Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#326184 05/31/02 02:16 AM
N
OP Offline
N
had some time to kill today while in town and decided to take a look at the new Tiburon, since I've read some good performance numbers for it. I ended up taking a black, loaded GT, with the V6 and 6 speed for a ride with the sales manager. I was somewhat surprised at how nice it was. I found the seats to be quite comfortable and supportive, I especially liked the fact that they have shoulder bolsters. The car I drove had leather and I didn't slide around one bit, though in all honesty and fairness I didn't exactly get to take it down any nice twisties. As far as power goes.....it's decently quick, but didn't feel quite as quick as my 99 SE, could be slower or could just be the fact that it was really queit inside the car, with little road noise or sound coming from the engine. The shifter is ok, a little rubbery feeling, but i only needed the first 3 gears or so to hit 60, and I found myself getting lost in the gears, forgetting which one I was in. The clutch was really soft and took some getting used to and this is the first car I've driven that made my clutch feel stiff when I got back in. All in all, it seems to be a decent car, especially for under 20K. I didn't catch the price on the one I drove, but the 2 GT 5 speeds there were just under 18,000. Most of my driving was on city streets in mid day traffic though with only a short stint outside of town, and that was even on a long straight stretch of road with moderate traffic.

~Shawn Clone~

1999 SE Sport V6 MTX
Silver frost/Midnight Blue
BAT Euro Handling kit, SCA Cold Air intake, painted dash/calipers, Elky's mesh grille, bulitt fuel door,B&M shifter, ES motor mount inserts, OMP front strut tower brace, newest mod- HPP rear strut tower brace ...coming soon, Aussie Bar
Possabilities in the works: Custom CAI, Polished stainless shifter cover plate
V
V
Interesting. Definitely an improvement over the last one. Sat in one at an auto show and liked what they did with the interior.

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
i only needed the first 3 gears or so to hit 60
Most "performance" cars with 5 speeds will hit the 60mph range at the top of second gear. There was a study done that concluded this I read a few months back.

98 E0 Silver SVT
KKM - Bassani - MSDS - BAT - ES - Unorthodox - HID - Dyna-batt - Koni - Ground Control - 17" MAS Italy Rodger - Quaife - Fidanza

"Every easy girl I have been with has been either a hosebeast or a headcase" - Pete D
P
P
I thought it was a 6 speed?

98 MTX V6 SE Sport
KKM
Mangnaflow muffler and res.
L
L
Quote:
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
with the V6 and 6 speed

STD's are like Pokemon...
Gotta catch em' all!
P
P
Damn thing does not NEED a 6 speed. My TDI would make better use of a 6 speed than a Tiberon!

P. Valdez

1998 VW Jetta TDI
1.9L I4 direct injection turbo diesel
5 speed manual
no mods, no money

AIM:PackRatTDI

My exhaust smells better than yours.
T
T
The highest model of the Tiburon does have a 6 speed. The V6 comes with either 5 speed or 6 but I think the 6 speed model comes with nicer wheels and more stuff.

R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Torquemonster:
The highest model of the Tiburon does have a 6 speed. The V6 comes with either 5 speed or 6 but I think the 6 speed model comes with nicer wheels and more stuff.
The GT is a 6 spd I believe and the model below it is the 5 spd- but they are both V 6's atleast I think I havent been to the dealership in a while confused

~!Rach!~
2002 emerald green Protege ES
dont hate b/c im a troll Im a 'tour girl at heart!!

Link Copied to Clipboard