Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#300939 07/22/02 12:53 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I've checked with my NE-CEG companions, but, they all seem to be running SVT's, and I need someone who knows the Zetec to lend some advice...

Ok... for the last month or two, my RPM's are dropping through the floor at idle. I don't have a tach, but, I can feel the engine surging. It idles stupidly rough, it tends to stall out, and, if I'm driving it, I have to put it in neutral at stops, or suffer a stall. It's noticeably worse on a hill, esp. going up hill in reverse. There is an occasional CEL.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

J

95 2.0L ATX GL

ummm... nothing else, really...
#300940 07/22/02 01:33 PM
J
J
Fuel filter? Not really sure, but thought I'd throw that out there.

1997 Contour GL Sport ATX
Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-204)
Fram Sure Drain System
Ford Motorsport 9mm Racing Wires
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Kenwood in-dash CD player
Infinity 5752cf speakers
World Champion New England Patriots Fan for Life!

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-210)
#300941 07/22/02 03:48 PM
E
E
Go to AutoZone(if ya have one out there) and have them run a diagnostic check to get the CEL. Then report back to us.

Have you replaced your plugs and wires yet?

'95 Contour GL, zetec mtx, drop in K&N, exhaust res removed, 4 10" Kenwoods powered by 1000W Visonik amp, 4 5"x7"/6"x8" Visoniks

"Buy American or apply for Japanese welfare."

www.geocities.com/fordcontour05/contour.html
#300942 07/22/02 04:03 PM
O
O
IAC and PCV Valves, are a good place too start for poor idle.

Ohsigmachi '96 GL MTX Zetec SS (SuperSleeper)
Suffice it to say my mod list has become so long that it is just ridiculous
#300943 07/22/02 11:02 PM
P
P
Dirty MAF is one of the more common causes of idle trouble.

96 GL Zetec ATX, white with pinstripe, nickname " Sam Smooth "
mods so far: CTA intake with homemade heat shield, KVR drilled front rotors & carbon pads w/ 500° fluid
planned mods: exhaust (want to keep it quiet), e-ram (awaiting installation), diablo chip
involuntary mods: compression increased after head gasket failure
#300944 07/26/02 10:06 AM
E
E
Dirty MAF and fuel filter would be (and were) my first things to look at. Though it could be a few things. The CEL is leading me more to an O2 sensor, but a MAF or IAT problem will throw it as well. When my IAT was disconnected (playing with the intake, forgot to hook it back up) the car ran fine till it got warm. It started surging, then I got a *blinking* CEL. A leak in the intake, after the MAF will also give you idle problems. A vacuum leak will make it run poorly, especially if its a large leak. Old worn out plugs and wires will cause problems, but I noticed more of a fuel mileage issue. Last but not least, your cams may be lined up incorrectly. That can be caused by a worn tensioner that allows the belt to jump a tooth.

I checked each and every one of those when my car had its issue through June and part of this month. I kept ruling out my (new in Jan) MSD wires. I cleaned the connections for my coil, IAT and MAF. I also cleaned the MAF, and double checked the plugs. Everything was checking out fine, but the car still ran like crap. Just out of curiousity and boredom, I pulled the valve cover, found my cams were not lined up, and fixed that (stupid mechanic!). It still ran like crap, but like smooth crap. smile The plug wires were showing no resistance. For ****s and giggles, I talked to the guy at the parts store and he let me try a different set of stock replacement wires. It now idles so smoothly, you can't even hear it, and that is with a Flowmaster attemting to quiet the exhaust!

...that was a long reply. :p

· Jon Miconi

· 96 Contour Zetec ATX
· 80 Ramcharger 360 ATX
· 77 Ramcharger 440 ATX

Moderated by  Lance Kinley_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard