Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20316 06/15/02 08:12 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Got a question for you guys. I am thinking about washing my engine bay out so it looks good. Is it safe to spray a hose in there, or do I need to do something else?

Andrew
1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L MTX
No mods yet
#20317 06/15/02 08:28 AM
R
Ray Offline
R
Cover the battery, and plugs. Take heed to avoid electrical connectors, wires, electrical components, or chips. As long as you cover about 90% of the engine, the cams should be sprayable.
LOL. j/k

I have done it, just avoided the battery and plugs. Not sure how many flames I will get from saying that, but here's hoping that I get none..

Ray

Check out my car!! (Profile Registry)

Have a Nextel two-way? check out my registry for my number!

Ray Haralson
Jacksonville, FL
s_r_haralson@sar.med.navy.mil
srh@texas.net

YIM: midnghtflm
AIM: midnghtflm

NEWEST MOD: a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend for my one and only passenger.
#20318 06/15/02 11:08 AM
T
Tom Offline
T
It's VERY important that the engine is NOT hot. A warm engine will get you best results. Also, if you have some type of open air filter (CTA, KKM, etc.), you have to be real careful not to get anything in it.

This is what I did just a couple weeks ago: I wrapped my CTA up with a plastic grocery bag and sprayed a whole can of engine cleaner over the ENTIRE engine bay. After a few minutes, I took the bag off, and started the car up. I used a regular garden hose to rinse everything off making sure I stayed away from the air intake. After rinsing, I shut the car off, and took a brillo pad to the stubborn spots. Started it up again, and rinsed it good again. I let it dry real good, then took some armour all and sprayed everything but the intake down & polished with a soft cloth. May sound crazy, but it makes for a nice shine, and won't harm anything. Just don't be afraid...get in there and do it quickly but carefully, and everything will turn out fine.

Good luck...it's well worth the time. cool

*EDIT* just noticed you have a stock airbox. You should have nothing to worry about as long as your car is running when you rinse it.

97 sport MTX
zetec inside
#20319 06/15/02 02:06 PM
E
E
another suggestion that works real well.
go buy some simple green Automotive cleaner.
and some CD2 Engine detailer.(comes in a tall metal can)
with the motor ice cold, spray it down lightly witha hose, just to get it wet.
then soak it with the simple green, you can spray everything, just be carefull around electrical connectors.
let this sit for about 10 minutes.
then hose it down, rinsing it all away.

then spray everything down with a healthy dose of the CD2. don't create any huge puddles or anything, but cover it well. you can cover everything with it.
let this sit for at least 20 minutes.
then start the car and let it run for at least 20 minutes.
this will allow it to penetrate everything and leav it looking supah shiney. you don't have to wipie it downat all. Unless there are some puddles left around, if so just wipe up the excess.

this method is super easy, and comes out awesome, just ask antonio.
he uses teh same stuff.

**HELP SAVE CEG!!! DONATE NOW!!!**

*This space for rent*
Please call...
1-800-FOR-ELKY

All proceeds go towards saving CEG
#20320 06/15/02 02:33 PM
Make sure you have had the Wiring Harness Recall done first! I had some cracked wires, and one day I washed the engine and it grounded some of those wires and caused a crap load of problem. Play it safe and have the recall done first.

UBRF.org , Western New York's Premiere Automotive Forum.

Yeah, I got some bolt-ons.
Car Pics
Video of Brullen cat-back on a \'95 SE
How-to: Short Shifter for Pre-98 MTX

"heres the deal $2 grand buy in winner gets the cash and the girl and the respect. We'll race from 0 to Inf. until I win." - someone on the internet
#20321 06/15/02 02:55 PM
D
D
I have cleaned my engine bay with the spray can type of engine cleaner (various brands) before with great results. I didn't cover anything, but that is probably not the best idea.

The post above mentions CD2 engine detailer, which I intend to shop for, but I use a spray detailer from Dura Gloss called Ultimate Detail. It's high gloss and lasts a long time. I spray it on all plastic and rubber and the engine compartment looks great. (Dura Gloss products come from Brother's Research ph. 336.229.6480 - I think they sale there stuff at Napa stores, but I buy it from an independent auto parts store.)

Finally, step back and enjoy your hard work.

Don Francis - 1999 Contour Zetec MTX -- Stock except for stereo mods & 20%/5% tint:
Sony MobileES head unit, Pioneer 6x8 in front doors, 3 JL Audio 10" in the trunk, RF Punch amp pushing the doors, JL 300x2 amp on the 10s
Auto X Novice --> NHS 11 (ya gotta start somewhere) - thanks auto x guys for your advice!
#20322 06/15/02 03:48 PM
A
APT Offline
A
Yep, CD2 is good stuff.

#20323 06/15/02 05:05 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys. Is there any way to tell if the wiring harness recall as been done? I would assume you could tell visually. I bought the car used about 2 months ago, and I don't know if the recall has been done.

Andrew
1995 Mercury Mystique 2.5L MTX
No mods yet
#20324 06/15/02 10:36 PM
J
J
I wash my engine compartment everytime I wash my SVT. I use good old ZipWax car wash. I hose everything under the hood and never have any problems. Same goes for my 99 Powerstroke, my 99 Lincoln TownCar and my Supercharged 85 Mustang 5.0L. Been doing it to my cars for over 30 years and have never had any problems; but, I do always have clean engines! Just don't do it hot!

John
Black '98 CSVT
#2000 of 6535
Sometimes good, sometimes bad
Sometimes hate it, mostly love it
No mods other than 225/45-17 tires
#20325 06/16/02 02:37 AM
P
P
just take it to ford and ask about the recalls... it only takes 3 hours to get the car in and out if anything minor like that needs to be done.

Silver 1998 Mystique LS (v6)...ATX frown
Removed Emblems, limo tint, painted calipers.
Premier P630 HU with 4 Pioneer TS-A6895 Speakers with 10' Sony sub (yeah i know, i'm cheap)
Commando 501-S Alarm
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard