Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#251726 06/15/02 08:06 PM
S
S
Don't be surprised if you have to replace your wheel bearings in a little while because they took quite a bit of abuse when you hammered away at the rotors for a while. The bearing is a double ball bearing set-up, not like the old roller bearings of older vehicles. They can't take the beating like the older ones since they have less surface area contact with the races. The balls have more of a point contact on the races than a line contact like the older roller bearings. Therefore, they will tend to make small indentations in the races or flat spots on the balls, however slight, and will eventually begin to make noise, especially when going around curves on ramps and highways. I had to replace the bearing (after a few months) on the side I beat on and the other one is fine because I didn't put a beating on it. Remember the beating you put on those rotors when you have to replace the wheel bearings because that's why you are doing it. PURE BEARING ABUSE! mad

Ray
New Brunswick,CANADA
99 SE Sport ; T-Red ; 2-tone Gray Interior ;
Zetec ; ATX ; 885 fogs ; [ no ABS smile ]
65w 9005 ; 55w 9006 ; my headlight fix (aim beams separately)
#251727 06/16/02 02:15 AM
S
S
I took my rotors off a month ago and found that hitting them did not release them then I tried a pry bar behind the rotor and knuckle and they came off easy and no damage. Long pry bar provides lots of leverage.

#251728 06/16/02 10:23 AM
M
Online Content
M
Propane torch....heat 'em up and wail on them too. Took me and a friend 9 hours to do my brakes recently due to the fact we couldn't get the old discs off.

Good luck.

'98 Mystique LS V6 MTX

"Unprofessional driver, wide open course."
#9 - Hitting .400 for ever
"Wake up the damn Bambino; I'll drill him in the ass." -- Pedro Martinez
"The MTX75 was not designed to be a drag racing transmission" -- Terry Haines
#251729 06/16/02 11:18 PM
B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by MarkO -- Ireland for the World Cup:
Propane torch....heat 'em up and wail on them too. Took me and a friend 9 hours to do my brakes recently due to the fact we couldn't get the old discs off.

Good luck.
This is a good idea and often works when nothing else seems to. Be careful with the heat though. If you overheat the bearings you will melt of the lubricant and most certainly have bearing failure. Try to keep the heet to about what you would get with heavy breaking and don't keep it up over an extended period of time. Don't use a welding torch.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
#251730 06/19/02 09:39 AM
G
G
thank goodness my rotors came right off...once i got the caliper bracket bolts lose...now THOSE took a lot of liquid wrench...a big hammer...and alot of coaching from almost dad inlaw (i'd never beat on my car with a hammer b4 that...i think he was enjoying it laugh )

95 contour se...dark blue...monsterflow air filter...remanuf atx...wiring harness recall or bust!!!96k miles...motorcraft awsf32pp plugs & red ford racing 9mm wires...kvr black plated cross-drilled rotors & carbon fiber pads...currently undergoing renovation...excuse our dust!!!
are my dodgers for real????
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard