Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
T
I wrote this w/o seeing this topic.

A little bummed today. I don?t know how many have heard about a guy who doesn?t want his daughter citing the Pledge of Allegiance in school. His reasoning is that it has the word God in it. This guy is Atheist so I can see where he is coming from in that respect. Our country was partially founded on freedom of worship and he has his rights. The POA is just a little reminder of who we are and how we came to be what we are today. It?s not a religious statement. It?s going to be a sad day in this country if this is banned in our schools. I would almost say it would be a huge moral decline in our country. As if it wasn't bad enough as it is. Holiday?s are already banned in some schools now. No Halloween, Christmas, St. Valentines Day! When I was a kid these events were a main part of growing up. Many great memories of wearing costumes. Scooby was my favorite! Why do politics/politicians/"adults" have to take away the innocence of childhood? Isn?t life crappy enough sometimes? Let?s just take all the fun out of it. frown

The following words were spoken by the late Red Skelton on his television program as he related the story of his teacher, Mr. Laswell, who felt his students had come to think of the Pledge of Allegiance as merely something to recite in class each day. Now, more than ever, listen to the meaning of these words.

"I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word?"

I -- me, an individual, a committee of one.

Pledge -- dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self pity.

Allegiance -- my love and my devotion.

To the flag -- our standard, Old Glory, a symbol of freedom. Wherever she waves, there's respect because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts freedom is everybody's job!

United -- that means that we have all come together.

States -- individual communities that have united into 48 great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and
purpose; all divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that's love for country.

And to the republic -- a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands, one nation -- one nation, meaning "so blessed by God"

Indivisible -- incapable of being divided.

With liberty -- which is freedom -- the right of power to live one's own life without threats, fear or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice -- the principle or quality of dealing fairly with others.
For all -- which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country

and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance...

UNDER GOD

Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said
that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?

God Bless America!

"If you're pushing crazy I'm all full up here."

{Black '96 Contour SE MTX w/ over 126k on the clock}
· Get the skinny here.
· Need a 96-00 Ford Service Manual on CDROM?
D
D
What's really sad is that ONE man is causing this uproar and that ONE man is deciding the issue after hearing agruments from several different people. It seems like the majority of people like the POA the way it is or would just abstain from saying it if it offended them. Once again, the loud minority decides for the silent majority.

One last thing, someone mentioned swearing in on a Bible when taking the stand at court and the the oath mentioned God, I think that has been omitted in a lot of courts over the years.

1998.5 Contour SVT
#4790 of 6535
Black w/ Midnight Blue Interior
Touring Wing
35% window tint all around
KKN True-Rev Sport Induction
B&M Short Shifter
Pioneer 9300R radio w/ 3-way speakers
Custom "True" dual exhaust with Ferrari tips
P
Master P
Master P
P
http://news.findlaw.com/ap_stories/other/1110/6-27-2002/20020627053001_13.html

Quote:
Pledge Ruling Reversal Expected
By DAVID KRAVETS Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A federal appeals court panel drew outrage from across the political spectrum by ruling that it is unconstitutional for schoolchildren to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, but the decision may not last long.

Some legal scholars say the ruling, which takes issues with the phrase "one nation under God," will likely either be overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court or reversed by the full 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

T
T
CNN said that the court that made the ruling is the most liberal, hence it will most likely get overturned.

I swear, this country is eating itself alive. Ever since 9/11, every ****ing assclown feels they can defy our government. And it's like I've said before: if you don't like it, get the **** out.

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
F
Fox Offline
F
WTF, This is retarded, I swear to GOD

All this is, is some GODdamn redneck trying to get noticed, well he picked a good time to do it.. I hate the fact that America has become this big pussy who somewhere got sand inside.

Its getting so bad and sensitive that we cant even watch SPIDERMAN catch some bank robbers between the World trade towers!!!!

OH GOD I SAID WORLD TRADE TOWERS I THINK IM GONNA GO CRY FOR 3 DAYS NOW. mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

G
G
stupid post maybe but while flipping channels i came across cartoon network (shaddap)...they were showing a porky cartoon where he didn't want to read about history or learn the constitution or say the pledge...something i hadn't seen this one since i was a kid

anyway he falls asleep and has a dream where uncle sam comes to him and takes the book and teaches him about all the people that fought for the freedom of this country, etc u get the idea

it was very appropriate for this time and woulda been great to show school age kids who are hearing about this debate now

of course that crazy judge overturned his own ruling....asswipe

95 contour se...dark blue...monsterflow air filter...remanuf atx...wiring harness recall or bust!!!96k miles...motorcraft awsf32pp plugs & red ford racing 9mm wires...kvr black plated cross-drilled rotors & carbon fiber pads...currently undergoing renovation...excuse our dust!!!
are my dodgers for real????
V
V
Quote:
Originally posted by gdub520:
anyway he falls asleep and has a dream where uncle sam comes to him and takes the book and teaches him about all the people that fought for the freedom of this country, etc u get the idea
I remember that one. Didn't have anything to do with God, though

W
W
I think that if the phrase "Under God" is unconstitutional, then everything that pertains to government (Declaration of Independence, Emancipation Proclomation, Star-Spangled Banner, etc) should be found unconstitutional because it makes mention of God or a god. Either leave it alone or change EVERYTHING.

1998 Contour SVT E0 Silver Frost
#3623 of 6535 B-day:09/18/97
My CEG Profile
My Car's Website
My Photo Albulm
"Life is full of conflicts; it's the moments of peace that we must cherish"-Me
S
S
Hey, for those who don't like the words "In God We Trust" on money, just don't use it. Throw all those bills in your pocket away since it's so offensive. Or just give them to me.

Curtis
Dead 98 Black SVT
I think some of you are missing the point. Our founding fathers were VERY religious (as was the judge who issued the recent opinion). It is therefore very telling that the words God, Jesus, Church, Christ, Christian and Chrstianity do not appear ANYWHERE in the US Constitution. The word "religion" appears once - in the 1st Amendment.

Does anyone really disagree with what this Judge said below? Is this so radical?

"The American people as a whole have unalterably determined
that there shall be an absolute and unequivocal separation of
church and state, and that the public schools shall be maintained
and conducted free from influences in favor of any religious
organization, sect, creed or belief..."

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard