Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
fst4dr Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I got a bad scare this afternoon.

I was going to take my car to the drag strip tomorrow, so I was under the hood cleaning the air cleaner, checking around, etc.

I must have wedged the supercharger intake pipe against the connection for my battery relocation, and it grounded out! It started smoking like mad, and the starter started turning over (but the car would not start). I quickly popped the trunk and popped the top off the battery box, then rummaged around for my 1/2" wrench to unhook the battery. Of course I couldn't find it right off the bat, so I grabbed the 13 mm instead (This was no time to be nitpicky!)

About the time I got the ground cable unhooked, the connection under the hood caught fire! I grabbed the fire extinguisher and it put it out. Luckily it was only aflame for maybe 5-10 seconds, so not too much was hurt. It looks like only a few wires had the insulation burned off and the throttle and cruise cable had the outer casing burned through. It could have been alot worse.

I guess the moral of the story...dont use electrical tape to insulate your battery connections. Luckily I had an extinguisher on hand. I will be addressing the battery connection tomorrow to try and insualte it better.

Buy a fire extiguisher for your garage if you do not already have one!

I need to get one for my car now. You can be sure it wont be getting mounted on the A-pillar though wink

Speed kills, but it beats going slow!

Simon Langley
Black 98 SVT EO (#2119 of 6535)
269.3 FWHP, 195.4 TQ
14.123 @ 97.36
All go, and no show!
Vortech, Quaife, Driveshaft Shop Stage II axles, Magnecore Wires, Custom True Dual Exhaust.
CDW-27 1/4 Mile Registry
D
D
There's a Wrangler club here and one of the requirements must be to have a fire extinguisher on the frame. But yeah, it's a good idea to have one around, just not like hanging from the rearview mirror.

Silver E1
I'm afraid Speed Demon has given me the mod bug.
AIM: Davo7Wins
Quote:
Originally posted by Davo7SVT:
But yeah, it's a good idea to have one around, just not like hanging from the rearview mirror.
no, save that for the huge panties wink

Matthew
98.5 Contour SE V6
It has spent 1.5 years under the wrong identity ;-)
L
L
eek eek

2000 Contour Zetec ATX
Hector
Mods...I got em'
"Contour grills, Contour bills, check out the oil my Contour spills."
2.SLO = 17.6 at 80mph
My profile
T
T
Hi Simon. Glad all didn't go Cheech & Chong on ya.

Mark

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by 98 SE:
Quote:
Originally posted by Davo7SVT:
[b]But yeah, it's a good idea to have one around, just not like hanging from the rearview mirror.
no, save that for the huge panties wink [/b]
LMAO! That 'Stang kicked some ass!

Ride: 2000 T-red SE
Beats: Kenwood 316S, Alpine MRF200, Orion XTR 6.2, Coustic 400SE
Mods: CTA, Magnaflow exhaust, SVT Instrument cluster, Knuaberized doors, side markers, F***ed up painted headlights.
S
S
funny thing is, the EXACT same thing happened to me right before we went to the strip for the nationals
except it was a nitrous line, and it went poof aftrer grounding out

95 SE Champagne Mettalic
True Dual exhaust with X pipe and Redline mufflers
KKM Tru Rev intake
H&R Springs/KYB struts
Apex-i S-AFC
65mm Throttle Body
17" Ace Spades
4 Pt Racing Harness
Window Tint all around
New Engine @ 117k kilometers
G-Tech: 15.6 @ 91.5 MPH

"you officially kick ass"
quote from awed CEG'er after i chopped my hood and threw on scoops

RIP 98 SVT silverfrost *nov 4 2001*
V
V
Quote:
Originally posted by fst4dr:
I need to get one for my car now. You can be sure it wont be getting mounted on the A-pillar though wink
I got one as a present. Mounted it under the rear parcel shelf. Used toggle bolts through one of the vents in the metal part (no drilling). Can't get to it from inside the car, but I figure if I need it it will probably be due to something like you mentioned.

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard