Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Ok so It's been awhile since Ive been around and I know your all wondering where Ive been (doubtful). And in my absence I have gotten 2 new jobs and with the extra money Ive decided to build a new computer. It will mainly be used as an MP3 holder, see my father has about 10,000 cds and I always wanted to copy them. The only problem is that I only have basic knowledge about computers, I have changed CDRW drives before and added my own RAM but thats about it. So for all of you techies out there I really would like some feedback for the ABC's of building this thing. For example, how many GB's I need, the CDRW drive, processer speed, speakers, and screen. So any kind of sites, brands, stores or information you could give I thank you in advance.

Zach

Black '98 SVT Contour
Clear headlights
Door ding guards removed
15% tint all around
5 in. LCD and DVD player
K&N Intake

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. When toast is dropped, it always lands butter-side-down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the cat's feet, butter facing up. The two will hover, spinning, inches above the ground. With a giant buttered-toast/cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
T
T
well well - the boozehounds have returned smile

just kidding laugh

if you are going to be doing MP3 extraction, i'm going to recommend a Pentium 4 system (imagine that)

how much $$ do you have to blow, um spend?

harddrives are dang cheap now - 80GB for $150 or less... going to do any gaming, etc?

Todd Christ SVT Contour Registry
MODS: KKM Intake, SHO Shop Y-Pipe, Bullit Fuel Door, Edelbrock RPM Resonator
'98 E0 SVT Contour #1037 of 6535
P
OP Offline
P
Not much gaming, maybe a little since I am a video game junky with the PS2 and Xbox but its mostly for music. Ill probably have about $1000-$1500 to spend, I was thinking 200-300 GB of storage what so you think?

Black '98 SVT Contour
Clear headlights
Door ding guards removed
15% tint all around
5 in. LCD and DVD player
K&N Intake

When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet. When toast is dropped, it always lands butter-side-down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the cat's feet, butter facing up. The two will hover, spinning, inches above the ground. With a giant buttered-toast/cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.
F
F
If your looking for storage I would go to Staples.com and pick up a few 80GB Maxtor 5400 RPM drives. On rebate and you should be able to do a Google search for Staples coupons and get an additional $20 off each drive. With rebate they are $80, then apply your coupon so final cost would be $60.

I just picked upa 32x12x40 CDRW for $30 after rebate!

For processor I would suggest watching the Fry's ads in Sac and getting a dwal on MB and Chip combo for under $150. Buy a case from these guys on Ebay. Great service and only $11 shipping. Seller id is TC-web

Just continue to watch the Frys ads and shop at NewEgg.com for antyhing else you may need. Frys sale prices are cheaper than anyone on the net!

Rather than have multiple HD's why not get a CD or DVD RW and use 14cent discs to hold 700mb of data confused DVDR's are about $5-7 for 4.7GB of data storage.

T
T
ok - so i'll recommend the following

these are all "online" prices - local stores will be at least 10% higher....

• Pentium 4 2.0GHz ~$250
  • Gigabyte P4 Titan DDR Motherboard ~$75 - this includes onboard sound and Promise ATA133 w/RAID chip
  • 512MB DDR ~$130
  • 120GB Western Digital 7200rpm drive(s) ~$160/each - if you want big storage, use the RAID on the motherboard and put 2 or three of these drives together smile
  • Geforce4 MX440 64MB Videocard - ~$80
  • always good deals on CDRW online - you can get 24x burners for ~$80 if you look around
  • as far as monitors go, you can find decent prices locally on 17" or 19" CRT's, no need for flatpanels unless you want to spend the $$$ - i'd recommend a 19" screen if you have the room
  • speakers - lots of good online deals, if you want to just listen to the music, get the Klipsche 2.1 (~$180) system - if you're looking to do surround sound, etc - do the Logitech Z560 setup (~$140 online)

a case for $80 with a 300W power supply
so you're looking at about $1500 (probably less) but it's a SMOKIN system for audio....

P
OP Offline
P
You guys are the coolest!!!
This will be built sometime next month, ill let you know how it goes.

Black '98 SVT Contour
Clear headlights
Door ding guards removed
15% tint all around
5 in. LCD and DVD player
K&N Intake

T
T
check out this site

http://www.slickdeals.net/

right NOW they have 80GB drives for $60
and 32x CDRW for $30!!

dang!!!

P
OP Offline
P
So whats the maximum number of Hard drives I can have installed? 2? 3? 4?

Black '98 SVT Contour
Clear headlights
Door ding guards removed
15% tint all around
5 in. LCD and DVD player
K&N Intake

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Prozach27:
So whats the maximum number of Hard drives I can have installed? 2? 3? 4?
haven't played with IDE RAID for a while, at least 2 drives, it does RAID0 (volume) or RAID1 (mirroring)

here's the owners manual for the motherboard
http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/user_pdf/8irxp_2004.pdf

T
T
As a person who just finished ripping all his CDs (for the second time, thanks to a blown hard drive), I would suggest that the faster the processor, the faster the results in ripping... Processor speed is more important than CD reader spead.. strangely enough...

Now.. as far as all the other components... If all the machine is going to be used for is music, then go cheap on everything else. You need a fast processor, mucho ram, large hard drive(s), decent cd reader, and that is IT.... The best way to get this for a cheap amount, is to go online, and buy a pre-built system that has what you need, and nothing else.... Additionally, as you are not the most experienced computer builder, you will not have to put anything together... This is my suggestion..

Cheers,
Tom

1998 E0 Contour SVT #2478/6535
B.O.D. Wed, 07/16/97
P.O.D. 09/14/97
Black/Midnight Blue
Mods:
- Diablo Chip (RJL1)
- K&N Air and Oil Filters
- Ultrawhite headlights, Sylvania 885 foglights
- Mobile 1 Synthetic
- Panasonic CD-DF801U, Autotek 4160 amp, Neo 35 MP3, Lanzar NEO8 and VX572's