Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#283563 03/12/02 03:03 PM
B
OP Offline
B
It's time to get tires once again, will be 3rd set in 50k miles, and decided on ASA IS6 wheels to go along with the new rubber. From what I understand they'll mount and balance the tires. Does anything else need to be done or can they just be put on right away?

A
APT Offline
A
Just make sure to tell them to mount and balance whne you order and they'll come shipped, ready to bolt on.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks APT.

R
R
1. Remove the rotor retaining nuts (look like little lock-washers on your studs).

2. Get a torque wrench.

3. Torque the wheel lugs with the wheel off the ground or just barely touching. I use 62 ft-lbs, per the Haynes manual, but I think Ford issued some kind of tech update. I'm not sure what the new spec is, something like 80? Anyway, this will maximize your chances of centering a lug-centric wheel properly, and avoiding that annoying wheel oscillation at highway speeds.

"Function before fashion."

'96 Contour SE
E
E
Just order my tire/wheel combo from TireRack as well. ASA K3 w/ Potenza S03's. Mounted and balanced, ready to go.

The 62lb/ft torque spec was for the OEM rims. I called TireRack about the torque spec on my rims and they said between 85-100lb/ft. That sounded very vague, so I may need to call back and get a definite number.

Other than that, depending on the size of the rims, you'll need to make sure that once your wheels are mounted up that BEFORE driving on them, check your "turn-in" Go lock to lock on the wheels and see if they rub inside the wheel wells. Your rims should be OK though, as they are the same size as mine. But you didn't mention your tire size. That's why you need to check this first. TireRack will take the wheels back if they rub, but ONLY if they haven't been driven on.

I love my Contour to death, but my 'vette is still my #1 baby.
There's money to be made in racing. I should know. I put a lot of it there.
You can make a small fortune in racing. Start with a large one.
How fast do you want to go...how much money do you have?
You can fix a lot of things, but you can't fix stupid!
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by RogerB:
[QB]1. Remove the rotor retaining nuts (look like little lock-washers on your studs).
I thought it was highly recommended to maintain these, and if they were missing it could lead to vibration and balance problems. Anyone know for sure?

Tropic Green '00 SVT
#665 of 2150
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by CueballSVT:
Quote:
Originally posted by RogerB:
[QB]1. Remove the rotor retaining nuts (look like little lock-washers on your studs).
I thought it was highly recommended to maintain these, and if they were missing it could lead to vibration and balance problems. Anyone know for sure?
Your factory wheels have recesses to accomodate these little retainers. Many aftermarket wheels don't.

Don't worry, your rotors will not fall off without them. They are just there to aid in a quick assembly of the car.

TB

Tony Boner
Personal: 98cdw27@charter.net Work: tony.boner@sun.com
Saving the computer world from WinBloze as Unix/Solaris/Java Guru http://www.sun.com
1998 Contour SVT Pre-E1 618/6535 Born On Date: 4/30/1997
Now with Aussie Bar induced mild oversteer.
E
E
I just got my tires tonight from Tirerack. It comes with a very helpful instruction booklet. All your questions (just about) will be answered. The only thing I didn't see right away, and am still going to check on, is the torque specs on the rim. The tirerack guy said between 85-100ft/lbs, but that's only on steel rims. The ASA's are cast aluminum, which would bring it back to around 62-65ft/lbs for the contour. I'll stick with the OEM 62ft/lbs for now. 85-100 and you run the risk of cracking the the rim.

I love my Contour to death, but my 'vette is still my #1 baby.
There's money to be made in racing. I should know. I put a lot of it there.
You can make a small fortune in racing. Start with a large one.
How fast do you want to go...how much money do you have?
You can fix a lot of things, but you can't fix stupid!
S
S
Bill 97SE:

I got the same ASA wheels from tire rack 2 months ago. You're gonna like 'em!

I got the 17 x 7.5 with Sumotomo 215-45-17 tires.

The wheels come with a hub centric ring, use them, they're already installed. I did not remove the rotor retaining nuts, maybe I should have. Balance seems to be perfect.

L
L
Tire Rack will mount, balance and perform a load varition test (to ensure vibration free operation) on your wheel and tire package at no additional charge. We also will include all of the needed lughardware at no charge.
We also only use adhesive weights placed on the inside of your wheels to protect the finish (no clip on weights are used on the lip of all aluminum wheels)

When they arrive ... bolt them on (85ft. lbs. for aluminum wheels) check the air pressure and drive away.

Always remember to re-torque your aluminum wheels after a couple hundred miles.

Luke

Luke Pavlick
Sales Representative
ASE Certified Master Tech
For more info on any post
or to place an order please
call 800-428-8355 ext. 362
for on-line orders mention
my name in the previous
contact field for prompt
personal service.
www.tirerack.com