Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#338337 07/24/02 08:29 PM
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkO:
Did any of you married/long term relationship folks know as soon as you met your wife/husband/SO that they were the one ??

Yep!! First saw her at a dance in 1967 and knew right away she was the one. Married her in 1971 and we're still going strong 31 years later. laugh

98.5 SE Sport badgeless, MTX, KKM, SVT exhaust with resonator intact.
1985 Z51 Vette with many mods. Only used when the Tour appears to be outclassed.
#338338 07/24/02 09:10 PM
P
P
This is major OT, but:

I have to make a strong second for Outback Gal, I think that North America is becoming far to dependent on the fact that they can back out of almost anything. Whatever happened to committment? At this point, you can get married, and it's no big deal cause you can always get out through divorce. Like she said, it's actually much worse for you to live together first, and AFAIK, something like %75 of couples that live together before getting married end in divorce. Another thing is that sex is now a casual thing that is treated as nothing, which is completely opposite of what it was intended for, and if she happens to get pregnant you can always just get an abortion.

Personally I believe that living together is for cowards and lazy people that aren't willing to commit to something. Rather take the time to get to know each other properly, spend time together, develop a strong relationship with no sex whatsoever until you're married. Then Sex becomes something special that only you share, and like she said again, work at your marriage.

Sorry this is so OT, but I really believe strongly in the institution of marriage. Let the flaming begin.

Vic

95 MIDNIGHT RED MTX 2.5L SE TOUR
HOMEMADE CAI, FOGS W/ PARKS,
F-STONE SH30'S, MYSTERY MOD
#338339 07/24/02 09:39 PM
P
P
I didn't know when I first met her. Matter of fact, I was dating someone else at the time and made sure I was clear on that on our second date. Also made clear to her that she was free to see other people. She didn't, and a few months later I got tired of the other girl and we started dating exclusively. We didn't start out trying to force ourselves on each other, but as time went on we realized we were perfect together. A lot of my friends comment that they've never seen a couple so well matched after spending time with us.

You know it has to be for real when you marry her twice! wink Our "meetaversary" (4th) is coming up in about 2 weeks.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
#338340 07/24/02 10:07 PM
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by poor mans SVT:

Personally I believe that living together is for cowards and lazy people that aren't willing to commit to something. Rather take the time to get to know each other properly, spend time together, develop a strong relationship with no sex whatsoever until you're married. Then Sex becomes something special that only you share, and like she said again, work at your marriage.
Vic
Get some help my friend, Marriage is a piece of paper granted to you by the Govt! I'm glad you think the Govt needs to sanction your commitments.

Congratulations on thinking the Govt must be part of your entire life. Enjoy your higher taxes as well.

Good opinion, I just dont agree.

#338341 07/25/02 01:05 AM
S
S
aahhh, marriage...

well, I agree with just about everyone on here...oh and Mushu, nice story, I like you and Chris more and more everytime I here about you two, you guys are great, and I cant wait to see you two!!

And, of course I have to do a full fledges DITTO with Rach!!! laugh wink

'95 Tour LX
ZETEC MTX
TOO MANY MODS TO LIST ANYMORE!!
http://www.geocities.com/marine113

Best mod ever to my tour: A Beautiful passenger seat filler, that is my Beautiful Girl!!
#338342 07/25/02 02:45 PM
T
T
I eat dynamite...
That is all...

1996 Contour "Mean Green" (99-02)
2002 Malibu Blue Focus ZX5 - something to hold the PB 15...
#338343 07/25/02 08:18 PM
O
Administrator
Administrator
O
Quote:
Originally posted by Fmr12B:
Get some help my friend, Marriage is a piece of paper granted to you by the Govt!
I am sorry, but your idea of marriage is pretty skewed if you think it's only a piece of paper granted to you by the Govt.

-Christy

01 Outback Limited Wagon with all the goodies
I also get to drive my hubby's 95 SE!!!
#338344 07/25/02 08:34 PM
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel:
you know when they are the only thing on your mind 24/7 ... anything and everything you see reminds you of them... when you try to make decisions you stop and ask yourself how would this effect them... when you realize its not that you could live with them.. its that you cant live w/ out them... when they do things that would normally bother or annoy you and you just stop and laugh b/c they are just sooo adorable smile .. or when they bring the best out of you.. you stop doing things you would normally do b/c you know it makes them happy... you go totally out of your way to do something nice .... you would give up anything and everything for them if it came down to it...

maybe I think all this b/c Im totally in love w/ my other half and this is how I know.. forgive me if I am wrong smile
I agree with Rachel but I also think that marriage should not be rushed. Feelings can fade, but if you can go through college with the same feelings still there, then you know they are the one. I feel that younger people make two large transitions in life:
HS to College
College to the "Real World"
HS to College is very drastic because you are finally out on your own. As for College to the "real world" you go from being on your own to truly being on your own. Soon I will have to face the second scenario as my gf will most likely graduate next year, with me having two years to go (my school is a 5 year program and she is a year older than me). If you have a strong relationship, you will be able to work through anything. If not, time will be the ultimate test. That is why I do not want to rush into anything. However, if after I graduate or close to graduating, and I am still with my girlfriend I will know that she is the one. Sorry for the rant laugh .

David Litsky
AIM: DaveL225
My Car
#338345 07/29/02 05:43 PM
D
D
any update Mark?

David Litsky
AIM: DaveL225
My Car
#338346 07/29/02 08:23 PM
M
M
Yes it can happen - You just have to be smart enough/lucky enough to catch on to it!

Look at my post here

Good luck

Also it's nice to see all the romantics here. I am never sure if I am one of a dwindling few. Yes, I am a romantic, but I am also a realist, marriage takes work, even the best of them (which I think I am fortunate to have one of!)

To the individual proposing (wordplay eh? cool ) that marriage is just a piece of paper from the government: I feel very sad for you, you will never get the type of love, joy and comfort that can only come from someone who is truly committed to you, simply because you don't seem willing to give that type of love in return.

Marriage is the ultimate test of faith in one's own ability to give of themselves and judge another.

It is one of the 2 most rewarding personal relationships one can acquire in life along with the bond of one's child/children.

1998 CSVT Silver Frost
#1119 of 6535 dob 5-20-97
custom seating and dash
valentine one (hardwired)
clifford 700-IQ
BMP Front STB
HPP Rear STB
Mirko Tie Down
FMS 9mm plug wires

classics:
1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3
1971 Audi 100LS 2 door