Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Hey, I have a crazy idea.... it might have been suggested already, in which case I'm just backing up that suggestion. The user agreement for this site is often mentioned. I have probably only seen it once, when I signed up, and I think it's changed since then. Apparently you have to log out to see it. I never ever log out. When I open the forums, I'm already logged in. So essentially, I have no idea what the user agreement is. I'm sure there are tons of other people on here that have never actually clicked the "log out" link. So to the point...

Couldn't a link be added up top (or on the main page) that points to the user agreement so everyone doesn't have to log out to see it? As a web guy, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard of a thing to do. I'm not saying it's that hard to log out, but it's even easier to have people follow the rules of the forum if they are easily accessible (aka no street race talk, no in befo da lock, etc).

Just a thought.

'00 Contour SVT #123 of 2150
Built 9/29/99
Black/Tan Interior
A
A
You're supposed to read and agree to the user agreement before registering. By registering you are saying that you understand and comply to the user agreement. Therefore, if you have already registered you should know the rules, and don't really need a link to remind you of it.

Just my $.02

B
B
Quote:
Originally posted by aMac:
You're supposed to read and agree to the user agreement before registering. By registering you are saying that you understand and comply to the user agreement. Therefore, if you have already registered you should know the rules, and don't really need a link to remind you of it.

Just my $.02
Kaufman's point was that the agreement changes, even after you register.

James

SVT with CE light mod and a camera mount.
Naughty Pictures
Why yes it is true, I am on my third engine.
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by British Banger:
Kaufman's point was that the agreement changes, even after you register.

James
Exactly, and I agree with Kaufman, I never log out. I am always signed in!

Nick
2000 Malibu LS
Mods: K&N, Jet-PCM
Lowered with Eibach's and on 18's,Clear Sidemarkers,Tinted all around, badgeless
Retired Vehicles: 98 Contour
H
OP Offline
H
Yeah, but it changed after I registered. So it has probably changed since lots of others have registered as well. The 'no street racing talk' was implemented after I registered and no posting 'In befo da lock' on threads in violation of said user agreement was just implemented. Lance mentioned banning anyone who violates that, I'm sure its in the written rules somewhere now.

My $.02, so now we have $.04 smile

[EDIT]Yeah, what Saturnk1 and James said.[/EDIT]

Built 9/29/99
Black/Tan Interior
A
A
Well either way, I don't think it will be changing on a daily basis, so there probably isn't too much harm in just logging out once and awhile.

H
OP Offline
H
aMac...

Quote:
Originally posted by HighPoweredKaufman:
I'm not saying it's that hard to log out, but it's even easier to have people follow the rules of the forum if they are easily accessible...

Built 9/29/99
Black/Tan Interior
A
A
Yes, I've read that, I know what you're saying. Either way, it's still a good suggestion. I was just thinking of not needing to create work for whoever would have to update with the link. The again, it could also be time consuming in the long run because they wouldn't need to keep restating the rules.

Whichever way, doesn't matter to me.

H
OP Offline
H
With more threads being deleted, my curiousity finally got the best of me and I logged out (hoping I would remember my password to get back in) and I pretended to be registering again (the only way it seems to find the user agreement). I figured I would post it so others could more easliy read it.

On a side note, this site is extra precautious to make sure it cannot be held liable in any sort of lawsuit. That's fine, there are crazy people out there who will sue anyone. However, I think that if the User Agreement is being used as a defense, I would think one of the first things a lawyer would ask is "Is the User Agreement easily accessible to the User?" I think the answer to that is no. There are not even any instructions on the site for how to find the user agreement. So, anyway, just thought I would add that to my point. I know Lance doesn't really want to have to add more stuff to this page, but I think since the User Agreement always comes up, it should be easy to find. Plus I think it would make moderators jobs easier and cause less "Why did this get deleted?" type threads.

Not trying to stir up trouble, I just find it is easier for people to follow rules that are readily available to them.

Here is a copy of the current version:
(I highlighted a very important part.)

-------------------------------------------------

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Although this BB does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at this BB reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this BB, Infopop, Inc. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We at this BB also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB.

Contour.org does not condone illegal street racing and such discussion is not permitted on our forums.
Discussions of street racing will be locked or deleted by the moderators.

Built 9/29/99
Black/Tan Interior
E
E
Just curious? Now is it NO discussion of that topic "at all" ??? If so ANYONE talking about the topic is in trouble? If someone makes a reference to the topic in a "joke" or "sarcastic way" is that the same as really posting the topic seriously? and if not, then who is the judge, of what is serious, what is sarcasm, what is "bad" and what is allowed? Does it matter??? And if someone indeed is not aware of the EXACT conditions of enforcement, are they to be "banned" anyway? And since they can resign-up as any different user instantly, what good is "banning" them anyway?
These are just questions I think of as pertinent to the topic of mind control going on here....

One beat'99 Tropic Green SVT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard