Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#251273 05/04/02 04:01 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I need to get my brakes serviced and I'm not entirely sure where to bring my car to have this done. I did a search for Raybestos brakes and got mixed results. Some like them, some don't. Pep Boys will install the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads which supposedly create less brake dust and are quieter which would be nice. Ford is currently running a promotion of $89 for brake service which does not include turning the rotors (if I need that, which I'm sure I do). Then there's your Midas, Monroe, Firestone shops, but I'd rather not go there if I can help it. So what do you guys suggest I do? I don't have the time or the patience to do the job myself so with that in mind, who would do a better job with better quality parts? Thanks! smile

1997 Contour GL Sport ATX
Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-204)
Fram Sure Drain System
Ford Motorsport 9mm Racing Wires
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Kenwood in-dash CD player
Infinity 5752cf speakers
World Champion New England Patriots Fan for Life!

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-210)
L
Administrator
Administrator
L
Just do it yourself, its *EASY*. Save quite a bit of $$$$.

Brake jobs are the biggest scams -- anyone with limited mechanical abilities can do it.

-Lance

Lance Kinley
CEG Webmaster
95SE, "Official CEG Beater"
Quaife, SVT parts, ST200 wheels, SS Y-pipe
I perceive you to be a stand-up, rational individual...
B
B
I'm pretty sure that Raybestos Quiet Stop brake pads are not made for all cars. The last time I checked, they were not available for Contours.

In my opinion, the last place you want to take it is Midas. Their products are only avearage and their prices are on the top end of the spectrum.

Lance is right, brakes are one of the easiest do it yourself projects. You could probably replace the pads and rotors yourself for less than most shops would charge for replacing the pads and machining the rotors.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
J
OP Offline
J
Well I had the brakes done at Pep Boys and I got the Raybestos Quiet Stop pads and new rotors. They are really quiet! Anyway, I'll probably replace the pads myself the next time. I just didn't have the time right now to do my own brakes. Thanks for the info.

1997 Contour GL Sport ATX
Zetec/2.0 liter

K&N High Flow Air Filter
Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-204)
Fram Sure Drain System
Ford Motorsport 9mm Racing Wires
Recontented Fog Lights, Rear Dome Light, Underhood Courtesy Light, Glove Compartment Light
Pirelli HPs
Kenwood in-dash CD player
Infinity 5752cf speakers
World Champion New England Patriots Fan for Life!

Wife's Car:
1998 Contour SE ATX
Duratec/2.5 liter

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30
Mobil 1 Oil Filter (M1-210)

Moderated by  Andy W._dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard