Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
I don't think I've ever heard the Duratec described as bulletproof. I've heard the Yamaha V6 described as bulletproof several times. Also, my SHO's engine ran great when I sold my car with a 132k miles. My clutch and transmission were screwed, though. I agree, the Contour is a way better car than the Taurus but I think the Yamaha V6 engine is way better than the Duratec.

Chris (AIM: "ToBeHuman")
Long Beach, CA, USA
Current Car: '99 Contour SE Sport V6, ATX, Deep Navy Blue Metallic (AKA Larin)
Previous Car: '94 Taurus SHO, MTX, Green (AKA Sydney)
Previous Car: '99 Cougar I4, MTX, Silver Frost (AKA Suzanna)
D
D
Well.....

With specific output, I was refering to the SVT 2.5...200 HP/2.5L = specific out of 80 HP/L. SHO is 220 HP/3L or 73 HP/L.

As far as revs..I think the engine may be OK at these revs with the DMD. without = not a good idea, though SEVERAL SVTs have chips with 7500 redlines that visit frequently without apparent problems thusfar. Talking to Al Mirko and Chris Reinke ..both SVT Touring car drivers, the stock valvetrain (which they used except for 3L valves)is good for around 7800-8000 RPM before float is an issue. Duratec cams are lightweight hollow parts, valve stems are slender stainless steel and roller finger followers all reduce valvetrain mass. The new BMW M3 uses all of these to get 8000RPM. Even higher revs, direct acting buckets better from what I gather. I think biggest problem for Duratec at <8000 RPM is probably crank whip..hense the DMD recommendation. Also, oiling may be iffy so an extra 1/2 quart in the sump and possibly Accusump desireable especially over 7500 revs.

Note that modded SVTs can actually benifit from 7400 RPM in contrast to most cars. Peak power for me is 6900-7000, right at fuel cut, and dynos on other chipped cars suggest that power falls of slowly until 7400 RPM or so with stock SVT cams. So basically, car will pull hard until 7400 RPM and improve power area under the curve.

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
D
D
The Duratec may be alot more Bulletproof now that the DMD is standard on new V6s being built. That and the water pump that fails at 40-80K miles are the notable weak points..both fixable.

Also, I see you drive an ATX..this awful tranny does not show the Duratec in its best light. try an SVT laugh

179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
T
T
This is my 1st ATX car. I've driven a Duratec mated to a MTX before. Also, people have chipped the SHO's computer to allow it to revv to 8500rpms. The engine can run fine at these speeds as long as the accessories are underdriven. Although the SHO's engine was made by Yamaha, all the accessories (ie: power steering pump, alternater, etc) were standard Ford issue and have durability issues at such engine speeds.

Long Beach, CA, USA
D
D
Quote:
Also, people have chipped the SHO's computer to allow it to revv to 8500rpms.
That is impressive. The Yamaha is undoubtedly a nice peice.

179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
R
R
Yes Dan the Yamaha is very nice! Me and a few friends were together at a little 1/4 mile strech of pavement a friend owns[closed course not a public road] and we had an interesting pairing there we were playing with. A Taurus SHO 3L and a Taurus 3L duratec[you cant get more apples to apples than that, as Demon would say] Geuss how many times the duratec won in the 1/4 mile. 0 it never did win and it never was even close! Even after 20 runs and every one getting there turns driving each car the duratec never won. It really was embarassing for the duratec. I know there are people here that love their cars. Hell I love the little thing too but I'm very dissapointed in the lackluster performance of this engine, its really pitifull shocked All over this site there are people saying things like "I beat a Mustang GT" or "I beat a cobra" and if I can only get the turbo I'll be outrunning Vette's. That is pure HS! There seems to be a lot of very young people on here doing an awful lot of dreaming. Dont get me wrong there is NOTHING WRONG with being young and I mean no insult to those people, but dreaming has its place and should not be used at all times. You have to be real sometimes and most of the time I am under the impression alot of people here really does'nt grasp the idea of reallity. Again let me say I love the SVT Contour and there are some things I dont like about it, But I in no way think that I'm going to bolt on ALL of the things that people have put on there cars[including the turbo!] and go out and start beating Cobra's,Vette's,SS Camaro's or Vipers. Its NOT going to happen.

M
M
FWIW, My IMRC cable groke a few months back so I pinned my secondaries open since i did not want them closed all of the time. Since I have done this and reset the computer, the car drives much better. Much smoother powerband. I think it is personal preference, but since I have a chip, i do not experience the problems others have expressed with pinning the secondaries on the SVT. Moreover, I drive between 4000 and 4500 all of the time. My car has 100k on the odometer and runs beautifully. If the car was not designed for 4k rpm's regularly, then I would have had problems by now. I have to lean towards the theory of driving the car at the higher revs. after all the car is not designed to be driven at 2k rpm's, even in city driving. Big 2v v8's are designed for low rpm driving, not 4v's.

98 EO #587
Currently Dirt Jumping
R
R
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
FWIW, My IMRC cable groke a few months back so I pinned my secondaries open since i did not want them closed all of the time. Since I have done this and reset the computer, the car drives much better. Much smoother powerband. I think it is personal preference, but since I have a chip, i do not experience the problems others have expressed with pinning the secondaries on the SVT. Moreover, I drive between 4000 and 4500 all of the time. My car has 100k on the odometer and runs beautifully. If the car was not designed for 4k rpm's regularly, then I would have had problems by now. I have to lean towards the theory of driving the car at the higher revs. after all the car is not designed to be driven at 2k rpm's, even in city driving. Big 2v v8's are designed for low rpm driving, not 4v's.
Mike I have no problem with you liking your secondaries pinned open, after all it is your car. You say you drive around between 4000-4500 RPM all of the time. What kind of speeds are you running? What gear are you running around town in? I own one of these cars and I know that if your doing that in 3rd gear you are speeding BIG time! Now if your doing it in 2nd gear your still speeding in most parts of town not to mention you probably scare the hell out of everybody with your engine screaming like that. Do you really beleive that high RPM does not create more wear within the engine? I dont know where you get your info but there are alot of DOHC 4V engines out there that do not have keep there engines so high in RPM to perform well. Open your mind and do some research, it doesnt have to be this way.

D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by RedSVT:
A Taurus SHO 3L and a Taurus 3L duratec[you cant get more apples to apples than that, as Demon would say] Geuss how many times the duratec won in the 1/4 mile.
Um no...

Hand built, one off engine with an MTX (maybe ATX?) compared to a mass produced, economy tuned engine with an sloppy ATX.

The stock 3L Duratec is detuned so much it has 10:1 compression and runs on 87 octane fuel. Think about that for a second.

2000 SVT #674 - Check it out!

Whoever coined the phrase; "If it ain't broke; don't fix it" ~ Just doesn't get it...
T
T
I don't know if comparing the 3.0 liter Yamaha to any of the Duratecs is apples to apples or not. It may not be. I don't think that 87,000 units is that limited of a number to call the V6 Yamaha engine a limited production one, but some may. I wasn't trying to compare apples to apples earlier, anyway. I was just saying that I liked the Yamaha engine better than the Duratec and wish that my Contour had a Yamaha, designed and built, engine in it. Also, if Ford equiped every V6 Contour with a Yamaha engine, the costs of parts for the engine, if anything ever failed, would be way cheaper. smile I think you can still think of the comparison kind of fair when you consider the V6 Yamaha engine is a 13 year old design.

How many SVT engines were produced? Not that I'm comparing the 2.5 liter SVT to the 3.0 Yamaha. I'm just wondering about the SVT engine's production numbers.

Long Beach, CA, USA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard