Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#301240 07/31/02 03:38 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Just picked up my new(to me) 96 GL atx zetec tonight. Nice car, I've been enjoying some of the features my SVT doesn't have. Dash clock, ect.

Anyways, where does the temp guage needle sit in your cars. On mine it reads below the 'normal' area on the cold side. On my SVT it sits right in the middle. Just not sure if all Zetecs read that low, or do I have a prob with the temp sensor? Dont want the thing to run hot and I not know it. eek thanks in advance.

-neal

99 SVT...modified
96 GL....the beater
"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 14 to 15 seconds, 16 if I get tire spin, or get a bad jump, or possibly if I have a friend in the car, I'm free."
K
Kai Offline
K
Most Zetec's run pretty hot, so this is strange. I just had my temp sensor replaced, and now it hangs around the "a" a lot. Before, it was more around the "o", making me wonder how accurate it was before. See what the other guys say, but personally I'd have it checked. smile

Kendall
'97 GL Zetec ATX
" Nippy "
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by a_svt_what???:
Just picked up my new(to me) 96 GL atx zetec tonight. Nice car, I've been enjoying some of the features my SVT doesn't have. Dash clock, ect.

Anyways, where does the temp guage needle sit in your cars. On mine it reads below the 'normal' area on the cold side. On my SVT it sits right in the middle. Just not sure if all Zetecs read that low, or do I have a prob with the temp sensor? Dont want the thing to run hot and I not know it. eek thanks in advance.

-neal
Your gauge is whack. Rev your engine up in park and if it doesn't move up to atleast the middle, than you need a new gauge or sensor. Just in case you might want to drain/flush/change your coolant unless you're gonna get the gauge fixed soon. Like I've always said, the 96 GL ATX zetecs are much better than the SVTs. :p :p

"Wow, that sank fast." "Yeah, like a rock."
96 Contour GL ATX
9mm Ford Racing Wires; 2 Resonators down, 1 to go;"Special airbox"; many mods planned
Sony CD player: 50wattsx4;remote;
Speakers=50 watt Pioneer 6x8s
Ross Evans smile
J
J
Dont forget to check the Thermostat if it sticks open your car would show a very low temp.

L
L
New gauge from Ford: about $30. wink

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
A
OP Offline
A
cool, thanks for the help guys. I figured something must have been out of whack. I really do love this car! I would've prefered an MTX but I had to take what I found. The Zetecs aren't as slow as some say they are. I think it's got pretty good pickup. Defiantly enough to easily pass on 2-lane roads. The interior has much fewer squeaks and rattles than my SVT. I think my SVT rides rough b/c of suspension and wheels though. It is weird not having a tach though, thats was the first thing I noticed when I got in. It just looks naked. wink Thanks for your help!

-neal

99 SVT...modified
96 GL....the beater
"I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 14 to 15 seconds, 16 if I get tire spin, or get a bad jump, or possibly if I have a friend in the car, I'm free."
S
S
Quote:
Like I've always said, the 96 GL ATX zetecs are much better than the SVTs.
Like he said... wink

"I'm here for a good time, not a long time."

'96 GL Zetec ATX
Bucketloads of miles
D
D
I sense bias from some of our owners (not that I blame ya wink ).

Neal, after taking it for a drive, I'd let it idle for a few minutes and see if it climbs. Mine always gets hot at idle and you should hear the secondary fan kick in after a few minutes.

125.2 FWHP - 126.5 FWTQ
SVT exhaust (#4 of 9) - B&M FPR - Custom CAI - bnoon optimized TB #1 & 2 (beat that!!)
Black '98.5 SE Zetec MTX
Best quote seen in a chat - "Jinx 12345678910 you owe me a naked picture of yourself!"
A
OP Offline
A
yeh, I sense a little bias too :p

In some ways though my GL is better than my SVT. Squeaks and rattles, dash clock, fuel door release button, light in glove bog. Its got just over 103K on the clock and runs like a champ. I think I'd have to take my SVT over the GL though if I could only have one. wink

Thanks for tip D Davis, I'll give that a try when I go to lunch today.

-neal

99 SVT...modified
96 GL....the beater
D
D
I've had two different gauges in mine...the original cluster, and my new one out of a Mystique. They both have always read around the "O" range...never more than "R", and never less than "N".

Andrew Morris
\'99 SE Zetec ATX
All of life's big problems include the words "indictment" or "inoperable." Everything else is small stuff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard