Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
a failed bearing will generally make a groaning sound, but bearings can also wear and not casue any sound at all while in operation.

A good way to check if its the bearing, tie rod, or the lower A arm is to remove the wheel and put the lug nuts back on to securely hold the brake rotor.

Now proceed to wiggle the rotor and see where the movement is comming from. Watch the steering tie rod to see if that moves. If it does, watch it more closely to determine if the movement is comming from the ball joint which is covered with the rubber boot or if the stud is moving in the hole.

Then check the lower A arm, again wiggling the wheel hub. You want to look up from below at the A arm since its attachment lug is riveted onto the assembly. Watch for loose rivets and watch for movement at its attachment point on the lower surface of the wheel hub. The A-arm is attached to the hub by a stud that fits into a split hole and clamped with a bolt, the attachment stud of the a arm also has a groove that engages with the bolt to secure the stud in place. This bolt has no plating on it to protect against corrosion. It is very possible that the bolt has corroded to the point where it no longer enguages the stud. And with the ammount of salt MA uses on the roads I wouldn't be suprised if that was the problem.

If all the attachemnts seem good and tight my only other suggestion is that the wheel bearings may have worn.

Clean off the wheel hub as best you can and check around everywhere there is something that mounts to it, around each attachment.

If you still have questions send a PM to Terry Haines.

"careful man, there's a beverage here."
e-mail: boseraq@hotmail.com
aol IM: madhat1412
G
G
or - go to your steering wheel,

move the steering wheel a few inches really fast to the left and right....real fast.
if you hear a thump noise....its probably the tie rods....

i personally believe it's the tie rods....and not the wheel bearings.....

when my tie rods went on my SE, the tire moved. when the wheel bearings went - one was noisy the other wasn't....but none of them made the wheel move.

Good luck!

J
J
I have a bad wheel bearing on my car at the moment. I had my mechanic looking at it for like half an hour and he couldn't tell anything by having it on the lift. We took it for a drive and about 10 feet down the road he could hear the growling....so does it make a pulsing sound when driving it? I guess it will go away if you are turning also. I don't know much but this is stuff I have been told. Hope it helps
Mike

98 Red SVT.....
Check your tie rods too. Happened to me; took $222 at a dealership to get them fixed! eek

Matthew
98.5 Contour SE V6
It has spent 1.5 years under the wrong identity ;-)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  baco99, frenchblueC2_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard