Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24343 07/15/02 04:42 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I thought I would post this in case anyone else experiences these symptoms in their future. Last Spring my water pump went out and my Mystique over heated (2.5 DOHC). I had the pump among other items replaced at a Ford Dealership which confirmed my car was back to it's original state. My Merc did stay cool... but it seemed to have lost power. It just seemed sluggish. I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or just being paranoid... so I took the car in and had them check everything which all checked out OK.

Last week while driving to work, the car started to hesitate when on the highway and giving it a little gas. You could actually feel it sputtering. I put fuel treatment in along with super unleaded which didn't do much to correct this problem.

Not being a mechanic, I am reluctant to start taking things off my engine in fear I could really screw something up. What I did was removed the front three plugs and took a look at them... OH MY GOD!!! eek I've seen bad plugs before and these where by far the worst yet. I even had a friend of mine who knows something about auto work confirm the condition of these plugs. So I removed and replaced all six along with new wires. If I can do this, anyone can!

The plugs were red on the ends from the engines temp getting extremely hot. Almost looked like rust. The top of the plug was burnt from the wires arching and the area were the spark jumps to was almost burnt completely off (on all six). It's amazing the car even was running.

The wires looked OK... but I felt better replacing both.

Now the car is back to norm and as peppy as ever.

So - if you over heat, you might want to check out your plugs. wink

'96 Oxford White Mercury Mystique "Spree"
Equipped with a stock 170hp Duratec 2.5L - V-6, 4 speed ATX
It's a Tubeless Tique!!! ( DFW will understand... )

Purchased NEW @ $18,756.00 on 1/11/97 with 25 miles on the Odometer for the wife.
Now has a little over 57,000 miles on it and it's my ride after getting the wife a 2000 Windstar SEL.
High Beam - Cool Blues in all four Head Lights.
885s in Fogs.
Head Light Switch Wiring Mod ? Can now run with Parks and Fogs together.
Updated the sound system and did sound proofing (What a difference!).

Dad of twins.

I'm such the family man.
R
R
If you ever overheat, you might want to check a lot of stuff out.

"Wow, that sank fast." "Yeah, like a rock."
96 Contour GL ATX
9mm Ford Racing Wires; 2 Resonators down, 1 to go;"Special airbox"; many mods planned
Sony CD player: 50wattsx4;remote;
Speakers=50 watt Pioneer 6x8s
Ross Evans smile
S
S
Good write-up. As non-car mechanic myself I can appreciate your accomplishment.

98.5 SVT Black/Blue
As Thomas Jefferson was fond of saying, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
If you're driving 60 in the left lane do us all a favor, GTFOOTW..

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard