Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#301303 08/02/02 09:57 PM
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Kennard:
Before you all spend $300 on an e-ram, look into the 240 cfm bilge blowers on E-Bay, they are the same thing in essence, for $20-$30. The E-Bay guys are calling them electric superchargers too, but they are nothing but bilge blowers from the marine industry.
B.S. The 750 CFM Eram barely makes half of a psi. 240 CFM is less than your engine can ingest on it's own = a restriction in the intake.

DDavis, the Eram makes posative boost over the entire rev range because it's CFM output is greater than the max consumption effort of the engine alone. At anything other than WOT, the Eram is a restriction, but it does make power at WOT, even at higher RPM. Dyno proven 9 HP at peak on my V6 SE, think you 4 pot pulls more CFM then that?

Brad Noon
'99 SE MTX
3 point oh my God H.O. 179HP/178TQ
BNMotorsports Floormats, powder coating, TB optimizing, Gutted cats, etc
BNMotorsports is now the preferred distributor of Contour/SVT/Mystique Indiglo style gauges!!!
bnmotorsports@msn.com
#301304 08/02/02 10:04 PM
D
D
Dunno, you did "optimize" the TB, remember? laugh

Point taken.

125.2 FWHP - 126.5 FWTQ
SVT exhaust (#4 of 9) - B&M FPR - Custom CAI - bnoon optimized TB #1 & 2 (beat that!!)
Black '98.5 SE Zetec MTX
Best quote seen in a chat - "Jinx 12345678910 you owe me a naked picture of yourself!"
#301305 08/03/02 04:35 AM
R
OP Offline
R
They claim it adds another half psi if used with the K&N open air filter. So it's just an added 1/2 psi with an aftermarket intake. I am guessing the zetec requires, at most, 250 CFM at high rpm.. So the e-ram boost psi by 1/2 and raises cfm to 750, while a CAI is pulling more than 250 CFM, the e-ram is a restriction, as long as you are flooring it, and be honest, when do you not floor it???, They also bring the fact of the fan shape that it doesn't restrict by more than 1 hp, even saying it MAY give 1hp(bs), but still, it's not a major restriction and it does its job... I think I still want one. They are proven to work, and if one is good, two must be better...right?

"Wow, that sank fast." "Yeah, like a rock."
96 Contour GL ATX
9mm Ford Racing Wires; 2 Resonators down, 1 to go;"Special airbox"; many mods planned
Sony CD player: 50wattsx4;remote;
Speakers=50 watt Pioneer 6x8s
Ross Evans smile
#301306 08/03/02 04:54 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Exact words from e-ram on restriction:
No, because of its axial blade design, it is not a factor at the flow rates under part throttle condition. Many people have seen actual HP gains by just putting a static version of the eRAM in line with the intake system claiming better atomization of fuel and air. We have not verified these gains, but if they are real, the eRAM should be an order of magnitude more effective in HP gains and equal in gas mileage efficiency gains that the static swirling devices. We have dyno'ed the eRAM off at full throttle and measured inconclusive losses (i.e. +/-1 hp changes)

"Wow, that sank fast." "Yeah, like a rock."
96 Contour GL ATX
9mm Ford Racing Wires; 2 Resonators down, 1 to go;"Special airbox"; many mods planned
Sony CD player: 50wattsx4;remote;
Speakers=50 watt Pioneer 6x8s
Ross Evans smile
#301307 08/03/02 05:51 AM
L
L
I still can think of better things to spend $300 on. :rolleyes:

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
#301308 08/03/02 02:40 PM
G
G
I would not waste my time/money with it.

I would put the $300 to improving your exhaust. A 2 1/4" system complete with headers, hi-flo cat, resonator, and muffler is going to cost some bucks...

#301309 08/04/02 01:59 PM
A
A
I'm not sure but I think you need to rig it to only come on at WOT. That is the only time it would make since to have it on anyway. As far as 2 of them, the only way it would benefit you is if the 1st one wasn't actually getting to it's max rpms and I don't see why it wouldn't. If it was, then the 2nd one is not going to make the 1st fan turn faster, it's already as fast as it goes.
If you had 2 that were different sizes and the small one kicked in 1st, you'd get small boost then bigger boost, but let's face it, why not go straight to the big. :rolleyes: And you'd have to have 2 sizes of intake pipes to have 2 sizes of eRams that somehow fit together and made sense.

I'd use one eram and then put the rest toward an exhaust. At least do part of it. You don't necesarily need to go all the way to the headers, but you could start at the back and work your way there eventually.

99 SE Zetec ATX
CTA intake
ZX2 FMS wires(that don't fit my oddball coil)
andenthal@mindspring.com
#301310 08/06/02 02:16 AM
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Redcon96I4:
So, anybody know if I could effectively use 2 e-rams (super e-ram) in DDavis's intake?
You'll get a good deal less boost from the second one than from the first, and therefore a poorer HP/$ ratio. If you want more than an e-ram's worth of boost it's probably time to start looking for a more serious blower... like get a real fan such as is used in a turbocharger and find some way to attach a 5 HP or so motor to it (which will draw over 300 amps, youch), or spend the big bucks on a true supercharger or turbocharger.

96 GL Zetec ATX, white with pinstripe, nickname " Sam Smooth "
mods so far: CTA intake with homemade heat shield, KVR drilled front rotors & carbon pads w/ 500° fluid
planned mods: exhaust (want to keep it quiet), e-ram (awaiting installation), diablo chip
involuntary mods: compression increased after head gasket failure
#301311 08/06/02 02:17 AM
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Fastzetec2.0:
If you ad Y you will get twice the air folw and twice the pressure (pressure+more air=more hp).
The Y pipe won't give you higher pressure, just the same pressure up to a higher RPM before it starts to drop off.

mods so far: CTA intake with homemade heat shield, KVR drilled front rotors & carbon pads w/ 500° fluid
planned mods: exhaust (want to keep it quiet), e-ram (awaiting installation), diablo chip
#301312 08/06/02 02:22 AM
P
P
Quote:
Originally posted by D Davis:
With the CAI, I think you'd be pulling more air w/out the e-ram than with. It looks to me like that thing is quite a spacehog inside that pipe. Also, if the air velocity in the CAI is xx and the maximum air velocity the e-ram can generate (yy) is less than xx, all you're doing is lowering air velocity and lowering total air volume.
I think you underestimate the e-RAM. The amount of air it will move through an open-ended pipe is around three times the Zetec's maximum consumption. If there were a way to fit it into your intake, I bet it would give you gains.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard