Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#121223 07/14/02 06:00 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I was thinking of getting some of this form Summit and wraping my off-road Y-pipe and my Exaust manifolds after I gut my pre-cats. This would cut down on heat under the hood and the transfer of heat to the oil pan down there correct?? Also why does this void most header warrentys? Has anyone done this to reduce heat, is it worth it?

1998.5 Brullen SVT

L
L
header wrap tends to heat-stress the metal, causing cracks and such. I wouldn't do it, I don't think it's really designed for a daily road vehicles (versus something race-built).

-Louis
1998 Black E0 #3826, lightly modded
S
S
Plus, the wrap didn't help keep the y-pipe temp down, or the oil temps down for that matter. There was a discussion not too long ago about this...

Chris
NJ
98.5 SVT Silver Frost w/Frankentrans
carsla AT optonline DOT net
S
OP Offline
S
What can you do then?? Can I make a heat shield to deflect heat away from my oil pan. Hot oil, Hot engine, Boom!!!, no more engine.

P
P
Oil cooler. Near the top of my "want" list (like #2). Slowly working it's way over to my "need" list. Of course, the need list is pretty empty because the need budget is shot.

And something better than the SVT cooler, as well.

1998 Silver Frost SVT Contour born on...8/28/01[/i]
American Iron Shootout Radial Tire 2 Class Champion, Cecil County Dragway April 20, 2002
D
D
Thermo-tec also makes an aluminum insulated "heat shield material with sticky back. I have some for application to underside of my UIM and was going to apply to oil pan facing Y-pipe. If sticky does not hold was thinking of large stainless clamps or wire oto hold it. i'll let you know..

1999 Amazon Green SVT Contour (#554/2760)
Stock SVT Duratec V6 with:
Intake- K&N filter/75mm MAF meter
Exhaust- MSDS Y-pipe/Bassani catback
Durability-Ford "dual mode" damper, Mobil 1/K&N oil filter
179.2 FWHP at 6900 RPM
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by PA 3L SVT:
Oil cooler. Near the top of my "want" list (like #2). Slowly working it's way over to my "need" list. Of course, the need list is pretty empty because the need budget is shot.

And something better than the SVT cooler, as well.
The oil cooler does work. The air to oil rad lowers the temps by a good 30-50 degrees.

Chris
NJ
A
A
Ive seen no change in driveability after installing my y-pipe (no oil cooler either). Even after 3 hr trips, the engine runs as smooth as startup. Just my experience...

98 Merc. Mystique LS

Red Wings and US Soccer 0wn j00!
S
S
Quote:
Originally posted by Antiramie:
Ive seen no change in driveability after installing my y-pipe (no oil cooler either). Even after 3 hr trips, the engine runs as smooth as startup. Just my experience...
I didn't see anything either, but the guages don't lie. Whenever I had some fun, the oil tmep shot up and over the 250 degree (F) dial. Once I would let go, the temp would drop, very slowly, to about 220, and this was this winter. I found out the stock y-pipe has insualtion on it, for just this problem. It was recommended to me to get an additional oil cooler installed to remedy this, which it has. Or, you could always get an exhaust shop to take apart your stock y-pipe and somehow attach the insulation to your new y-pipe.

Chris
NJ
G
G
I have the off-road Y-Pipe........
and I've read much about higher temps........

Basically, where can I get the least expensive OIL cooler for my 98 SVT?

J.Oetting
98 SVT Contour
http://www.envuscc.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard