Next Thread
Print Thread
#143017 03/12/02 07:40 PM
J
JMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey all,

I have the Performance Ford Mesh grilles on my SVT. The front oval is fine, but the lower front and rear mesh have rusted and they look like s*&t. MY question is how should I refinish them so they don't rust again i.e. paintehm and then clearcoat them, or paint with rustoleum. They will be painted silver and I don't want them to rust agin

Help!!

Thanks

J

99 SVT Silver/Blue, KKM Pedals, MOMO shift knob, Sylvania Silverstars, Dent from a little old lady in rear door (10HP)
#143018 03/12/02 07:44 PM
I
I
Scrap them and get aluminum mesh. Better yet, send the mesh back to Performance and demand your money back!

99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
Mystery Car??????
#143019 03/13/02 01:01 AM
C
C
I have the same issue. Oval has light rust but the front and rear bottoms are totally rusted out. I actually emailed performancefords today and asked them about what to do. They (Alessandro) told me...

"[We're]working on something right now to try and rectify the situation and that would include powder coating the lower grilles for improved durability.

We might send out replacements at a drastically discounted price to those that have been affected by weather and road condidtions. While we did envision that eventually this may happen due to the grilles proximity to the ground and winter conditions, we did not think it would happen so quickly. We do want to make things right and will know better in a month or so what we will be doing. We do want to stand behind our products. I will keep your name on file but contact me in about a month if you do not hear from me by then.

For a quick fix, it depends how bad the grilles have gotten. If it is light and superficial than I would suggest trying a wire brush and/or lacquer thinner to clean the grilles up and then spraying some primmer and automotive paint or rust paint over it. "

I would suggest contacting them at sales@performancefords.com and getting your name added to this "file". They might be nice and give us a good break on replacements since we already paid over $200 for something that rusted up!!!!

#143020 03/13/02 01:12 AM
I
I
Quote:
might be nice and give us a good break on replacements since we already paid over $200 for something that rusted up!!!!
Thats way too much for the grills. Stazi could hook you up with all three for $90. Or, you can get in on the next GB from Elky. Dont waste your time with the metal grills.

99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
Mystery Car??????
#143021 03/13/02 06:53 PM
J
JMAN Offline OP
OP Offline
J
cmbsvt99,

That's the same response I received when I contacted Alessandro. I'll call him in a month and see what happens

99 SVT Silver/Blue, KKM Pedals, MOMO shift knob, Sylvania Silverstars, Dent from a little old lady in rear door (10HP)

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard