Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
This weekend we saw on the Sunday morning shows (from what I hear anyway, I was at the AutoX wink ) the same pols on the talking heads shows call for stricter corporate accounting.

Now hold on a minute, the same folks who decide to move much of what the federal government spends such as Social Security Off Budget now want corporations to not move things off their balance sheets.

I'll try to find a link to what my company's CEO said about this, but I believe his answer to the call by many in congress for reform of corporate accounting, is sure, you go first.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/3651132.htm

What say all ye here? I'm especially interested in what our resident accountants have to say on this topic.

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
J
OP Offline
J

Tony Boner
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
J
OP Offline
J
And finally, Face the Nation on CBS, with Gephardt calling for an investigation, and stating rules have been broken and stretched.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/15/ftn/main515168.shtml

This may all be true, but I suspect many corporations are following the accounting practices of the Federal government.

Wouldn't that be a hoot, if someone on trial used the defense strategy that they were simply following in the example of the government that regulates them.

Am I the only one that finds this both laughable and sad at the same time?

TB

Tony Boner
A
A
In my ususal genre of making totally unrelated remarks: quoted from NY Times w/o permission

Quote:

Cubicle Crimes
By SCOTT ADAMS

ANVILLE, Calif. ? Apparently, without anyone's noticing, our entire universe collapsed into a black hole and emerged in another dimension where everything is backward: Bill Gates (who used to be evil) is spending billions to vaccinate children in third-world countries, while the Catholic Church (which used to be good) is defending priests accused of molesting children. The stock market (which used to go up) now only drifts downward. And the surest way to lose respect is to mention you started a dot-com.

But here's the strangest backwardism of all: People seem surprised that captains of industry are stealing vast amounts of money at every opportunity. Back in our old dimension everyone assumed that C.E.O.'s and C.F.O.'s were weasels. Now it's big news.

I think it's useful to put these corporate scandals in perspective. Every employee I ever worked with in my old cubicle-dwelling days was pillaging the company on a regular basis, too. But the quantity of loot was rarely newsworthy. My weasel co-workers were pocketing office supplies, fudging expense reports, using sick days as vacation and engaging in a wide array of work-avoidance techniques.

Most people rationalize this kind of behavior by saying that corporations are evil and so the weasel employees deserve a little extra. The C.E.O.'s and C.F.O.'s aren't less ethical than employees and stockholders; they're just more effective. They're getting a higher quality of loot than the rank and file, and for that they must be punished.

I have some friends in law enforcement who say the only crooks that get caught are the stupid ones. Assuming this holds true for C.E.O.'s, it's bad news for the economy. I have to think that at least a few of the executives who are running billion-dollar companies are smart, so we might be seeing the tip of the weasel's tail here.

The typical C.E.O. legal defense ? and it's a good one ? is to place the blame on plain old massive incompetence, not on evil. If I end up on the jury for one of those trials, I'll be torn. On the one hand, I'm predisposed to believing that executives are indeed clueless. But on the other, I'm enough of a weasel to vote guilty just to watch a C.E.O. cry. I lost a lot of money on Enron, Tyco and WorldCom. (Yes, I owned stock in all three.) So I might enjoy being a juror on one of those cases. I might even volunteer. And when I sign in to the jury room each morning, I'll steal the pen, because frankly, I deserve it.

Scott Adams, a cartoonist, is the author of the forthcoming "Dilbert and the Way of the Weasel."

--alex | 96 GL(sort of) V6 ATX | 98 SE V6 MTX Sport
G
G
Quote:
Originally posted by javaContour:

I'll try to find a link to what my company's CEO said about this, but I believe his answer to the call by many in congress for reform of corporate accounting, is sure, you go first.
TB
Let's see, the Federal Government budget decisions are made in public, on the floor of the Congress and in the White House, by representatives and a President elected by the people, who can unelect them if they don't like the accounting practices, and none of the people involved are paid more than $200,000 per year. On the corporate side, decisions are made in secret, with the decisions hidden from the shareholders, who really can't engage in a successful proxy battle to remove them, and from the employees, who stand to lose everything, and the corporate CEO's and their cronies are paid millons per year. No, I don't see the parallel....

2000 Contour SE Sport T-Red MTX, Mystique rear dome light, Blau Florida cd.
J
OP Offline
J
Quote:
Originally posted by gwellington:
Quote:
[b]
TB
Let's see, the Federal Government budget decisions are made in public, on the floor of the Congress and in the White House, by representatives and a President elected by the people, who can unelect them if they don't like the accounting practices, and none of the people involved are paid more than $200,000 per year. On the corporate side, decisions are made in secret, with the decisions hidden from the shareholders, who really can't engage in a successful proxy battle to remove them, and from the employees, who stand to lose everything, and the corporate CEO's and their cronies are paid millons per year. No, I don't see the parallel....[/b]
Do you actually believe what you just wrote.

The Federal Government essentially takes money from you when they make a rule. At least corporations have to attract investors.

You don't think deals are done in secret in the Federal Government? Pass me some of what you are smoking, because I want to live in that eutopia, LOL.

Please tell me how the people can unelect even half of those in federal office right now? You said it could be done, so lets hear a workable plan.

I contend that it is just as difficult, if not more difficult, to unelect them, than to unseat board members of corporations. Why? Stockholders take a greater interest in what the companies do, than do the citizens, most of whom, don't bother to vote. However, every stockholder has voted, to a certain extent, with his or her dollars.

How many people even know about the accounting practices of the Federal government? I suspect not many.

However, before I let you derail my original question, let me ask you to visit the original question again, whose books are more crooked?

That question must be asked and seriously answered before we can even begin to discuss who gets shown the door during the next election.

Sadly, I doubt you will see much of that discussed in the press.

TB

Tony Boner
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by gwellington:
Quote:
[b]
TB
Let's see, the Federal Government budget decisions are made in public, on the floor of the Congress and in the White House, by representatives and a President elected by the people, who can unelect them if they don't like the accounting practices, and none of the people involved are paid more than $200,000 per year. On the corporate side, decisions are made in secret, with the decisions hidden from the shareholders, who really can't engage in a successful proxy battle to remove them, and from the employees, who stand to lose everything, and the corporate CEO's and their cronies are paid millons per year. No, I don't see the parallel....[/b]
Yeah, and the tobacco, pharmaceutical, insurance and 100 other lobbying groups don't sway budgetary numbers through back channels either. :rolleyes:

I'm also certain that the NSA and CIA's budgets are FULLY disclosed as well and nothing gets funneled around, either...

The amount that's tied up in the whole Worldcom scandal is pennies compared to the blatant WASTE of taxpayer dollars that we see year in and year out. Remember the $400 toilet bowl lids the Army was buying in the not too distant future?

I'm not defending one or the other, but if you think the US Government is running a clean house in terms of fully disclosed accounting this year or any in the past 60-70, Pluto just became a habitable planet...

JaTo
Overland Park, KS
JaTo@kc.rr.com

99 Contour SVT
#143/2760
Modded to Taste

00 Corvette Coupe
Modded to Haste
J
OP Offline
J
Oh, and I don't mean to imply that every government worker is part of some scam to defraud the public.

That would be just as unrealistic as saying that then entire workforce at Enron or Worldcom is to blame for the accounting practices.

My point is for the very members of the Executive and Legislative branches, who choose to place certain federal programs (liabilities) off budget, and then borrow the payroll taxes that fund those programs to make the on budget stuff look like it is not deficit spending, to then tell corporations that their books must be transparent is the highest form of hypocracy.

If they want to lead, then they must set the example. People will follow the example, not the rhetoric.

TB

Tony Boner

Link Copied to Clipboard