Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Hi,
I live in WI and for the last couple of weeks it has been very hot. I installed my intake a little over a month ago. It ran pretty well but then I ran into problems. If I stomp on the gas from a stop, it bogs down to the point of dying(but doesn't actually die). I thought that it could be a drity MAF so I decided to clean it tonight. When I went to remove the MAF it was extrememly hot even after sitting of an hour. I cleaned it but there wasn't much improvement. I am thinking about doing the IAT mod and seeing if it helps.

BUT here is another problem... When I start my car, after sitting overnight in an underground garage, it tries to die right after starting it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben

::EDIT:: I have quadruple checked the intake for leaks! I also have new injectors, EGR, IAT, IAC, and fuel filter.

96 Contour GL (2.0L Zetec, ATX)

Sony CDX-C780 HU, Sony CDX-805 10 disc Changer, Sony XDP-210EQ, RF Punch 100.2 Amp, RF Punch 240.4 Amp, Dual 12'' Punch subs, Four Infinity Kappa 693.3i 6x9's, Optima Yellow Top

CTA Intake, Hood Struts, EL Ford Logo, Hi Beam/Low Beam Mod, Blue LEDs in door handles and footwells
L
L
What did you clean the MAF with?

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
R
R
I don't have any experience with the intake, but
Quote:
BUT here is another problem... When I start my car, after sitting overnight in an underground garage, it tries to die right after starting it.
I had the same problem, untill I changed my fuel injectors. No more stalling at start up. Actually, now that I think about it my car hesitated wicked untill I cahnged them as well... Might not be your problem, but it's something to think about....

1996 Mercury Mystique
2.0L, I-4, Zetec, ATX
No mods, yet.
E
E
My car had a hesitation issue when it was cold too. Also had part of the problem you are explaining as heatsoak. It happened twice. First thing was the valve cover gasket had sprung a leak and had filled up the area aroung plug #1 with hot oil. That was causing the spark to get free. The other one was bad plug wires. After both of those left, the problem pretty much went away! laugh

I do know I have a small heatsoak issue though. Going on what you were explaining with the heat, I have it too, but I have a hollowed airbox! eek

· Jon Miconi

· 96 Contour Zetec ATX
· 80 Ramcharger 360 ATX
· 77 Ramcharger 440 ATX
D
D
I have a stumbling issue w/ mine as well. I'm going to cheat though and take it in under warranty to have it checked (after I make it stock again smile ). Mine started before I ever touched the intake, so I can rule that out. I've somewhat concluded it's either injectors or weak spark from the coil. I'll update you if it's fixed. It may help you pinpoint the problem.

125.2 FWHP - 126.5 FWTQ
SVT exhaust (#4 of 9) - B&M FPR - Custom CAI - bnoon optimized TB #1 & 2 (beat that!!)
Black '98.5 SE Zetec MTX
Best quote seen in a chat - "Jinx 12345678910 you owe me a naked picture of yourself!"
B
OP Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
First thing was the valve cover gasket had sprung a leak and had filled up the area aroung plug #1 with hot oil.
Thanks for reminding me! When I changed my plugs, I noticed some oil. That was in the fall. I completely forgot about it. That is probably my problem. I'll check it tomorrow.

I am still thinking about isolating the IAT (no metal to metal contact). And trying the IAT mod.

Thanks everyone!

BTW, it's good to see that this forum is still running. I wonder what will happen at midnight...may have to retreat to the FCO.

Later,
BP

>>EDIT<< D Davis, tell me what they find!

Sony CDX-C780 HU, Sony CDX-805 10 disc Changer, Sony XDP-210EQ, RF Punch 100.2 Amp, RF Punch 240.4 Amp, Dual 12'' Punch subs, Four Infinity Kappa 693.3i 6x9's, Optima Yellow Top

CTA Intake, Hood Struts, EL Ford Logo, Hi Beam/Low Beam Mod, Blue LEDs in door handles and footwells
B
OP Offline
B
Just ran downstairs and did a quick check. There was oil residue around plugs 1, 3, and 4. In the fall there was oil sitting around plug #4 (or is it #1? The plug on the left.) Either way, I need to get a new valve cover gasket.

I don't have an extension for my ratchet so I can't check to see how tight that they are. I'll have to check it tomorrow.

BP

L
L
Am I the only one that hasn't had this problem? confused

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
Z
Z
Quote:
Originally posted by LoCo:
Am I the only one that hasn't had this problem? confused
NOPE I don't either and it has been hot here too...

Joe Hartley
"yes I know it's a MTX Zetec but it beats having a ATX Duratec"

Champagne 96 GL MTX some mods
dynoed at 114.2whp and 124.4wtq (pre CTA intake)
16.858 @ 80.76mph (yes it's slow but still faster than D Davis)
AIM: ZetecRacing
My Site My Profile

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard