Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SVTCole Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have a continuing interest in Detroit events because many of its drivers do well at National events and there are lots and lots of SVT Contours running.

The Mark had an accident on his way to the last Detroit event but apparently they fixed the damage well enough for him to kick butt, yet again.

Although there were only three cars in open G Stock, his winning time there would have also won the G Stock street tire class with noteable drivers like national contender Steve Baumbach (18th at 2001 Nationals 99 Neon ACR)and Keith Knudsen in the SVT Focus. I'm wagering that Baumbach had Falken Azenis which aren't that far off Victoracers.

The Mark is closing in on Steve Couture (6th 2001 Nationals)and Larry MacLeod (20th 2001 Nationals) who ran pro class, so look for a good showing at Peru, later this month.

Other SVT Contour drivers continue to improve with Grzesiak leading the pack, and L8ApexAussie and Mortensen close behind. On street tires Lundberg and Knipe are neck and neck and BEAT a SVT Focus!!!!

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
L
L
awesome!
I still need to make it to a local Autox....

STD's are like Pokemon...
Gotta catch em' all!
T
T
Heyas,

Thanks for the pat on the back, Cole smile I had been meaning to post on this for a while because there was a nifty little twist to this story not found on the timesheets.

The course design was really not suited to our cars. It was predominately a horsepower track. The worst bit about it was the start. You took off, and then five feet later took a 90 degree turn to the right, five feet later you trip the timer. That spells disater for me. Wheel-spin-o-rama. I saw it coming a mile away, and was spot on in my assumption.

What I did was, well, underhanded, but entirely legal. There was a small gap in the cones on the left as you launched. So I waited until my last run, and staged waaay to the right, pointed all goofy-like at the wrong side of the track. The started waved me on with a confused look, which I can only imagine went to dumbstruck as I motored (very slowly) past him and off the course. I then circled back and entered the course through the same gate, and tripped the lights at a nice clip and with no wheelspin smile

In all honesty, I don't think it gleaned me much for a couple of reasons. The area outside the course was dusty and trashy, and I know my warm Kuhmos picked up a pound of rocks. Also, the trip back on course wasn't a straight shot, so I couldn't rocket through there. Plus it was a real tight squeeze, and it was a little bit of a turn. I couldn't believe I made the turn actually, because when I cranked the wheel, the car pushed like a pig (right towards the timing cones - butt-puckering, I tell ya). It finally grabbed and I made it okay, but I wasn't going all that much faster than a good launch. It was good for at least a tenth or so (which, iirc, was what I beat Baumbach by). wink

Steve Baumbach was two cars back when I did this on my last run, and he told me afterwards that he seriously considered doing the same thing. He opted not to, so, well, hey, clean win. Steve did give me a good pat on the back for thinking of it.

The car is back, yes, and structurally sound. In fact, after I had it realigned, it actually coners better, so i am happy. The cosmetics on it suq, though. I haven't signed for it, and I have yet to take it back to them to have them fix darn near everything they touched. A slip-shod job, and I am appalled. I pitched a fit, and it'll get fixed, I am sure, but I was sure disappionted in their initial effort.

The Mark
#464 of 6535
A Few GS-ish mods
S
SVTCole Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Quote:
Originally posted by TheMark:
Heyas,

In fact, after I had it realigned, it actually coners better, so i am happy.
CONERS...spoken like a true autocrosser, after all, we are obsessed with the little devils. Hope they fix your car right.

Fastest Contour at SZ 2002 Auto-X. 10th in PAX out of 125. CEO of FOGEY(Fast Old Guys Emasculating Young-uns), Inc. Terry Haines, Chairman, Senior V.P.s: (alphabetical)JavaContour, Jet Mech, MFE, SeicoRacing, SVTSTS, Vern Kilburn. If your not a member, yet, wait a few years. I'm not just the CEO, but I'm a member, too. Working with the rank and file to get the job done right!

Historical:
63 TVR (1K in 74), 75 TR-7 (paid cash new), 79 RX-7 (zoom,zoom), 81 RX-7GSL (autobahn-driven),82 Mustang GT (autobahn-driven), 85 Mustang GT (SE Division F Stock Solo II Champ), 86 MR-2 (3rd SE Division D Stock), 88 Civic DX (had 1st born and still owned MR2) 92 Sentra SE-R (all go and no show), 98 EO SVT Contour (FTD SZ 2002). 02 Altima 3.5SE 5 spd!!!
S
S
And he continues to win...

He was nice enough to let me ride with him on his 3rd run at a NW Indiana event on Sunday. He took first ahead of me (another SVT) and a Neon with race tires.

Though I think he might have found his next set of wheels to race... I'll let him fill you in on the details.

Anyway, thanks Mark for a great day of racing. Hopefully we can meet up again and continue to show people what the Contour can do.

Neal

-1999 silver SVT #1405
stock, as in GStock
-1996 SE 5speed
M
M
When's the next Detroit area event?

-Kurt

"I'm a little sceptical of that internet thing. After all, what's it got besides information?"
-DB, 1/97
A
APT Offline
A
Congrats, Mark! Great times.

I know that Baumbach guy. Went to school with him and still (try to) keep in touch. He just offered to let me drive his car at one of the events if I needs to vent some frustration (some family issues). I remember riding with him at autocrosses then and he was not a smooth driver. Quick considering his Geo Prizm car, but not smooth. I hear he has been improving greatly. Great guy, great racer.

Man I miss racing. I need to get my E-stock car out there and have some fun. But it is very beat up and I think not competitive on higher speed courses.

Next event is July 28th.

http://www.detroit-scca.org/news/solo_events.asp?event=5

A
APT Offline
A
Steve Baumbach is on Falken Azenis tires in 195/60R14. His car was not aligned well at that event and should have 2.5 degees of negative camber for the next one. Hopes to improve index time by a couple tenths.

T
T
I was wondering how I got so close to his times. *grin* fwiw, I was on year and a half old Kuhmos that I had driven as my street tires the previous summer. My car is now shod with new Kuhmos that have a few events under their belt. I hope to be faster by a few tenths, too. laugh I hate being beaten by people with street tires. It only reaffirms my notion that I can't drive worth a $hit. If I can get with a second of Couture, I will be pleased. After driving his car at the event in Milwaukee while my baby was recovering from the deer impact, I know understand why those ACR Neons are so flippin' fast.

The Mark
#464 of 6535
A Few GS-ish mods
J
J
Mark's good. He beat me in my own car here a few months ago. :-) Sorry to hear your car got wrecked.

I still have a care package to send you. Been very busy here...

--
'98 SVT #2371, silver, keeping it in GS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard