Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Alright guys, after a year without one, I'm back in the SVT market.

I found one at Packey Webb Ford in Wheaton. It's a black '98 with about 40k miles. Price is a bit high, but I used to sell cars, so negotiation is no problem!

Basically, I'm wondering if someone might be kind enough to run by there and give the car a once-over for me and let me know their impressions. There was no pic on the ad, so I'm not even certain if it's and E0 or E1.

I'm going to be up that way Wed and Thurs of next week, but I'd like to know a little more about the car ahead of time.

Any help would be appreciated!

------------------
Mike McCue
No Longer Responsible for Spring Zing...
No Longer even an SVT owner...(but may be again soon!)

Mike McCue
I went to Packey Webb and didn't like how I was treated. They want you to sign something saying "you'll buy today if the car is $X" and then they keep you wating while the salesperson is supposedly in the mgrs office.
A bunch of pushy BS sales tactics.

They had some 2000 V6 Contour fleet cars. Some with less than 20K miles, but they are vauge about prices.

Al Piemonte has a ton of 2000 V6 cars, however.

2000 SE fleet, V6, ATX, ABS, no spoiler, T-Green/tan. Built 01/2000 in MO.
Added 12 spoke factory SE rims, K&N. Biggest mod: ESP Plan!
OP Offline
Thanks for the info on Packey Webb. They were supposed to call me back, and haven't yet, so we'll see what happens.

I'm pretty specifically looking for an E1 SVT, but an E0 would work as well. Having owned an SVT previously, I don't think I'd be happy with a V6 MTX SE.

------------------
Mike McCue

Mike McCue
J
J
In my own personal experiance with Packey, I would just stay away. There to damn pushy in there myself, and yes ask WAY WAY to much for Contour SVT's. I looked at my first one there, it was a 00 SVT Contour, with no sunroof. He was asking like 23,000 for it. Im like WTF?! So I asked for a silver one, he said he could find one, but it would cost me for freight, and transfer. Im sorry, but im the customer right? My recomendation on Packey Webb, is look elsewhere for your next SVT Contour.

------------------
Jay (Intersection Killer)
00 'BARTENDER! A Black&Tan' SVT Contour

Home Sweet Home
www.SVTperformance.com

Jay
02 SVT Lightning

www.SVTPerformance.com
OP Offline
Thanks, guys.

The car is gone anyway, but I'll remember this if they get another one.

I'm hoping to find a car that I can stop and see/negotiate on when I'm up there next week, but every one that pops up on the internet ads is gone by the time I call. Yesterday, a nice silver one (with side marker lights!) showed up at Arlington Heights Ford, but a salesman told me it was already sold.

This is what sucks about living so far from Chicago...

------------------
Mike McCue

Mike McCue
Z
Z
I got my 98 SVT E0 from Packey Webb in December 2000 for $13,250 with 32k miles. got them down from $13,995, and traded in a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28/SS with 42k miles. They gave me more than expected on my trade-in too (after low-balling me first).

I will say it wasn't too bad going there, but the salesman did say I was his first sale, so he wasn't really pushy at all. I don't get flustered with pushy car salesmen anyway...

Their service department does suck ass though. Take your car somewhere else, any way possible. In the five times I've had to take my car there, they put 18, 12, 8, 12, 12 miles on my car for minor repairs like bumper sag, CD player, and alignment. All repairs were free per the sales agreement. They put all those miles on my car after I told them explicitly NOT to drive my car, and even took Polaroids of the odometer and proved to them they were joyriding it. It doesn't take an 18 mile drive to make sure the CD player is working, does it? mad

I could keep going, but I'm rambling now...

-zero

-1998 Ford Contour SVT E0
BLACK and beautiful, bone stock
-1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2.0 dohc I4t 5m/awd, not bone stock
-1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT
2.3 dohc I4 Quad 4 HO 5m/fwd, beater
W
W
[QUOTE]and traded in a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28/SS with 42k miles.

Not to be a dick or anything but why did you trade in a '96 Camaro SS for a SVT Contour? I love the SVT Contour and all, but a 96 Camaro SS is a sweet ride! I just thought right away to myself if I had a Camaro SS I wouldn't get rid of it.

Just wondering....

1998.5 Silver Frost Contour SVT #5957 of 6535
List O Mods
PhAtRiDe
T
T
Damn man those SS Camaros are nice. Don't wanna dick around with one of those. Can kick almost any car's ass, including the Stang Cobra.

Dan Parmelee
1999 Acura Integra SiR-G coupe
"I heard Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms"
"Word, bitch! Phantoms like a muhfuka"
Z
Z
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver98.5SVT:
[QUOTE]
Not to be a dick or anything but why did you trade in a '96 Camaro SS for a SVT Contour? I love the SVT Contour and all, but a 96 Camaro SS is a sweet ride! I just thought right away to myself if I had a Camaro SS I wouldn't get rid of it.

Just wondering....

That car was the biggest piece of crap I've owned. The performance was very disappointing. My 1992 Z28 was quicker and gave me no problems at all. The LT1 V8 is the biggest turd GM ever laid. No wonder it only lasted for 5 years...

Besides, the SS wasn't very fun in winters (even though I've owned 8 Camaros and Firebirds in my life, so I'm used to them) and not very functional for my wife to carry her school/work stuff in and out of.

I wasn't impressed by it at all. It didn't feel quick by any means. My 93 Eclipse with less than $200 in mods could hang with it from a dead stop and on the highway. Maybe I got a dog, but that car was a slug... I even got it professionally tuned.

I got tired of the teen-ager, guido-mobile image. The build quality was only slightly above the my Contour's and little things kept going wrong with it. Hey-- sorta like the Contour? but that's another story... :rolleyes: Maybe I'm being hard on it, but I don't regret getting rid of it for an instant. The verdict is still out if the Contour was a mistake though...

-zero

-1998 Ford Contour SVT E0
BLACK and beautiful, bone stock
-1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2.0 dohc I4t 5m/awd, not bone stock
-1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT
2.3 dohc I4 Quad 4 HO 5m/fwd, beater

Moderated by  hetfield_dup1, Loco4G63 

Link Copied to Clipboard