At 67,000 miles, my 95 Mystake had the olde factory Cat/Pre-Cat replacement on the house.

I commute 80+ miles a day back and forth to work. After the cats were replaced, the CEL light would come on during my trips to/from work, stay on for about 30 seconds, flicker on and off for about 30 seconds after that and then not be seen again for the remainder of the trip. This would happen at almost the exact same place during the trip going and coming.

Not too big of a deal, mostly irritating. Well, I clocked over 100k last monday. I had made a deal in a previous life that I would do no mods to the ride until after 100k.

First thing I did was replace the resonator. No effect on the CEL (duh), still came on and went off at the same time during my commute. On tuesday, I decided to put a potentiometer on the IAT to bring the timing curve in quicker during part throttle.

Doing so, I soldered in a 4.7kohm resister in series with a 0-25k liner taper pot. This essentially adds 4.7kohm resistance at all times and more resistance can be added by turning to potentiometer, "fooling" the ECU into thinking the incoming air temp is cooler than it really is. I had read on CEG that this may possible advance the timing a tough and enrichen the mixture a touch, too.

At any rate, since installing the resistor in series with the IAT, I have not seen Mr. CEL.

I don't know if the ECU is re-learning or whatever, but I just wanted to report this out in case anyone was interested.

I have driven about 300 miles and no CEL. I will report out if it begins to come back on again.

See ya,
Rob-o

REV VT
rfolden@excite.com
95 MM V6 MTX Deep Purple
Daily Driver 80 Mile Commute
World Wide CB Radio