra Club contended would emit 130 tons of carbon dioxide over its lifetime, compared with 23 tons for a car.

An auto analyst who requested anonymity said the decision took him somewhat by surprise. The Excursion, based on the existing Super-Duty F250 pickup platform, cost Ford very little to design and produce, he said.

While sales are down this year, the roughly $41,000 Excursion delivers $10,000 or more in profits for each sale.

The Excursion is built at Ford's Kentucky Truck Assembly plant in Louisville, alongside the Super-Duty F-Series pickup. Eliminating the Excursion would likely have little effect on the plant's 5,700 hourly workers, analysts said.
I had to laugh at the part about it being $41,000. I saw one when I bought the 'tour and it was almost $50,000. Then again trucks are more expensive in New Mexico.
Everything is more expensive in NM! frown Tried to get a hooker in Albuquerque once and she wanted $100. I was like WTF!!! wink

P. Valdez

1998 VW Jetta TDI
1.9L I4 direct injection turbo diesel
5 speed manual
no mods, no money

AIM:PackRatTDI

My exhaust smells better than yours.
T
T
i'm glad they're killing it too. thing was a waste

No car anymore ;\ (taking a break from driving due to several misfortunate occurances)
Newest mod for my Dad's Cobra 'vert: My beautiful girlfriend and I for passengers when we want to go somewhere laugh
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard