Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Quote:
V6 Altimas and Maximas are making 240 PLUS HP @ the flywheel and bumping the CENTURY MARK in the 1/4....

The SVT Contour was YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of Ford's poor decision making.

That car SHOULD HAVE USED an iteration of the 3.0 liter version of the "Duratech V6); it would have made 234 HP in a comparable state of tune (HP/liter) while having virtually NO EFFECT on vehicle weight/handling dynamics).

In fact, I CONSIDERED an SVT Contour when I bought the Z28, but couldn't get past the engine issue...
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105067&perpage=15&pagenumber=8

1998 SVT Contour E1, Black
2001 Honda SuperHawk VTR1000F
"I bent my Wookie"
www.mamisano.com
T
T
:rolleyes:

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
T
T
It wouldn't have been a bad idea. Usually SVT cars have significant engine upgrades over the base models. I mean, all the 1993-95 cobras had were some intake parts and a few other small things.

I'm not siding with the guy, but would the 3.0 really have hurt?

S
S
Typical "if it isn't an LS1, it sucks" stereotypical internet racer. I know a lot of cool LS1 owners, but some people just don't know how to appreciate speed in all of its forms. If it makes power and goes fast, then what does it matter which car company made it? Oh well, looks like BC is on the job already, anyways.

\'94 Cobra #4963/5009, black on black, not quite stock
Formerly owned a black '00 SVT, #1972
Join the SVTOA!
RIP - Ray "Old Fart Emeritus" McNairy
A
APT Offline
A
Well, that is easy to say now. The SVT Contour is a 1998 vehicle. How many vehicles were availible with 200Hp, stick, 4 doors for $23k then? The 240Hp Altima and 255Hp Maxima are 2003 models.

FWIW, the original 2.5L Duratec delivered from Porsche developed 250Hp N/A. Then Ford got their hands on it and marketing put their feet down. So, we end up with an average 170Hp standard. Enough to be fun, but hardly exceptional.

N
ngm Offline
N
With all due respect, but who cares what the LS1 owner or anyone else thinks about the SVTC or the other variations of the Contour/Mystique/Mondeo lines??? Speaking for myself, I bought my Contour because I enjoyed driving the entire package, not just to drive fast. While it may not be the fastest, or the best handling, or the most dependable car on the road, it did fit my budget and lifestyle, and I do enjoy working on the car and do enjoy driving it! If someone else wants to own an LS1 and has the funds to do so, then more power to him/her. Basically, it's to each his/her own!!! For someone else to throw negative comments just shows the insecurity and shallowness of that individual. Just my .02.

Nathan

'99 SE 2.5 w/mtx
-custom graphics & windshield banner
-badging removed; knauberized doors
-K&N filter w/ secondary 2 1/4" inlet to stock air box
-resonator removed; replaced with
straight pipe
-Ravin' muffler
-sail panels painted
-Cooper Cobra GTZ tires
(205/55/R15) on stock ES wheels
-custom chin spoiler
L
Lee Offline
L
You know I'm sure that with minimal effort a 3.0 can make that kind of power. So I don't really see why he's getting his panties in a wad. What does a 3.0 block cost these days? 1000,maybe 1700 for a brand new one?

Lee Cox
In life begins responsability...
Project Car
P
P
Hmm, last time I dyno'ed I put down 188 fwhp. 18% loss gave me ~230 crank hp. And that was quite a few mods (and unsolved problems) ago - I'm actually hoping to break 200 fwhp next time I dyno (which I hope is soon, $$$ allowing). Only 93 - 94 MPH traps - but that's pobably more driver skill than anything else.

And it has been stated that if Ford hadn't killed the Contour, SVT was going to put the 3L in the SVT from the factory, thus keeping up with the Jonses.

But instead, whoever that is went and bought himself a car that goes fast in a straight line very well. Good for him. He payed a premium for it (and he's still paying an insurance premium premium - pardon the pun) just so he can feel cool at every stop light. Joke's on him - I feel cool at the stop lights too, only because I enjoy my car and don't care what car is next to me.

Besides, I think one thing we all have in common is our enjoyment at modding a car (or just driving a stocker) that doesn't have 100 pages in Summit dedicated to parts for it. Any monkey can do that.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
J
J
I wonder if that guy ever drove a CSVT? If he did, he would know that the car is one of the best handling vehicles on the road with little to no mods (IMHO).

'99 Contour SE V6 w/MTX (Black Clearcoat)
'02 Dakota 4.7L V8 2WD X-Cab (Flame Red Clearcoat)
P
P
You seem suprised that some (notice I said some) LS1 owners are morons. Yeah maybe his crapmaro puts down more power than any contour to date, although considering it handles like a Winabago and has the cargo room of a miata (if that), we can just let him rest in the superiority of his car :rolleyes:

Every time I come online I wonder if the forums will be up
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard