Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
whitelx Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I wanted to get my upper and lower intake manifold extrude honed. I was wondering hwere I take this or ship it to. Thanks.

2000 Tropic Green SVT Contour
***BONE STOCK***
...for now
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by whitelx:
I wanted to get my upper and lower intake manifold extrude honed. I was wondering hwere I take this or ship it to. Thanks.
Well some one correct me if I am wrong but I believe the 2000 model SVT is all ready extrude honed.. I think thats why the have more hp than the 98's wink

1998.5 CSVT
K&N Custom Intake
Custom 2 3/4" Magnaflow cat back
Ram HD Power Grip Clutch
Bosch Platnium +

Alpine deck "CDA-7863"
Boston mids

More to come

Stock Sucks!!!!
S
S
dual honed actually

dont waste your time, also there is a huge waiting list so yeah

95 SE Champagne Mettalic
True Dual exhaust with X pipe and Redline mufflers
KKM Tru Rev intake
H&R Springs/KYB struts
Apex-i S-AFC
65mm Throttle Body
17" Ace Spades
4 Pt Racing Harness
Window Tint all around
New Engine @ 117k kilometers
G-Tech: 15.6 @ 91.5 MPH

"you officially kick ass"
quote from awed CEG'er after i chopped my hood and threw on scoops

RIP 98 SVT silverfrost *nov 4 2001*
W
whitelx Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks guys!

2000 Tropic Green SVT Contour
***BONE STOCK***
...for now
D
D
The 98 SVTs (E0 and E1) upper intakes are "single Extrude Honed"..1 pass through the gritty porting procedure.

99 & 00 SVT are "dual Extrude Honed"..slightly larger smoother runner ports.

Demon SVT has "triple Extrude Honing"..he sent it back for more. Why? Because the SVT intake ports and lower intake are about 34-35mm (secondaries) and the dual Extrude Honed upper is only about 32-33mm. He just got everything the same diameter for optimal flow..especially useful since he removed his butterflies.

I think more Extrude Honing is probably useful ONLY with lots of other mods..bigger MAF meter, filter, possibly t.body, possibly removed butterflys & a good free flowing exhaust system.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
S
S
Don't waste your money. You have a 2k. Won't see much gains and for around $500 I was quoted, well you know. Now if you have below a 1999, then maybe you should think about that or a manifold swap. Just my $0.02

N
N
What kind of gains do you guys think would be seen double extrude honing a standard duratech intake? Or would this make the intake passages bigger than the intake ports on the stock heads?

~Shawn Clone~

1999 SE Sport V6 MTX
Silver frost/Midnight Blue
BAT Euro Handling kit, SCA Cold Air intake, painted dash/calipers, Elky's mesh grille, bulitt fuel door,B&M shifter, ES motor mount inserts, OMP front strut tower brace, newest mod- HPP rear strut tower brace ...coming soon, Aussie Bar
Possabilities in the works: Custom CAI, Polished stainless shifter cover plate
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
What kind of gains do you guys think would be seen double extrude honing a standard duratech intake? Or would this make the intake passages bigger than the intake ports on the stock heads?
It would be the exact same as a Dual Honed SVT (99, 00) UIM.
It would just cost about twice as much!

The DH UIM passages (30.5mm/31.8mm) still are no where near as large as the LIM (~34mm for late 99 & 00 SVT, 32/33mm 98, 98.5, early 99 SVT) (miniscule 30/31mm for stock) or head inlets! (~34mm for 99, 00 SVT, 32/34mm for 98, 98.5) (~31/32mm for stock)

So it is slightly larger than the miniscule stock LIM & maybe the head ports. However they are such a restriction to begin with it's like comparing apples to oranges IMO.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Quote:
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
[b]What kind of gains do you guys think would be seen double extrude honing a standard duratech intake? Or would this make the intake passages bigger than the intake ports on the stock heads?
It would be the exact same as a Dual Honed SVT (99, 00) UIM.
It would just cost about twice as much!

The DH UIM passages (30.5mm/31.8mm) still are no where near as large as the LIM (~34mm for late 99 & 00 SVT, 32/33mm 98, 98.5, early 99 SVT) (miniscule 30/31mm for stock) or head inlets! (~34mm for 99, 00 SVT, 32/34mm for 98, 98.5) (~31/32mm for stock)

So it is slightly larger than the miniscule stock LIM & maybe the head ports. However they are such a restriction to begin with it's like comparing apples to oranges IMO.[/b]
So Demon whould a 98 see a worth wile gain with a 2000 UIM swop with out messin with the LIM?? If so about how much???

By the way number 100 :p

1998.5 CSVT
K&N Custom Intake
Custom 2 3/4" Magnaflow cat back
Ram HD Power Grip Clutch
Bosch Platnium +

Alpine deck "CDA-7863"
Boston mids

More to come

Stock Sucks!!!!
B
B
Something needs to be cleared up here.

The 98 SVT has extrude honed secondary ports in the upper intake and the heads. I'm not sure about the lower intake, but I think it doesn't have the extrude hone process.

The 99 and 00 SVT has extrude honed primary and secondary ports in the upper intake and the heads. Again, I'm not sure of the lower intake. Somewhere along the line the lower intake was enlarged, I think part way through the 99 model year.

So the dual honed intake refers to honing the primaries and secondaries while the single honed intake refers to honing only the secondaries. This change was worth 5 HP.

There is or was a link to the extrud hone company in the links section. You can have most anything done by them, but the cost is quite high when done on an individual basis rather than on a production basis.

A well modified engine such as a 3 liter conversion or an engine with much hotter cams would surely benefit from additional honing, but an experiencied porting shop may be able to accomplish much the same benefit with more conventional porting tools.

Jim Johnson
98 SVT
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard