Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Pete D Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I'll try to make the story as short and simple as possible.

I have a 'restricted use license' from the NYS DMV. This is because I have had a problem in the past with speeding tickets. It limits me to drive only to/from school and work. I asked the NYS DMV what it meant when I was out of state, they told me they didn't know because it depended on the other states laws, and I work in CT. :rolleyes:

I also have a suspended registration. This is because my insurance lapsed. Long story short my company went out of business and I was screwed in the process. I owe NYS a $400 fine to get my registration back in the clear.

My friends and myself are going on a road trip of about 1000 miles total this weekend. I am not stupid enough to drive the leg in NYS however we are taking my car. I am trying to figure out what would happen if we got stoped out of state. I don't even know if the police there can run our plates or our licenses. I'd rather not get arrested so, if need be I won't drive. All of our travel will be done in NY and PA. I can't seem to get much of an answer with anyone in NY so I figured maybe some of you knew some important info.

Sandman, presuming you read this could you let me know what would happen in IL, and if you are familiar with any other states laws/systems on this subject matter.

All advice of the non-flamitory kind is apreciated :p

-Pete

Every time I come online I wonder if the forums will be up
P
P
I can tell you this: If you are pulled over driving in the city of Philadelphia, and you don't have CURRENT and VALID driver's license, registration, AND insurance coverage (ins might not be enforceable for out of state car), then your car WILL BE TOWED AND IMPOUNDED. It's called "Live Stop", and when the wrecker pulls away with your car the cops leave you to walk wherever it is you need to go. You don't get your car back until you can provide valid documents, and pay the fine/impound fees.

I can't say anything about your license, but I imagine it isn't all that difficult to see if the registration is valid, even if out of state. Hope that trip doesn't include driving in Philly.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
P
Pete D Offline OP
OP Offline
P
damn that was quick!

not driving into philly, going to rolling rock town fair 3.3 and staying near pittsburgh.

The registration looks valid, both on the glass and the paper ticket. the inspection is valid and so is my insurance coverage, they would have to run the tags to find out anything....

D
D
Rest assured, if you are pulled over your plates will be ran, and you can watch your car get towed away!

Can't speak for other states, and we don't have "restricted" licenses here, but in WV if there is any suspiscion you are driving on any kind of revoked licesnse, you will be arrested and taken straight to jail. Bail for driving on a revoked is usually $5000.

Doug former owner of a 95 SE MTX
Now driving a Bravada, no more fun in the twisties!
DrGonzo767@aol.com
P
Pete D Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Bueller, Ferris??!!

I wouldn't see how a cop car computer could access other states DMV reccords but what do I know?

Sandman?

-Pete

D
D
many states are linked, I know around here they link to OH and KY, since we are right on the borders

Doug former owner of a 95 SE MTX
Now driving a Bravada, no more fun in the twisties!
DrGonzo767@aol.com
S
S
Ok, here goes:

In IL, if you were stopped and it was discovered that your DL was suspended or revoked, in this or any other state, you are subject to arrest. Not all agencies arrest for this (jails overcrowding), but most do. I do, every time. If you can post the $1000 bail (we have a 10% rule, meaning the bail is $1000, but you only have to put up $100 to get out), then you can leave, from jail. You still get handcuffed and a ride in the cruiser.

Further, yes, we can check from our MDT (Mobile Data Terminal) whether your registration is expired/suspended/revoked. The same goes for your license. Remember, IL started LEADS. All I nead is your first name, middle initial, and last name, along with DOB and state, and I can run it for all 50.

If your registration is expired/suspended/revoked, we have the option to impound your car. I usually don't do that, just write the ticket. If the offender goes to court and shows the judge that he has since registered the car, the prosecutor will usually drop the ticket.

Further, there is a little something called the "Non-Residnet Violator Compact". I believe there are only 5 states that do not belong to it, Wisconsin is the only one that comes to mind right now, I'd have to check my book out in the car for the others. Basically, this is an agreement between all the member states to share violation information. Suppose you get a ticket in IL, and fail to pay it thinking that NY will never be the wiser. Wrong, NY, under the compact, must suspend your DL because of the IL ticket. IL could also issue a warrant for your arrest and force extradition, though that is extremely rare. In IL, we treat a traffic ticket the same as an arrest. You have to post bond on the spot. Bond can be the fine amount in cash (lowest is $75), a bond card if you have one, or your valid IL DL. If you have none of those, you could be arrested for a simple speeding offense, though again, that is rare.

Bottom line, if you are not valid to drive, don't do it. It can and will start a roller coster of bad news for you.

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." - President George W. Bush

95 Contour SE ATX V6
"Cracked" Secondaries
DMD Installed
SVT Brakes
J
Joe Offline
J
Intersting, Sandman.

What about an out of country DL? Can you get data at the police car for say Canada? Mexico? How about European DLs?

I remember in 1982 when we were to taking a trip to California and we drove through Nevada. My dad was speeding and all the windows were tinted in our "custom" van, so the troopers didn't know there was a family in the Van.

One of the troopers stood in front of the van about 10 feet ahead while the other came to the window. When the trooper at the window saw my dad's DL, he kinda chuckled and said, "Hey, he's from Canada!" and the other guy just relaxed. Maybe they were looking for someone...

Joe, 98 GL sport (V6 MTX)
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman333:
Ok, here goes:

In IL, if you were stopped and it was discovered that your DL was suspended or revoked, in this or any other state, you are subject to arrest. Not all agencies arrest for this (jails overcrowding), but most do. I do, every time. If you can post the $1000 bail (we have a 10% rule, meaning the bail is $1000, but you only have to put up $100 to get out), then you can leave, from jail. You still get handcuffed and a ride in the cruiser.

Further, yes, we can check from our MDT (Mobile Data Terminal) whether your registration is expired/suspended/revoked. The same goes for your license. Remember, IL started LEADS. All I nead is your first name, middle initial, and last name, along with DOB and state, and I can run it for all 50.

If your registration is expired/suspended/revoked, we have the option to impound your car. I usually don't do that, just write the ticket. If the offender goes to court and shows the judge that he has since registered the car, the prosecutor will usually drop the ticket.

Further, there is a little something called the "Non-Residnet Violator Compact". I believe there are only 5 states that do not belong to it, Wisconsin is the only one that comes to mind right now, I'd have to check my book out in the car for the others. Basically, this is an agreement between all the member states to share violation information. Suppose you get a ticket in IL, and fail to pay it thinking that NY will never be the wiser. Wrong, NY, under the compact, must suspend your DL because of the IL ticket. IL could also issue a warrant for your arrest and force extradition, though that is extremely rare. In IL, we treat a traffic ticket the same as an arrest. You have to post bond on the spot. Bond can be the fine amount in cash (lowest is $75), a bond card if you have one, or your valid IL DL. If you have none of those, you could be arrested for a simple speeding offense, though again, that is rare.

Bottom line, if you are not valid to drive, don't do it. It can and will start a roller coster of bad news for you.
Another good thing about NY is if i get a ticket in IL it doesn't go on my DL as long as i pay the ticket because NY does not recognize out of state violations except DWI,DUI,and anything else major, But speeding is not one of them (as long as ticket is payed) laugh :p

99 SVT Tropic Green
#151 of 503/ 2760 total
Born on 10/07/98
Adopted 7/15/00
LETS GO RANGERS (looking good this year)
P
Pete D Offline OP
OP Offline
P
slim, the only exception to that is in quebec and ontatio, supposodly they can carry over.

I guess I will have my friend drive, not worth getting arrested for AUO. Although I still have a license of sorts.

Thanks for the input guys, apparently I was more ignorant than I thought.

-Pete

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard