B
laugh

Brinn Riley
Melbourne, FL
'00 Black/Tan SVT Contour #560
#24271 07/16/02 01:43 PM
D
D
Sighh...reminds me of the days when SVTs were as fast/handled better than any sedan around short of the M3. GAGT guys over here all the time hoping that somehow that TALK would help there case. I thought they all sold there cars to there grandparents & gave it up!

But alas, now we have 240 HP Altimas and 227 HP WRXs, even Neon and Mazda Protege turbos to deal with. frown Can't believe I have to take Neons seriously!

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
#24272 07/16/02 02:56 PM
J
J
Well...even though there are some bad MTX grinders with more potential power, I am never disappointed in my 'tour. I also have lotsa ATX Subarus, Pontiacs, and real lame riceboy rides (meaning stock Acuras with small rims and big tailpipes) on my daily commute trying to race me every day. It always amazes me that my el-cheapo, relatively problem-free, untweaked bigazz sedan can still keep up (or much better) if only because I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A 5SP. In the right car, it all comes down to the driver....even a better car can choke when driven wrong. ATX's are just built wrong, 'nuff said, and 5-6sp's rarely have decent drivers, sadly....the 'tour is a fine ride in the right hands. For the $9k or so mine is prob worth now, yes, I still prefer to keep it just to thumb my nose at more expensive rides with clueless drivers. BTW I love the various graphix pkgs and non-perf add-ons Pontiac drivers seem addicted to. No better way to make a totally overstated ride even more ugly......

98 CSVT, basic mod's, my slowest car yet but still faster than the wife's Talon Tsi AWD. Not by much, though. Now if I could get the back wheels to do something....
#24273 07/17/02 12:27 AM
B
B
5:36 PM July 16, 2002...

Looks like our favorite clown is at it again over at College Club.

Interesting he chooses not to debate earnestly on fact and experience. Also peculiar..."supposed" 15.4 second 1/4 mile...? Wow. Such blindness.

"Stupid is as stupid does"

Brinn Riley
Melbourne, FL
'00 Black/Tan SVT Contour #560
#24274 07/17/02 12:36 AM
A
A
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Sighh...reminds me of the days when SVTs were as fast/handled better than any sedan around short of the M3. GAGT guys over here all the time hoping that somehow that TALK would help there case. I thought they all sold there cars to there grandparents & gave it up!

But alas, now we have 240 HP Altimas and 227 HP WRXs, even Neon and Mazda Protege turbos to deal with. frown Can't believe I have to take Neons seriously!
Dan I am surprised you would admit that. The ship is sinking huh? frown

99' SVT
86' Toyota Pickup Beater - Tha Daily Driver
#24275 07/17/02 02:37 AM
I can't believe I'm actually chiming in here.
Quote:
athlon-
Like I said before I don't own a grand AM, I own a grand prix. But I have driven a countour, and they are the most underpowered cramped pieces of **** I've ever driven. And who cares how "advanced" their engines are? Just makes them harder and more expensive to fix once they BREAK DOWN, seeing as its a FORD, thats something that comes with owning one. Give me pushrod anyday. You guys are bragging about the supossed SVTs countors 15.4 1/4 mile time. And? My grand prix runs just about that with being 9 years old and 120,000 miles on the block plus less HP. And thats WITH an automatic. Funny these SVTs are so hard to find on the roads even though Ford made a decent amount of them when they made them. Gee, I wonder why they stopped making them? *cough...unreliable* Another fine testament to ford products...
He drives a Grand Prix. We're talking about the Grand Am. There is a slight difference between the two!

SVTs are hard to find because they're all clumped in several areas. Go to Michigan and you see tons there. Go to Massachusetts ... heck, I've only seen one here (excluding CEGers').

They are gone because Ford discontinued the Contour, not because SVT decided to. They are gone because they didn't sell. Ford didn't advertise or put effort training their salesmen. We know that for a good fact. In addition, with all the decontenting that went on, it seems the Contour was destined to die starting in 1997.

Did this guy drive a Zetec ATX Contour? (no offense intended to zeteckers around here) Why is he saying it's slow?

Matthew
98.5 Contour SE V6
It has spent 1.5 years under the wrong identity ;-)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard