Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
D
Not's not 100% correct Jim.

The UIM in it's entirety gets the Extrude Hone process. Not one side vs the other

The 98 & 98.5 SVT's get the process done once.

The 99 & 00 SVT's get it done another time (dual honed)

The 99 & 00 SVT do have both the primary & secondary head ports EH'd while the 98 & 98.5 only have the secondary head ports EH'd.

The LIM never gets the EH process.
There is the stock LIM, the 98, 98.5, & early 99 LIM (+2mm bored stock) and the late 99 & 00 LIM (3L lower +2mm more/+4mm over stock)

On the Dyno; the DH UIM vs a SH UIM made around 3FWHP/TQ through the entire powerband on a moderately modded SVT.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
L
Administrator
Administrator
L
I believe DemonSVT is right. How would you get the putty-like substance to just come out the secondary ports? The stuff definitely gets pushed into the main opening. Dual hone = done twice.

-Lance

Lance Kinley
CEG Webmaster
95SE, "Official CEG Beater"
Quaife, SVT parts, ST200 wheels, SS Y-pipe
I perceive you to be a stand-up, rational individual...
T
T
On the Dyno; the DH UIM vs a SH UIM made around 3FWHP/TQ through the entire powerband on a moderately modded SVT.

I Can think of some better ways to blow $500.00
:p

1998.5 CSVT
K&N Custom Intake
Custom 2 3/4" Magnaflow cat back
Ram HD Power Grip Clutch
Bosch Platnium +

Alpine deck "CDA-7863"
Boston mids

More to come

Stock Sucks!!!!
B
B
I returned to the 98 Contour SVT brochure to refresh my memory about the topic of extrude honing. I will quote it so that you can make your own decision on what it means. In light of the others that posted I would say that it is not as definitive as I remembered it.

"Extrude Honing"

"The upper intake mainfold (plenum and intake runners) as well as the cylinder head's secondary intake ports have been enhanced through application of an aerospace technology that first gained favor in the automotive world amoung high-performance tuners: extrude honing. A putty like material that contains a fine grit is squeezed through a port or runner that will channel air. The grit polishes the surface to a high degree, allowing air to move more quickly and efficiently."

It does become a little clearer on the Technical Data page.

"Valvetrain"

"Double overhead cams (hollow camshafts), chain drive, roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjustment, ovate-wire valve springs, four valves per cylinder, extrude-honed secondary ports."

And then again on the Technical Data page it gets muddy again.

"Intake Manifold"

"Airflow-tuned upper intake, cast aluminum plenum chamber, extrude honed internal surfaces."

Although there is certainly room for confusion, in one place it does clearly say "...extrude honed secondary ports".

I do remember articles about the additional 5 HP when the 99 was introduced saying that it was from more agressive extrude honing of the intake. I'm also pretty sure that they said the more agressive extrude honing was from doing the primaries as well as the secondaries. My memory isn't always correct though.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
D
D
Big Jim -

I know for a fact (not a Ford sales brochure wink ) that the process is done on the entire UIM. From the horses mouth (Extrude Hone)

Just like Lance said; the "putty" is forced in through the TB opening and comes out all 12 ports (EGR, IAC, etc are plugged of course)

My post is how & what is done.

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyBoy:

I Can think of some better ways to blow $500.00
:p
Very true in the strictest sense.

However not too long ago the DH UIM was well under $300. This is where the SH to DH dyno numbers came from (Thanks to Chris @ CTA)

Another thing to think about is the switch from stock UIM to DH UIM would garner atleast twice those gains. Provided all the other necessary components were upgraded as well.

Also those gains would be magnified the more modifications the car had.
A heavily modified car could easily see twice the gains.
A 3L car exponentially more in the gains department. (Especially a hybrid with 3L valves!) Triple honing would add atleast another multiplier to each level... laugh

B
B
I just found a 98 1/2 brochure which among other things tells about the improved front struts and is pictured with the newer style wheels so it is clear that it is a 1998 E1 model that it is refering to.

It has nearly the same information on the Technical Data page. The big difference is that the term EXTRUDE HONE is all upper case with the added word Powerflow and an added trademark (TM) symbol.

"Valvetrain"

"Double overhead cams (hollow camshafts), chain drive, roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjustment, hehive valve springs, four valves per cylinder, EXTRUDE HONE Powerflow TM process applied to secondary intake ports."

So at least this part of the second iteration of the 98 Contour SVT technical information is clear that it is only the secondary ports that get the extrude hone process.

Now if you want to say that Ford's literature is often inaccurate (such as the changeover date of the larger front calipers and pads), I'll agree that they are often less than accurate.

I suppose that we may need to wait until a few people have placed both the early and late SVT intake manifold side by side to really know for sure.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
K
K
Would it be safe to assume that if you haven't cleaned your UIM lately (ever) that the EH isn't doing you as much (any) good?

Seems that once it gets caked with crud it's not smooth anymore....

Kerry
57,000 km and haven't cleaned the UIM yet

99 SVT Contour Silver Frost, #365/2760
91 Isuzu Impulse XS Kammback, Handling By Lotus
Victoria, BC, Canada
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
"Double overhead cams (hollow camshafts), chain drive, roller finger followers with hydraulic lash adjustment, hehive valve springs, four valves per cylinder, EXTRUDE HONE Powerflow TM process applied to secondary intake ports."

So at least this part of the second iteration of the 98 Contour SVT technical information is clear that it is only the secondary ports that get the extrude hone process.
Secondary Ports IN THE HEADS! Not the UIM. Just like I posted earlier.

See how the entire paragraph is talking about cylinder head components...

Even in your previous post you quote the SVT brochure saying the UIM:
"Airflow-tuned upper intake, cast aluminum plenum chamber, extrude honed internal surfaces."

Nowhere does it state "Only the Secondary Ports"

The UIM in it's entirety has the EH process done to it. Please feel free to call EH about it. I certainly have. If I can't convice you, I am sure they can...

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by kerrychin:
Would it be safe to assume that if you haven't cleaned your UIM lately (ever) that the EH isn't doing you as much (any) good?
The EH process enlarges the ports and leaves a smooth finish. Howver it is not a slick, polished finish nor would you want one in the manifolds.

Yes the "crud" build up hinders performance. It retains a lot of heat and disrupts the airflow a little.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard