Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#271682 06/29/02 02:15 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I'm looking for some great alignment settings
for autocross.. I'm heading out to Peru Next week, and want to have a good setup as alignment isn't something I've played a whole lot with just yet.
If anyone has some numbers they'd like to share, let me know
Thanks
eric

99 Cougar V6 Tourmaline Green: MTX, KKM, Borla Dual...
#271683 06/29/02 04:02 AM
T
T
Eric,

From reading your post on the Koni's earlier today, I get the impression that our cars are a bit different in the way they handle. My strut settings are almost completely opposite yours. I run full firm in the front, and almost full soft in the back, and use tire pressures to modulate car rotation from there based on surface grip, heat, etc. However, I will give you the current alignment I am using at the moment.

It cost me a case of beer, but I talked my alignment guys into giving me a shade of toe-out in the front, and a shade of toe-in in the rear. I also am running one degree of negative camber in the front. Admittedly, this makes the car a bit squirrelly on the street, but the improvements in transitions and turn-in on the autocross course are a vast improvment, so I deal with the funky streetability.

I will be at the Test & Tune on the 4th, and you are welcome to take my car through the cones if you'd like. I will say that I still consider myself a novice at this, so any and all input is welcome. This setup does seem to work well for me and my herky-jerky driving style wink

For what it is worth, I feel that the biggest improvment was as the result of the negative camber. The car seems more planted in the steady-state turns than it did previously. From talking with the Neon ACR guys, the sweet spot seems to be about two and a half degrees, but I was only able to bribe one degree out of my guys. smile

See ya in Peru.

The Mark
#464 of 6535
A Few GS-ish mods
#271684 06/29/02 04:36 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Mark, Yeah I think the Contours are a little heavier in the rear, although I could be wrong, 2 more doors and such. I only have 4 events or so on the koni's but I took from information gathered on the web regarding spring rates oversteer/understeer. In the most general way says if you stiffen it up front will encourage understeer, and if you stiffen the rear will encourage oversteer.. Of course I run about 38lbs in the rear and about 40 even up front, on my victoracers.. Perhaps I'm just screwed up.. I'm comfortable now.. and thats what matters, but what I was hoping to gain was a little bit more.. more what.. who knows... I had an alignment last year and I felt that it was to my disadvantage.. perhaps no alignment is necessary..now I'm second guessing myself... hehe.. oh well...wow what a convoluted post...

BTW I'm not going to be there Thursday morning, I'll be rolling in around 2-3pm on the 4th, and running on fridays test n tune...unless thats the one you are referring to.

Eric

(note to self, keep inner dialog to a minimum)

#271685 06/29/02 04:43 AM
T
T
Eric,

The information I have is that the Test & Tune is on Thursday the 4th... I can forward you the emails from Roger Johnson if you like. I don't know if anything is being held on Friday the 5th... Though I will be there, as I don't particularly feel like driving back to GR on Thurday night.

And yeah, that was a convoluted post :p
(But I know what you mean) smile

The Mark
#464 of 6535
A Few GS-ish mods
#271686 06/29/02 05:24 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Mark here is the Link from the national page.

http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nat_tour/2002/peru/index.html

There might be an additional TnT on thursday
but not one I'll be able to attend.

So far the weather looks good smile
Bring your suntan lotion.

Moderated by  Auto-X Fil 

Link Copied to Clipboard