Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
I've used the EBC greenstuff on the track and they work great. I spent more than 20 minutes lapping without any sign of brake fade. One other thing, brake pads will not cause a brake rotor to warp. The normal cause of warpage is uneven cooling. Some of the things to becarful about are: washing your car when the rotors are hot, when you do this you spray water on one side of the rotor only; holding your foot on the brake after a hard stop, this causes one spot on the rotor to get heat soaked by the pads while the rest of the rotor is cooling; parking the car after coming off the track, if you've used them hard drive the car around and let them cool a bit before stopping. This is getting too long so just think about how they are being cooled.

Dave T.
'98.5 Silver Frost E1
#4596 of 6535
Koni's
Fog Light Mod
Motor Mount insert
R
RWReece Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveT:
I've used the EBC greenstuff on the track and they work great. I spent more than 20 minutes lapping without any sign of brake fade. One other thing, brake pads will not cause a brake rotor to warp. The normal cause of warpage is uneven cooling. Some of the things to becarful about are: washing your car when the rotors are hot, when you do this you spray water on one side of the rotor only; holding your foot on the brake after a hard stop, this causes one spot on the rotor to get heat soaked by the pads while the rest of the rotor is cooling; parking the car after coming off the track, if you've used them hard drive the car around and let them cool a bit before stopping. This is getting too long so just think about how they are being cooled.
I never drive my car on a track and don't drive it hard on the street. The brake rotors should never get that hot to warp. The only thing I can come up with is that reason they warped is the lug nuts were over torqued so am running then at 70 ft lbs. We'll see what happens.

96 Black SE
2.5L V6 ATX
M
M
I replaced my rotors with the 278mm size (not EBC, just SVT/Cougar size plain replacement rotors). I think that the EBC slotted rotors have a design flaw that makes them especially suceptible to warping: the slots run all the way to the outside edge of the rotor.

That being said, I did notice a reduction of the vibration while braking (with my warped rotors) after I loosened and re-torqued my front wheels.

I wrote more about my experiences a couple of weeks ago in my topic titled "Cougar Rotors" (which is what I bought to replace my EBC rotors).

I like Tirerack.com for tires, but their lack of response about my rotors is frustrating.

Just another two cents from me.

Mike

1996 SE MTX, Desert Violet
Blaupunkt Munchen, Dunlop
Sport 5000s, Ray
McNairy's THFix, custom air filter,
Magnecor wires,
Redline D4 tranny cocktail,
9005 lo-beams
SVT-size front rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads all around
N
NMC Offline
N
I've had Powerslot grooved front rotors for a year now and no warping. I'm impressed cause I warped 3 other sets before these ( Ford, Eurorotor and Autospecialty ). I'll definately buy from these guys again ( carparts.com ).

96LX/24V/ATX/Midnight Red/A4 repeaters/SVT exhaust/KKM/65mm throttlebody/SVTsprings and ST200 struts/SE rockers and BAT spoiler/BAT 19mm swaybar/urethane bushings/Kenwood 7 speaker syst./E1 SVT brakes w Powerslot rotors/9005 lowbeams/885 fogs/50% tint/Michelin XM+S 130's for winter/E1's with gForces for summer...and now "New Paint!!"
87 Renault GTA convertible/2.0l/mtx/Sony sound/otherwise stock
http://members.shaw.ca/neilmc/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard